HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2014, 11:28 PM
Great Day for Up!
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Mar 2012
118 Posts
On a textbook day, my flying site was stuck mostly in lake effect. Puffy clouds 2 miles to the east Nd west. Blue sky above. Random stuff drifting through, but not very organized.

I met up with an older local who has been into sailplane for years. He had his winch out, a sigata 900 and a molded something or other. I had my Libelle... my only DLG and pretty much all I have the time to fly this summer.

In 2 hrs I managed 4, 12 + min flights and many 5+. The guy I was flying with was pretty impressed with the Libelle..."Me and Al have been throwing DLGs for years, and I've never seen anyone get as many good flights in a single afternoon as you just did"

Getting that from someone who was flying since I was 6, made a great day even better.

Love my Libelle.
dadablacsheep is offline Find More Posts by dadablacsheep
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 03:52 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,448 Posts
3 hours this morn was trying out my timer game, was a lot of fun, trying to time each flight as close as pos to the increasing target within a given time slot, with timer set at 6 mins I got a score of 10 which I think is probably the most could be scored in that time.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:18 PM
Adam Gibson
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts
The wind was calm and thermals at times were kicking for about an hour or so at home. I had a 13 minute and almost a 15 minute flight back to back. I got video of it from where I was standing but it is just a spec most of the time so probably not worth posting the video.

I also converted my DLG to Free Flight...

DLG conversion to free flight ;) (0 min 21 sec)

"Notice how quiet the DLG is right before takeoff... No servo jitter. They tend to be pretty quiet when you don't turn the power on to the DLG . Luckily I always set the elevator surface up to relieve the spring tension while stored and to try and help remind me that the power is off. With it set that way it just loops if I launch it without powering it on. I was still trying to control the ailerons on the second loop thinking the elevator cable came off so I was hoping to have some control over the direction. On the third loop I realized what happened. I forgot to wiggle the sticks before takeoff to make sure I turned on the DLG.

No damage to the DLG. I couldn't even find any dents on the leading edge of the wings."
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Last edited by xStatiCa; Jul 06, 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:49 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,289 Posts
ouch ! lucky it's tough

i always make the controls show me some response before i launch, especially as i often change planes with the dx8 and it isn't necessarily on the dlg by default

i'd rather crash it myself than let it have all the fun unattended
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:31 PM
Adam Gibson
United States, FL, New Port Richey
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
i always make the controls show me some response before i launch
I always do too... except for the times that I don't . This is the first time I have done that. I have two checks that I failed to do. Look at elevator to make sure it is not up and move the sticks to see all control surfaces move. I guess I need a third . I think I am just getting too complacent flying at home so often.
xStatiCa is offline Find More Posts by xStatiCa
Old Jul 07, 2014, 02:36 AM
rug
Matt Cook
United Kingdom, New Mills
Joined Feb 2014
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1 View Post
... especially as i often change planes with the dx8 ...
I thought you were a Taranis man now ?

Having bought a 'proper' DLG, I also bought a Taranis, as the DX6i wouldn't do all the things I wanted it to. Still got lots of trimming to do, but decided to show a friend what DLG looks like. Having got used to no launch mode with the MiMi/DX6i, I forgot to pull the momentary switch, and threw it in launch 2 mode - the bit where it is designed to go straight up. Doesn't work so well if throwing straight out

My first snapped boom Now my first repaired boom

Weather looks OK today, so I shall be out testing/trimming later on. Taking it slowly this time. And I have added an irritating noise, repeating every two seconds while in Launch 2 mode

Matt
rug is offline Find More Posts by rug
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:01 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,289 Posts
still playing with the taranis, and too lazy to swap out a working set up in the binary

i am now adept at firmware flashing / wiring vario for the taranis, but completely naive to connecting the servos - i have been watching scott pages videos and feel capable of doing the programming required, but between flying / school holiday duties and shift work lately i haven't made the move

coming soon though, fo' shizzle

edit : plus the other 10 planes already set up in the dx8 will need a spektrum module - easier to have both radios as i have learnt that i can use them together for training also with some fiddling
Last edited by scruffy1; Jul 07, 2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:34 AM
doo
United States, WA, Raymond
Joined Dec 2002
63 Posts
Sloped the ELF off of a river bank.

ELF slope soaring (1 min 43 sec)
doo is offline Find More Posts by doo
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:17 AM
looking up down under
Joined Feb 2008
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo View Post
Sloped the ELF off of a river bank.
go you lefty !

what a pretty little plane that is
Old Jul 08, 2014, 05:28 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,448 Posts
More lua programming and test flying with Taranis and blaster, I have a few more thing on the game, can now have multiple games of different target time increments and score is specifit to the game that is showing only, and a talking countdown of the last 10 seconds to the target time, "point" is spoken when a target it reached followed by a the next target time needed.
And I added a high score too.
So wind dropped a bit for 1/2 hour and I went down and tested it, was very good-much easeier with the 10 second count down, the wind dropped to nothing and the sky went black, I took no chances and went home only to be locked out by the wife! So set up the sticky throttle under the pergola for my powered gliders which I had been meaning to do for ages.

Wife eventually came home and let me in lol.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
I did a servo swap/upgrade on my FW5 #2, swapped my DS285's out for some Futaba 3154's. So far they are very nice and crisp and don't seem to have the minor thermal drift I was getting with the JR's. Thanks for the recommendation, Mickey!
You're welcome. I'm amused that others won't try the futaba servos.
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Today, 08:14 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129 View Post
You're welcome. I'm amused that others won't try the futaba servos.
Honestly, I just didn't know which ones to try because they're number labeling of the different models is a bit intimidating to me!

I've been diligently plugging away on my new FW5 SL each night. If the USPS man smiles upon me today, it will be done tonight. Pics to follow
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Today, 10:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,674 Posts
I got in some after dinner DLGing at a school near where I live. It's a Long Shot but I don't know which one. I should activate the Concept X I repaired.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 09:33 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2004
1,637 Posts
I have been getting alot of stick time on the elf lately. Mostly at parks after work. The thermals vary from slight to OK. I have had a lot of people approach me with questions. I leave with a smile on my face every time.
Eyefly is online now Find More Posts by Eyefly