HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:07 PM
I survived La Bajada!
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Nov 2006
144 Posts
Help!
Super Sportster LG Straps

Anyone know where I can buy flat main landing gear straps for the Great Planes Giant Super Sportster? I have not found a part #.
jasbury1 is offline Find More Posts by jasbury1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
LG straps

Were they flat gray plastic straps? If so I have a set you can have free with your mailing address. I assembled a GS Sportster a couple months ago and put the LG on the fuse instead of using the stock ones in the wing. The building guide should show the part #. Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasbury1 View Post
Anyone know where I can buy flat main landing gear straps for the Great Planes Giant Super Sportster? I have not found a part #.
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:02 PM
I survived La Bajada!
Joined Nov 2006
144 Posts
Yes, they were the grey ones. I'll send you a PM. Thank you
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:57 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
445 Posts
I recently rebuilt a smashed Giant Sportster, the damage was caused by a midair.

During the rebuild I decided to migrate the landing gear to the fuselage and I am very happy with the result.

The wings now fit nicely in protective sleeves for transport and take up a lot less space during storage.

No landing loads/stresses to wings.

Have a look at my relevant thread if you like, it may give you some ideas.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73621

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:20 AM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
445 Posts
If you are building your Sportster now I recommend that you relocate your aileron servos as close to the aileron as you can.

The original position is very far from the hinge line and this leads to a ridiculously long pushrods that has been that have been known to fail due to high flexing from engine vibration.

Watch in the video below how the pushrods flex, it will give you an idea what I am getting at.

RC Parachute drop goes all wrong at SCCMAS GoPro (3 min 44 sec)

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
I survived La Bajada!
Joined Nov 2006
144 Posts
Mike your new gear looks excellent. I also had an aileron pushrod fail at the solder joint a few months ago. Now I know why.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, NC, Morehead City
Joined Mar 2008
21 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I have a quick question for you Giant Super Sportster flyers.

I am looking at buying one from another flyer. It has not been flown yet. My concern is that it has an O.S. 120 engine on it. I notice that most that I have seen online have been flown with the 160 size. Is the 120 underpowered for this plane? I'm not looking for 3D like performance, but I do like doing traditional aerobatics.

Thanks!
C4pnD4v3 is offline Find More Posts by C4pnD4v3
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
I survived La Bajada!
Joined Nov 2006
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4pnD4v3 View Post
I am looking at buying one from another flyer. It has not been flown yet. My concern is that it has an O.S. 120 engine on it. I notice that most that I have seen online have been flown with the 160 size. Is the 120 underpowered for this plane? I'm not looking for 3D like performance, but I do like doing traditional aerobatics.

Thanks!
I run a 30cc gasser. I don't know if the power is equivalent to glow engines, but it has adequate power. It does not maintain vertical climb out.