HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2004, 06:51 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Universal Fuselage ...FSW...X Plane

... here's a cute little flyer , I've been working on .... It's a takeoff of HIPPO's X-Bow (Thank You Dan !!!)... I made some modifications to my original plans posted at www.FoamFly.com in the Universal Fuselage section of the photo gallery .... basically I raised the wing above the centerline of the Uni Fuse , and moved the wing forward so it ends as the rudder begins...(looked better).... Now it has a wonderfull bird-like quality to it (ah, esthetics!!!) and seems to have a real cool glide (so far)....Test flights tomorrow , if the downpours stop ...hahahahaha I'll have to get some floats from Hippo if this keeps UP...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2004, 06:55 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
GEE!!! Some pics would be nice...

for your viewing entertainment....
Old Jun 25, 2004, 08:00 PM
USA, VA, Centreville
Joined Jan 2003
96 Posts
Very, very sweet! Let us know how it flies - it looks like real slick ship!
turaboy is offline Find More Posts by turaboy
Old Jun 26, 2004, 09:44 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I like

So, how'd it go? Does it float or fly? IPS? How's about a little bit more chord, or will it slow down enough, now? Where's the Sharpie Art? What's the weight? Where's the cg? What's the capitol of Idaho? Who's on first? Are we there yet? Are we ever going to eat again? Why do you make me ask so many questions? ...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jun 27, 2004, 04:57 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Boise???

OK!!! Here's the story ...... I "guesstimated" the cg at the leading edge of the wing at the fuse..... WRONG !!! First launch almost hit me in the foot ...Really!!!! I moved the etek-700 (1.2 oz.) back (aft) about an inch .... second launch needed a little UP trim and of course some right trim , and it was off...... Flies really SMOOTH and quite fast for the undercambered airfoil , this was pleasant and quite unexpected ... Looks REALLY GREAT in the air with it's hawklike profile and "Mooney" tail.... I immediately got lots of positive esthetic comments from FB's at the field....and it's stable too!!!
AUW is 5.3 oz. without the battery .... ips twin S1 motor , 9x5 HD prop (which seems to like this motor) not a large wing so it doesn't glide like a sailplane , but the glide was predictable enough to allow me to catch it on all subsequent flights (after that first dork thingie)... Hey!!! I really like this one !!!!!!!!

PS. tried as I might , I couldn't get it to loop??? Demon roller though... more testing ...

We might have to put the DCM-189 in this one .... just for a little more power ...hehehehehehe

Sharpie art??? ... gotta' go to the Wal-mart for more ....
Who's on first??? I Dunno'!!! The one who controls the Supreme Court????
Wherever you go , there you are!!!
I'm making Gumbo and hot bread .... Dinner soon ..... just in addition .... Whatever highly informed individual from New York tells you that all Cajun food is HOT (peppers) ... tell em to take a hike.... seems like all "cajun" restaurants elsewhere , the food is inedible with pepper ... they didn't get that from us ......schmaybe' New York Cajun .... sorta' like cajun sushi......????? hahahahahahaha
any more questions? ( another question ) my "Honorary Doctorate" was in "StandUP Philosophy"
Last edited by gpw; Jun 27, 2004 at 05:11 PM. Reason: You don't really want to know now, do you?
Old Jun 27, 2004, 06:20 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
any more questions?
Yea, where's the scans, so I can try it
Old Jun 27, 2004, 06:49 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Okay...slurp...Okay! slobber

Ya got me drooling!
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jun 27, 2004, 09:05 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Uh Oh!! Dual posting ...???
Last edited by gpw; Jun 27, 2004 at 09:15 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 09:06 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
http://www.FoamFly.com/gallery/album52 Allthough I made two changes "since" the plans were drawn .....
First , I moved the whole wing Forward until the back of the wing lined UP with the front of the rudder (as has been previously mentioned, and can be seen in the photos).... I did this because it looked much better and it would be easier to balance with the "projected "(wrong ) CG.... It would have been serious nose heavy according to the plans ....wrong again ....!!!
Second , I moved the wing for a while to the top of the Universal Fuselage and even made a filler piece for the fuse where the wing went (still got it)..It was really cute as a high wing ...... Then I got the bright idea of just putting in the slot (like I was supposed to originally ) and hot-gluing the whole thing together...TOG style.... the ws is small and it'll fit anywhere assembled...and I did leave off the wing extensions (at the root)..... wing is now residing 1/2 " above the centerline of the Unifuse , set at 0-0...works amazingly well ...Remember to put about 3/8 " of UP elevon (reflex) in the wing (That's neutral)

This is my last uniFuse .... have to order some more from HIPPO , schmaybe' I can get some in Hippocolors....???? That's eight so far!!! ...... keep thinking that I've played all my Unifuse cards on the table , but I keep finding new designs to try , UP my sleeve , or somewhere .... guess some just Pop UP....
Old Jun 28, 2004, 06:47 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Ok!!! I dressed it UP...
Old Jun 29, 2004, 02:29 AM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Oh! Now does that ever look sweet!

By the way did you bake the wing? It is my guess that you did... I haven't a clue about doing that... Means I will be doing some research.

All I know is I gotta do this plane. I have another project in mind to follow.
A forward -swept wing P51? mustang. I happend to have come across a peanut scale plan for this oddity a few years ago and a fellow from here on the forum helped me by coming up with the plans for it... My intent of course is to enlarge it, use foam and share my experience here! Quite unusual subject to be sure.

The wings on your FS1 remind me so much of my future project and for some reason it just calls to me!

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:27 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
OK, The hook is set...

How about a 'Shocked' X-Bow Parkie for a DCM-189 DD ?

BTW, you made me late for work
Old Jun 29, 2004, 09:31 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,049 Posts
Willin , if you go to the Parkflyer Pete thread #1, on page 10 or so is a simple wing bending jig , uses a Monokote heat gun and gives respectable results without tying UP the oven .... I bake bread too, so no Foamie smelling toast for me...hahahahaha!!!

got to fly this one, this morning again .... did stall tests..... this plane wouldn't stall ... tried everything , when it runs out of power, it just mushed and gently drops the nose .... weird .... COOL!!!! and because of that it can go pretty slow too... I really enjoy this plane , because it can go pretty fast too .... I'm amazed how fast it can go with the undercambered wing..... what's UP with that???? I'm not complaining .... it's just too much FUN!!!! AND I managed a couple of loops today Yipeee!!!!!
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:02 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Printed.... Maybe tonight, between orders from the War Department...

Going to maybe try something different on the control rigging, too... We'll see
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:59 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
HeHeHeHe....