HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2014, 01:23 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Discussion
Tugboat Ontario by RPM

Has anyone seen this kit before? I am about 1/3 into it and cannot find any information about it on the webs.
HunnerBunner is offline Find More Posts by HunnerBunner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2014, 02:28 AM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,887 Posts
It's an older kit, maybe from the eighties. Just a generic copy, of an older European tug. I have never seen what's in the box. Is it all vacume formed, or some styrene ?
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jun 23, 2014, 04:02 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
It's an older kit, maybe from the eighties. Just a generic copy, of an older European tug. I have never seen what's in the box. Is it all vacume formed, or some styrene ?
Vacuum formed ABS. There are some wood bits and brass wire for detailing as well. Instructions are a single three-view with lots of japanese scribbles. It did come with a motor, rheostat and drive hardware. Think low quality vac-u-tug.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 04:46 PM
Union, Maine
Joined Jul 2006
3,904 Posts
Nice looking model actually!
Jerome Morris is offline Find More Posts by Jerome Morris
Old Jun 23, 2014, 06:21 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,814 Posts
OK Model Co. was one of the most highly regarded model airplane kit manufacturers in the 70's and 80's. They sold model airplane kits under the "Pilot" brand name. The factory in Japan burned to the ground and everything was lost.

Today, Pilot kits are highly sought after collectors items and command high prices.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:28 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
OK Model Co. was one of the most highly regarded model airplane kit manufacturers in the 70's and 80's. They sold model airplane kits under the "Pilot" brand name. The factory in Japan burned to the ground and everything was lost.

Today, Pilot kits are highly sought after collectors items and command high prices.
Standards have certainly changed in 30 years. I can't say it's a bad kit now that I know how old it is. The more I build it, the more I enjoy the attention I have to give it. I have to figure out what scale it is and start looking for detail pieces.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:01 PM
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Aug 2011
1,887 Posts
Not having seen one out of the box, I don't know the exact size of the house, but, my guess would be the same as the Robbe and Graupner kits, 1/48--1/50. A good size, BUT, with Robbe and Graupner NOT making any scale kits, OR replacement details, you are going to have to scrounge around. I would start with Harbor Models, as they are the closest to you, and specialize in Tugs. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:40 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Here are the instructions for those who might be interested.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:42 AM
boat butcher
Whittier CA.
Joined Oct 2009
1,045 Posts
I do remember seeing those kits at Hobby People (Hobby Shack) in the 80"s. Have you been to the model boat basin at Mission Bay to run with the scale boaters on Saturday mornings?

Mark
the goon is online now Find More Posts by the goon
Old Jun 26, 2014, 01:33 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
It looks to be about the same scale as the vac-u-tug in the foreground. I still have some fender tires from that project but that's it for detail stuff. These guys will look good running together at the pond.
Last edited by HunnerBunner; Jun 26, 2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 10:09 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,814 Posts
From what I can see of it, it looks nice! Show some more photos of the Ontario.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jun 27, 2014, 01:25 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
From what I can see of it, it looks nice! Show some more photos of the Ontario.
Here is a bit more progress from tonight. It still needs some rigging, railings and rust. I also need to figure out some scuppers. A few detail parts are on their way from harbor models too.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 01:40 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
916 Posts
Great find. I seem to have recollections of this kit in recent memory--believe me I have combed the web looking for past and present tugboat kits and no doubt have seen most including this one. Too bad the manufacturer is gone, really gone.

The more you dispense with the gloss paint, the better it will look. Gloss rarely looks correct on a scale working vessel but ends up making it appear toylike.

The middle window on the pilothouse looks like it is for a door. You could put one there if only just the outline or rim of a WT door. Again nice find; more pics please.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Harquebus; Jun 27, 2014 at 01:46 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 01:19 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2003
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harquebus View Post
Great find. I seem to have recollections of this kit in recent memory--believe me I have combed the web looking for past and present tugboat kits and no doubt have seen most including this one. Too bad the manufacturer is gone, really gone.

The more you dispense with the gloss paint, the better it will look. Gloss rarely looks correct on a scale working vessel but ends up making it appear toylike.

The middle window on the pilothouse looks like it is for a door. You could put one there if only just the outline or rim of a WT door. Again nice find; more pics please.
Don't worry it wont be glossy for long. Once the doors are installed its going to get rusty and grimy.