Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Discussion
Don't test Hobbyking!

I wonder what other flyers as customers have found in dealing with Hobbyking ? I mean when they have had an after-sales problem. I have had a few. I am probably one of their best customers, with over 60 orders and I hate to think how much spent! A "platinum" customer, promised all kinds of tender loving care! until something goes wrong. Out of all the goods I have bought something had to fail and I accepted that, especially as I would have to pay the return post even if the item was indeed useless. But there is a limit; batches of hxt 500 servos ( about 8% of these fail and not always when you first test them , and my carefully researched review was never posted-strange). Since these were pulled out of a plane or had been waiting on my shelf unopened for a month or two they were non-returnable,no way were they going to replace them, despite my having bought about 200!. ESC's that would only work on 2 cells,the odd motor,that I rewound....I drew the line at a corona synthesised rx 4ch that I tested immediately.I went through the proper channels and sent it off, asking for it to be replaced and sent after 3 months.Agreed. Now they have "no information" on and it and wont reply to e-mails . I have never had a review posted, they just disappear! despite being the result of real experience. 90% of their reviews are trivial,even dubious (do they pay for them?) I would have thought as an international company they would catch up with modern customer relations, long term strategies. It appears they have only borrowed the patter ,not the practice! Beware , don't test your platinum status!
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:21 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,980 Posts
Hobby King is a place for the WELL educated consumer. I never recommend them to anyone who is new to the hobby. Horizon Hobby is the place to go for the un-educated customer. They will take good care of you.

I've spent quite a bit at Hobby King (About $3000), and had a couple failures. I still feel like I'm way ahead though.

I buy (and have good luck with) SK series motors, Plush ESCs, Flightmax and Turnigy batteries, Turnigy light electric wood props, and TONS of wires and small items like lights, heat shrink, battery connectors, servo extensions, bullet connectors.

I do NOT buy radio equipment, servos, air frames, or other labeled batteries, motors, or ESCs.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:31 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,920 Posts
Yep, HK has return bins spread out across the country in every home
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I have had two issues that were successfully resolved with HK. In each case it took some effort. I've had one small motor DOA that I didn't bother pursuing. A few sub-brands I've learned to avoid over time... Bluebird servos, and Rhino batteries.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Mar 22, 2011, 05:55 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
I HAVE BOUGHT A LOT, BUT NOT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS. Sorry about the caps. The motors I bought were OK, and the servos I bought were too. I had OK luck with the HXT 500 and 900 servos, had a few stop working one or two not work at the outset. I bought some ESC's and here I have had the wrst experience. a couple that didn't work, one that put 9 volts out through the BEC, that I put a rat shack regulator on and it works, and one I can't program to save my life, for brake and higher pole count motors.
You get what you pay for, so buy extra. The motors are OK, at least the Turnigy ones. I like the Rhino lipos. The no name ESC's I wouldn't buy, nor the HXT either, unless you can live with a high failure rate on these. I bought some GWS ESC's and they had a pretty good price for them.
I had bought JETI before. If you can get one out of three of the cheapo ESC's to work, you're still ahead.

Oh I bought some vigor servos and some HXT metal gear , I think they are 14 gram jobbers. So far three out of three work. I wouldn't knock the Turnigy motors, just be careful of the wires where they come out of the motor, and they can sometimes be tough to solder plugs to, not being really supple either.

Jake
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:05 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,495 Posts
I assume that there is no warranty and leave it at that...
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:08 PM
Concord, MA
Joined Jun 2002
1,113 Posts
OK lemme tell you about batteries. The balance taps are really short on these and you will pull the wires out of your batteries when you try to plug them into the charger. I bought a charger from HK, a Turnigy Accucell 6. Works great. I also bought 10 8 inch extension wires with plugs for jst 3 cell balance plugs, and this solves the too-short wires problem too, plus I have adapted most of my other lipos to this style balance plug using the other 9 extensions that I got for like 2$.

The planes they sell, on the other hand...Well lets just say foam is for keeping beer cold, not making planes. And something that looks great maybe won't fly great. Balsa builds better, and if you made it, you can probably fix it when it breaks.

My favorite ESC is a E-Flite that has the female plugs soldered to the board, so they can't bump into the other plugs and short. I think they make a 20 and 35 amp version. Expect to pay maybe $50 for them at the LHS.
BEA flyer is offline Find More Posts by BEA flyer
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:16 PM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,940 Posts
I agree with;
Hobby King is a place for the WELL educated consumer. I never recommend them to anyone who is new to the hobby. Horizon Hobby is the place to go for the un-educated customer. They will take good care of you.
And;
I won't buy their Airframes or Lipos, bad experience there.

I saw a video interview with the Australian owner of HK, he really is trying. He gets an A for Effort, a B or C for excution and a D or F for follow up. I really believe some of the problems are never brought to his attention, Subordinates want to run an A_OK department, not "I've got problems with...., can you help me?" type of work ethic.

Remember, Walter Demming was accepted wholeheartedly in Japan, but boo'd off the stage in China, Mao killed anyone that had "Problems" in their work, Japan wanted into the US and EU markets after WW2 desperatly, and knew thay had inferior abilities compared to the West.
Capt. Crunch is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old Mar 22, 2011, 06:17 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
I'm doing alright from Hk, but understandably they will have a failure rate at such cheap rpices. I mean, hell, yeveryones heard the old adage 'you get what you pay for' right? Well, case in point.

All that aside, I'd recommend you not buy a plane from them 'ready to fly' with all the gear installed... hell... I probably wouldn't do that with many companies at all bar the exxy ones, and I can't justify the price on those.

I like buying their cheap airframes and then outfitting them with some half-decent flying gear. I've found this works well (on my 'J3 [Green]' at least) and will do it again. Their Turnigy and Rhino batteries are working well for me, too.

Cheers - boingk

Quote:
Japan wanted into the US and EU markets after WW2 desperatly, and knew thay had inferior abilities compared to the West.
Right, which is why they now have one of the largest economies in the world. That statement is fraut with innaccuracies. Just like all countries, you can buy any quality of product you want from Japan - you generally have to pay for quality, funnily enough, much as is the case in other countries.
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
Hobby King is a place for the WELL educated consumer. I never recommend them to anyone who is new to the hobby. Horizon Hobby is the place to go for the un-educated customer.

-Jay
I totally disagree with this.

If a company says they will give you a product then they should deliver. You should not have to jump through hoops to get what you have paid for NO MATTER WHAT IT COST. Good services is not for the uneducated customer only.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:58 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post

If a company says they will give you a product then they should deliver. You should not have to jump through hoops to get what you have paid for NO MATTER WHAT IT COST. Good services is not for the uneducated customer only.

Jim
Hi Jim,

I think the point he was trying to make is that while we can get some great merchandise from HK a lot cheaper than what we can obtain from major vendors, the mystery area seems to be exactly what merchandise is good, and what is garbage; ergo his statement that the well educated member can do well on HK, while the first timer may be forced to get burned a time or two before he gets up to speed, so to speak.
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:20 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
I assume that there is no warranty and leave it at that...
Yup, if I get a DOA from HK, it's not worth messing with.

Hence why I buy low dollar stuff from them. Cheap servos, connectors, wires, servo extensions, servo tester, etc.

I just ordered two of the Orange Rxs. At $7.95, if one works, I got my money's worth. If both work, I'll feel awesome.

Motors, ESCs, batteries I always get from someone like headsuprc and the like. Those guys will help if things go bad. And their prices are pretty close as well.

My latest order arrived today and everything was perfect. Including the Cellpro 8 tester. My next two orders are still on their way currently according to their tracking.

I want one of those 9ch radios, but I just know that if I order one and drop $60 plus shipping I'll get burned, so I talk myself out of it each time.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:22 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEA flyer View Post
The planes they sell, on the other hand...Well lets just say foam is for keeping beer cold, not making planes. And something that looks great maybe won't fly great. Balsa builds better, and if you made it, you can probably fix it when it breaks.

There are thousands of us that will disagree with you on this all day long.
I fly both balsa built ups and foam kits/arfs. Love them all. They all have their place.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:01 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2011
2,120 Posts
^ Exactly. I fly a cheap $20 airframe from HK that I put cheap, $40 electrics in and paid $15 postage on. It flies well... especially so considering it only cost $75 to get to my door, ready to build & bind to my DX5.

As with all planes, you only find out how strong they are in a crash. My solution? Don't bloody crash! I know its unavoidable at times but, come on... know your (and your planes) limits. Getting windy? Nearing the end of the pack? Bring her in and land before you do something stupid, and you won't have to find out just how strong it actually is.

On the spektrum-compatible Rx's they offer, I've got two and they both work very well, so have another two on the way. No problems at all here so far except for some props that are very out of balance.

Cheers - boingk
boingk is offline Find More Posts by boingk
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
2,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post

Jim
Well, this statement applies two ways.. and I support both of them.

1st Chuck nails it. Hobby King sells a lot of duds. And, since their laws are different than in the US, a lot of their marketing isn't completely accurate. I don't want to see someone enter the hobby, get burned by hobby king, and then get out of the hobby due to frustration.

The other part... Let's say I sell eggs. You can buy a dozen eggs from the big US grocery store for $12. Or you could buy a dozen eggs from me for $4. Catch is, it takes a couple weeks to get my eggs, and 1 or 2 might be broken when you get them from me. Anyone could figure out that the $4 eggs are the better deal even with two broken ones. To spend $4 on the eggs and then demand a replacement for the broken ones is being naive. How do you think I get my prices down to $4?

Here again we end up getting bit by the marketing. If I came right out and said "Here buy my eggs for $4 (2 may be broken)" then I doubt anyone would complain or be surprised. But Hobby King often advertises "Top Quality, Excellent" products that really aren't.

-Jay
CyberJay is online now Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite 85" Carbon-Z Cub