HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:13 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sergey_ View Post
Exactly what I was looking for. No accessories, no memory cards, just bare bone camera.
Actually xamindar`s link has the car charger included.
It`s not a bare bone camera (with just a cable).
But it does not include registered airmail shipping and the 110-220V wall cigarette adapter.
There is a very small price difference and you know better which to pick, based on your needs/wallet.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Actually xamindar`s link has the car charger included.
It`s not a bare bone camera (with just a cable).
I wasn't aware that you could even buy the camera without the car charger. Any links to such a deal? I would be interested in that type of deal when getting a second camera.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee View Post
W I B N I
to have a large(ish) count down from when the file is written to the camera, to when you should switch it on to get the time right?
For the chronologially challenged like me
Mike
OK, it's been almost two weeks since you posted your message, and I've been dabbling a bit... felt like writing something for fun...
Is this what you mean by W I B N I ? Maybe even a larger count down?

This is a working gimmick, extremely simple, no clock, no user input, just two clicks. I wrote this program to try and get the camera clock synchronized to the second, but I'm still having problems... I think the camera ignores the seconds. I've wasted too much time testing and have given up for the time being - maybe later...

Be warned - you may have to wait up to 105 seconds, it's just a W I B N I as you requested. Use it or forget it - yes it works Is it useful? I doubt it

Download here.

Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:26 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
LOL I think I have been exonerated - thanks guys LOL

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:32 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleG View Post
Any updates regarding the white balance issue?
No, not yet. I will post here as soon as I hear anything. I'm just as anxious to get it as anyone!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
I'm having some issues with 1 of my 2 cams.

The oldest had originally Firmware 1. The newer seemed to have firmware 2 since 'firmware 1 continuous recording' gave it a crappy 320x200 video recording and after flashing firmware 2, it worked fine again.

the older doesn't show a red LED when powered on pin 4 (car adaptor). The newer cam does light up the red LED when powered on pin 4 (car adaptor).

The newer cam stil works fine. The older one has a bad battery. The battery isn't swollen but still nice and flat. But I can only record for about 12 minutes (the newer cam somewhere about the usual 40 minutes).

The problem is I don't know when the battery problem was caused. It might be Firmware 2, it might be the custom cable I made by connecting a normal USB cable to the car adaptor cable where I cut of the adaptor and from the normal USB cable I cut of the mini-usb plug. Then I put the 2 cables together. This cable also might have damaged the circuit board? I don't know.

I created new custom cables, this time a normal USB cable with cut off mini USB. I ordered some 5-pin mini USB plugs on the internet and connected it to the USB cable with only the 0 and 5V cables connected to pin 5 and 4 (in this order, so 5V on pin 4). But I put a diode between the +5 and pin 4 to lower the voltage by 0,7V. This cable works fine with the newer cam but the older cam doesn't charge with this cable but it does with the 'cut-off adaptor cable to the cut-off USB cable', both plugged in to any USB port or USB charger.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem? (I expected the battery to be swollen but agin: it isn't)
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:46 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
I've read posts #1-#3 and was trying to follow the topic and honestly... I am lost...

Guys, may I ask you a favor? Can you please post a single link to the right place where I can buy THE #11 camera that will be mounted on the plane for in-flight videos.

Thanks!
ALL of the 8 eBay sellers listed in Post #2 sell these #11HD key chain cameras. Look for "H.264" and "1280x720" in the add banners to know it is the #11HD (if the banner doesn't specifically #11 HD camera). They come with different accessory packages, you can pick what you want from the ads. Prices from different vendors are typically within $1 when shipping is figured in. Best to get one with no flash memory card... get that from domestic sources so you know for sure the manufacturer. All of the vendors have proven track record.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
First, you have two different versions of the camera (forget the firmware for a moment). I think your newer camera is a V3 circuit board. See the Post #2 for more details and pics, but mainly the charging circuits have been revised. The v3 will light the red camera LED with it's car charger. Your other camera is a v1 or v2 camera, differentiated only by the CMOS ribbon cable (see Post #2 for more details). Neither will light the RED LED with it's car charger. It is suspected that the v3 revisions charge the battery via the cameras built in lipo charge management IC rather than by simply paralleling the internal battery wires with an external power source with reduced output voltage like v1/v2.

The camera batteries that came with v1 and v2 have a tiny integral circuit board (soldered to the battery tabs inside the tape) that brackets the voltage going into and out of the camera. It acts to break the circuit if voltage gets too high or too low for the safety and health of the lipo. I have personally used an external charger with the special cable plug (+5V on pin 4) and have not done any apparent damage to the camera or lipo. But its advisable to drop the external charger voltage closer to 4.2V on that camera versions.

I got a bit lost in your description of your mods. There may also be a change in the car chargers with v3, e.g. is it a generic USB charger with +5v on pin #1, or is it like the ones that came with v1/v2 cameras with +5V on pin #4?. And if the latter, can any of the cameras be damaged by using the wrong car charger?

I have specifically asked the developer about this, but am still waiting for his reply. I don't have a v3 car charger. Maybe you or other users can clear this up.

I do not know if the Release 2 firmware is part of the mystery or not. We only know that any of the cameras can accept Release 2 firmware and function fine, but none of them can be flashed back to Release 1 afterwards and still function properly.

<EDIT> It also possible your poor battery performance has nothing to do with any of the above! My orignal battery started getting weak after about a couple dozen cycles. I noticed recording time had dropped to about 25 min. vs the 43 min. I got with a fresh battery. This seems to be a common theme based on ongoing posts here. <EDIT>

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
I'm having some issues with 1 of my 2 cams.

The oldest had originally Firmware 1. The newer seemed to have firmware 2 since 'firmware 1 continuous recording' gave it a crappy 320x200 video recording and after flashing firmware 2, it worked fine again.

the older doesn't show a red LED when powered on pin 4 (car adaptor). The newer cam does light up the red LED when powered on pin 4 (car adaptor).

The newer cam stil works fine. The older one has a bad battery. The battery isn't swollen but still nice and flat. But I can only record for about 12 minutes (the newer cam somewhere about the usual 40 minutes).

The problem is I don't know when the battery problem was caused. It might be Firmware 2, it might be the custom cable I made by connecting a normal USB cable to the car adaptor cable where I cut of the adaptor and from the normal USB cable I cut of the mini-usb plug. Then I put the 2 cables together. This cable also might have damaged the circuit board? I don't know.

I created new custom cables, this time a normal USB cable with cut off mini USB. I ordered some 5-pin mini USB plugs on the internet and connected it to the USB cable with only the 0 and 5V cables connected to pin 5 and 4 (in this order, so 5V on pin 4). But I put a diode between the +5 and pin 4 to lower the voltage by 0,7V. This cable works fine with the newer cam but the older cam doesn't charge with this cable but it does with the 'cut-off adaptor cable to the cut-off USB cable', both plugged in to any USB port or USB charger.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem? (I expected the battery to be swollen but agin: it isn't)
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 10, 2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:42 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
ALL of the 8 eBay sellers listed in Post #2 sell these #11HD key chain cameras. Look for "H.264" and "1280x720" in the add banners to know it is the #11HD (if the banner doesn't specifically #11 HD camera). They come with different accessory packages, you can pick what you want from the ads. Prices from different vendors are typically within $1 when shipping is figured in. Best to get one with no flash memory card... get that from domestic sources so you know for sure the manufacturer. All of the vendors have proven track record.
Thanks Tom! I think my confusion is because I read somewhere on this thread that there is an old 808 model to avoid. And some banners from the post #2 sellers say 808#11 HD camera H.264 1280x720 and some don't include 808.

I ordered Transcend class 10 MicroSD 4GB card for it for $10.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:06 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom! I think my confusion is because I read somewhere on this thread that there is an old 808 model to avoid. And some banners from the post #2 sellers say 808#11 HD camera H.264 1280x720 and some don't include 808.

I ordered Transcend class 10 MicroSD 4GB card for it for $10.
Yes... all of the one's denoted as "808" with versions up to #10 are COMPLETELY different. Some are OK, #3 especially, but all have non-HD CMOS sensors with only VGA (640x480) frame sizes. There's another "MEGA Keychain" thread discussing all those. When The #11 appeared, it was out of place being discussed with all those others, and that's why I started this thread.

GREAT price on the Transcend card. I had not even seen a CL10 card listed for Transcend previously. That's the price I paid for my CL6 cards. But, my CL6 cards will produce sequential write speed test results (between 11-12 MB/s) in excess of CL10 minimum speed requirements, so I'm wondering if Transcend has merely increased the speed rating on their existing cards, or created an even faster card. Either way your card should be more than adequate.

If you get a chance, maybe you can test yours using the CrystalDiskMark utility (free download) and post the results here? If I needed more flash cards, I'd jump on the ones you linked.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
I got a bit lost in your description of your mods. There may also be a change in the car chargers with v3, e.g. is it a generic USB charger with +5v on pin #1, or is it like the ones that came with v1/v2 cameras with +5V on pin #4?.
The 2 car adaptors are 100% identical. Both have the same circuit board, same components and both 0V to pin 5 and 5V to pin 4.
Quote:
And if the latter, can any of the cameras be damaged by using the wrong car charger?
That can't be the case since the adaptors are identical

That leaves firmware (less likely I think but not impossible I guess) or powersource.

I have a few USB adaptors on 230V (electrical wiring in my house). I just took one of them, plugged the first custom cable in (created of a normal USB cable with cut-off mini-USB, connected to the cut-off cable of the supplied car adaptor)

Perhaps the voltage was somewhat to high... unfortunately I can't recall which 230V adaptor I used.
Quote:
I have specifically asked the developer about this, but am still waiting for his reply. I don't have a v3 car charger. Maybe you or other users can clear this up.
Telling by the red LED lighting when connected to the car adaptor, it seems I do have 1 V3 cam, supposedly supplied with a 'V3' car adaptor. But as I mentioned, no difference.
Quote:
I do not know if the Release 2 firmware is part of the mystery or not. We only know that any of the cameras can accept Release 2 firmware and function fine, but none of them can be flashed back to Release 1 afterwards and still function properly.

<EDIT> It also possible your poor battery performance has nothing to do with any of the above! My orignal battery started getting weak after about a couple dozen cycles. I noticed recording time had dropped to about 25 min. vs the 43 min. I got with a fresh battery. This seems to be a common theme based on ongoing posts here. <EDIT>
For the money you can't expect miracles (even though the video quality can be called 'miraculously good' for the money) so a bad battery is a possible cause indeed. Maybe that's what I'll have to accept for a cause.
wfvn is offline Find More Posts by wfvn
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
Ugly planes do not fly
USA, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2007
1,689 Posts
Quote:
If you get a chance, maybe you can test yours using the CrystalDiskMark utility (free download) and post the results here? If I needed more flash cards, I'd jump on the ones you linked.
Sure, I will. I suspect though what you said about CL6 is correct. There is no difference in price between CL6 and CL10 for that card. Can be exactly same card.
_Sergey_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sergey_
Old Jun 10, 2011, 02:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfvn View Post
The 2 car adaptors are 100% identical. Both have the same circuit board, same components and both 0V to pin 5 and 5V to pin 4.
Telling by the red LED lighting when connected to the car adaptor, it seems I do have 1 V3 cam, supposedly supplied with a 'V3' car adaptor. But as I mentioned, no difference.
Thanks for clearing up the car charger pinouts.... good to know users don't have to be concerned with swapping the car chargers that
come with their different camera versions.

There are circuit board revisions shown in Post #2. So it now appears the changes might be routing charging power on pin #4 OR pin #1 through the charge management IC for better charging control, but power on Pin 4 (with nothing on the data pins) can also allows the camera to record normally while charging.

The remaining question for me is whether the car charger power can now be +5V, just like a normal USB port from my PC with power on pin #1, and have the voltage regulated within the camera as opposed to doing this externally with a diode or voltage regulator?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:49 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Mar 2005
48 Posts
BEST HD H264 #11 and Where to buy

http://myworld.ebay.com/eletech086/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

'Top left' of page click- 'items for sale' and different options appear-scroll down to see #11 808 that suits--ie charger or no charger etc---scroll to bottom to go to next page.
(careful to stay with HD)--- I will order now Item Number 160561330625 or same c/w/12vdc/220vac charger & USB Cord etc at $42.99. Scroll down and all sorts of details and products appear.

Full Camera Description:720p#11--1280x720p H.264 30fps .mov HD818
HD818 appears on url above under his BIO...Business info...History--Camera etc then HD818 end of paragraph--Typo?

Have I got this right (Before I order) Thanks

ITEM NUMBER = 160561330625..........unless it sells- then it will be gone--another(same goods)..item no. 150570251992
Equate is offline Find More Posts by Equate
Last edited by Equate; Jun 11, 2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: info update
Old Jun 10, 2011, 11:55 PM
Colorado Mountains
Joined Aug 2010
327 Posts
Your instructions to find your item do not lead me to the item you describe. To be sure we know which item you are referring to - Give us the ITEM NUMBER. It looks like this: Item number: 150570251992 It's on the right side of the page, second little box down under "Other item info".
zrobbie is offline Find More Posts by zrobbie
Closed Thread