SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Discussion
Here we go, Blade SR at 1000 flights, all original! (for Balr too!)

I bought this Blade SR as soon as they were released. It has been flown almost every day, in most cases, several flights each time. I always keep a log on the number of flights all of my helicopters have on them, mainly to keep track of battery use.

So, this Blade SR passed 1000 flights this weekend. All original, not one single component changed - not even the blades. It's never been crashed, nor modified in any way. I like the SR as a nice, relaxing heli to fly. I've read the countless stories of tail motors going bad and other things, so it could be that I'm just very lucky.

I will note one thing though: this SR is almost always flown in idle-up (stunt) mode, and in that mode the tail motor is not working as hard as it does in normal mode. In idle-up mode, the SR's tail actually holds very well, since it does not have to counter the torque from changing head speed in normal mode.

You will note that I moved two weights to the ends of the flybar, which helps this heli manage a great deal more wind this way in idle-up mode.

It still flies great!
Technica is offline Find More Posts by Technica
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:26 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,233 Posts
One of problems they had with this is many simply could not fly a heli. Then Blame heli as pos. That said its gone anyway. The adds were decieving as it was not a new flyer heli. I have the Huey and damaged rear section of very thin plastic. My fault for not keeping eye on it better. All fixed ans maybe someday get new rear body section.
Congrads on 1000 I'm sure you are quite alone in this feat. Brovo ! Strange that they sold UH-1 Huey RTF for $99.95 but held this at $129.95 at the end of price dump ?
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:10 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
One of problems they had with this is many simply could not fly a heli. Then Blame heli as pos. That said its gone anyway. The adds were decieving as it was not a new flyer heli. I have the Huey and damaged rear section of very thin plastic. My fault for not keeping eye on it better. All fixed ans maybe someday get new rear body section.
Congrads on 1000 I'm sure you are quite alone in this feat. Brovo ! Strange that they sold UH-1 Huey RTF for $99.95 but held this at $129.95 at the end of price dump ?
Thank you . And I agree - I think a lot of people took to Blade's advertising with this heli, thinking it would be much easier to fly than it was. I remember all of the 'first time' flights on YouTube and crashes, then people blaming the heli.

I should have bought the Huey when they were being sold at $99. I came too late and they were sold out . They are really cool looking. This was the only SR I owned until Blade began blowing them out at $129, then I bought two more. I think when it's in idle-up mode and with some good radio programming, the SR is a heck of a lot of fun to fly, and it handles better than a lot of people may be led to believe.

I know the tail motors on these helis were not known to be reliable, however if it matters, this SR was almost never hovering stationary - it was always in motion.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 01:17 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,233 Posts
My Huey had bad tail wag. Adjusted the gain and it was ok. you need to keep bird moving and not bad at all. Huey looks cool flying. Decent power with bl main. You could convert SR to Huey easy. Tail pod is different/ body kit.
APP. $46.00 for parts. Might seem high but not really. Plus your a 1000 Man.
Many new heli owners maybe fly some lawn darts and think hey this RC is easy. Get a c/p heli and destroy it in short order. WHY ? they can't fly for #$%$
Then go on forum saying heli is trash. They explain issues they had but leave out their lack of skill, if any.
Example recent 200 SR tons of issues. Some legit but fact many clueless owners with little to no experience on FBL bl bird. Guess what Bunky you need to be able to fly a heli first FBL F/P is close to a c/p in normal mode. If I'm going to pay $250.00 for a heli I sure want some backround on flying. Sim is not flying either.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jul 27, 2014, 02:15 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technica View Post
I will note one thing though: this SR is almost always flown in idle-up (stunt) mode, and in that mode the tail motor is not working as hard as it does in normal mode. In idle-up mode, the SR's tail actually holds very well, since it does not have to counter the torque from changing head speed in normal mode.
Just curious about this comment.

Doesn't changing the pitch alone also cause an increase in torque causing the tail motor to work harder?
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Old Jul 27, 2014, 03:39 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn McKinney View Post
Just curious about this comment.

Doesn't changing the pitch alone also cause an increase in torque causing the tail motor to work harder?
Yes it does, however since the head speed is constant in idle-up mode, there is much less sudden high loading on the tail motor with main rotor pitch changes. Even when flying the SR aggressively in idle-up, the tail holds and does not blow out. Of course it's not as locked in as a variable-pitch tail that is driven off the main motor, however it's not bad either.

It seems that the tail motor has a much more difficult time coping with the torque generated by a sudden increase in head speed, in addition to the pitch increase at the same time when in normal flying mode.

If you have an SR, fly it in stunt mode and you'll see what I mean. The heli just generally handles better in every respect when in idle-up as well.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 03:48 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
I wanted to try using the tail rotor blade from the 200SRX, but the blade pitch is reversed. I may just try reversing the SR tail motor polarity to try it. Otherwise the SRX tail rotor will bolt right on.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:13 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
Very impressive! It's amazing what not crashing will do for you. I suspect your flying style has a lot to do with it. Most of the issues with the tail motor have been with beginners who mostly hover, which means the tail has to work the hardest. I'm sure you do very little hovering. But, I'm most surprised the batteries lasted that long.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:25 AM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Very impressive! It's amazing what not crashing will do for you. I suspect your flying style has a lot to do with it. Most of the issues with the tail motor have been with beginners who mostly hover, which means the tail has to work the hardest. I'm sure you do very little hovering. But, I'm most surprised the batteries lasted that long.
Thank you. I especially wanted you to see this. Most interestingly, the original SR battery performs nearly as well as new, after all of those charge cycles. I'm also still using my original Quark battery with over 700 flights on it, however that one has not held up as well, and I think it is because I've even using that Hirobo charger which allows no control over anything during the charge process.

With the SR battery, as with all of my packs, I've always been religious about running them down no lower than 3.80 volts per cell and keeping them at storage voltage right up until the point I want to charge and use them. I think it is very important to never store a Li-Po pack fully charged for any length of time. I also charge and balance the packs at low current, usually less than .75 amp. I've always had good luck with my packs by following this routine.

The SR still flies great, however the main rotor head has definitely more slop in it now so it will need to be taken apart soon. The main gear is somewhat worn as well but it seems fine for now. It's always been a fun little heli for messing around with. A 3D machine it is not, though.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:47 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
My Quark has more flights than I can count and the only thing I've replaced is the tail shaft, when they upgraded it. I have replaced a lot of blades, but they break if they hit a soft pillow (really!). I did try to replace the motor with something stronger, but had no luck finding something that would clear the frame.

I had the "early" version of the SR, the CP Pro; that tail motor did NOT last no matter how you flew it. The gyro wasn't very good, either. You always were more comfortable flying things that were harder to fly.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:06 PM
I've got a Heli hankering
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2014
348 Posts
Quote:
I wanted to try using the tail rotor blade from the 200SRX, but the blade pitch is reversed. I may just try reversing the SR tail motor polarity to try it. Otherwise the SRX tail rotor will bolt right on.
I have the belt on my SR, totally different heli!
Love it!
train06 is online now Find More Posts by train06
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:24 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by train06 View Post
I have the belt on my SR, totally different heli!
Love it!
We used to upgrade the CP Pro and various 300 size FP helis, with belt drive tail kits from GuruZ. But, cost of 250 and 450 clone kits was less than the GuruZ tail upgrades, which pretty well put them out of business.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2014
348 Posts
Quote:
We used to upgrade the CP Pro and various 300 size FP helis, with belt drive tail kits from GuruZ. But, cost of 250 and 450 clone kits was less than the GuruZ tail upgrades, which pretty well put them out of business.
Its the tinker factor that comes into play with me...it's an awful disease!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 02:54 PM
Joined Apr 2010
648 Posts
Oh man, the CP Pro... I never owned that one. That didn't look like a very easy one to fly either. To me, the CP Pro looked liked its design was drawn from Walkera designs of the same era. The Walkera 50E comes to mind here, among others.

I have a 50E though and it's a handful, but kind of fun. Extremely twitchy and unforgiving helicopter and I wouldn't be surprised if the CP Pro had these same flight characteristics.

I love my Quark, but I don't use it much anymore because of very limited parts availability. Mine is totally factory stock, but the tail rattles a lot now because of play in the tail rotor shaft. It's still a very refined helicopter to fly and I won't part with it.

Quote:
My Quark has more flights than I can count and the only thing I've replaced is the tail shaft, when they upgraded it. I have replaced a lot of blades, but they break if they hit a soft pillow (really!). I did try to replace the motor with something stronger, but had no luck finding something that would clear the frame.

I had the "early" version of the SR, the CP Pro; that tail motor did NOT last no matter how you flew it. The gyro wasn't very good, either. You always were more comfortable flying things that were harder to fly.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 04:21 PM
Joined Mar 2014
348 Posts
Quote:
Oh man, the CP Pro... I never owned that one. That didn't look like a very easy one to fly either. To me, the CP Pro looked liked its design was drawn from Walkera designs of the same era. The Walkera 50E comes to mind here, among others.

I have a 50E though and it's a handful, but kind of fun. Extremely twitchy and unforgiving helicopter and I wouldn't be surprised if the CP Pro had these same flight characteristics.

I love my Quark, but I don't use it much anymore because of very limited parts availability. Mine is totally factory stock, but the tail rattles a lot now because of play in the tail rotor shaft. It's still a very refined helicopter to fly and I won't part with it.
Since we are somewhat in the SR discussion here, what is involved with
The tail motor flip? Aside from the obvious of flipping the tail motor over?