HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2013, 07:24 PM
SF Valley RC Flyers
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
Killionaire is offline Find More Posts by Killionaire
Last edited by Killionaire; Sep 09, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:09 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
If you spent $2000 on a 60 size plane then something is very wrong somewhere.

Recommending Electric over Glow because of the reasons you gave is an Opinion and one could have the same opinion for Electric.

All the crap you need to do electric is comparable to the same you need for glow. Glow, Gas or Electric is a preference. It's my opinion that Glow is the Best overall but they all have pros and cons.
Dale 813 is online now Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Sep 08, 2013, 08:28 PM
SF Valley RC Flyers
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
Last edited by Killionaire; Sep 09, 2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 09:09 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
I'm not on your back but you indicated it would take $2,000 to get a fuel plane going. The OP said he was interested in Fuel.

If I went into the electric section talking trash about how better Fuel is, I would get ripped a new one. But I try not to do that

Also. Why does someone have to buy a Kit plane that takes a Zillion Hours to build ? ARF's come in Electric and Glow. From my experience, it's much cheaper and more plentiful to pick up a used glow trainer than a electric trainer.
Last edited by Dale 813; Sep 08, 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2013, 11:41 PM
SF Valley RC Flyers
Joined Feb 2010
284 Posts
I'm putting you on my ignore list.
Last edited by Killionaire; Sep 09, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 06:10 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killionaire View Post
You're just being an annoying jerk and going out of your way to misinterpret and attack everything I say.
I'm putting you on my ignore list.
Good for you. And the private message you sent me was turned into RCG. Grow up.
Last edited by Dale 813; Sep 09, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:28 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,018 Posts
Marco, I'm very happy for you to have found a new hobby for yourself. You've had some very good advice here and you started down the right path all by yourself by visiting your local club.

Do not be afraid to post any questions here. Read everything you can get your hands on. I started the hobby back in 1975 and was back out of it for about 15 years when life got in the way. No internet back then! Now I have learned so much on these fourms it is unbelivable.

Good luck and we hope to see more of you!

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:41 AM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
I bought my first one used yesterday. I have a newbie question also if I may.

Can someone help me please. I just purchased a used Hangar 9 Ultrastick 60. This is my first fuel plane. Been flying electrics only.
This plane came with an onboard Sullivan glow driver and 2 batteries. One is a 6V 2000mah nimh and the other is a 6.6V 1900 mah LIFE. The plane hasn't been started in over a year, so I expect these batteries are no good. I'd like to replace them with new ones, but I don't know what to get. I assume I should switch both to lipo. Do I get a lipo and a regulater for the receiver and servos and just a lipo for the Sullivan? What size lipo's? Can you buy them with servo type plug terminators? Thanks for your help.
Bryan
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:05 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,491 Posts
I responded to the same post on the other thread. You shouldn't need Lipos in there. Just go get yourself a LIFE 6.6V 1100 mah battery. I'm sure the two you have are fine and are still usable. But in my opinion. The previous owner was paranoid of not having enough battery power. And the two you have are overkill. 1100 mah LIFE would be my Maximum on a 60. I use a 600 mah on 40-60 size glow planes.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 03:20 PM
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
1,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
I responded to the same post on the other thread. You shouldn't need Lipos in there. Just go get yourself a LIFE 6.6V 1100 mah battery. I'm sure the two you have are fine and are still usable. But in my opinion. The previous owner was paranoid of not having enough battery power. And the two you have are overkill. 1100 mah LIFE would be my Maximum on a 60. I use a 600 mah on 40-60 size glow planes.
Sorry for the double post. I was doing this on my phone at my daughter's soccer game. Pasted in the wrong question.
I know nothing about the onboard glow And certainly did not buy the plane because it had it. I'm going to remove it and am actually on my way to the hobby shop right now to get an external glow igniter.
Hopefully I can try and start the engine when I get home.
This will be the first time I have ever started an engine, so I'm going to have to watch some YouTube videos on how to do it!
Thank you very much for your response...
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:09 PM
Additcted to high wings
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Oct 2011
183 Posts
I am going back to the origional topic for the origional poster. Sims are great and I feel like Realflight helped me progress along more quickly, but do not let that replace going to a club. I have a large and I do mean large field to fly in at home, but I still go to the club field. Every time I go there I learn something new. Those guys can save you a lot of money in mistakes that you might make on your own. Talk to them before you buy any kind of plane. You did a good job on the radio part, that will keep you going for a while. Used trainers are not a bad deal as long as someone that knows the stuff can help you shop.

Good luck. I fly nitro but I catch a lot of grief from my fellow club members for flying "slimers". Most people are going electric. I enjoy my nitro because I like the smell of the fuel and the sound they make. But they can be a certain amount of problems too. It's a decision you will have to make. Go to the field and enjoy yourself. I can't even put into words what it feels like to push that throttle forward and take off on your own and fly around. I still spend a lot of time flying my Alpha 60 trainer...... because it is FUN!!!! And that is why I fly, because its fun.
Midnite_rider is offline Find More Posts by Midnite_rider
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:53 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,018 Posts
In this area there ar a number of auctions every years of used RC equipment. You can find some good deals if you know what to look for. With that said see if you can tag along to one of the auctions in your area (assuming there are auctions) and have one of the guys help you pick out some equipment. Craig's list is another good spot to look. Again, another set of experienced eyes can be of some help.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:59 AM
I can fly!
Australia, TAS, East Launceston
Joined Aug 2010
84 Posts
Marco, welcome to the club, I like the smell and noise of nitro but electric can be a lot easier to start with if you don't have a club that can offer help.

Someone at your local club should have a buddy cable to set up with your DX6i so you can learn risk free (or low risk)

Did you know you can bind your DX6i to your 120SR? Makes it heaps easier to fly
dceng888 is offline Find More Posts by dceng888
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:46 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,533 Posts
Beaves I don't know if you should remove your onboard glow. I think it would be quite nice.
The thing you need to do is join athe AMA's introduction program where they give you 90 days free. Then join a club and find an instructor.
They may try an encourage you to get a trainer. I would try your stick on a buddy box with an instructor 1st. Good Luck
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50