HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:34 PM
Flying wild - Cph. Denmark
Denmark
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Discussion
Tarot T-2D Brushless Gimbal - FAQ

This thread is NOT for questions about the Tarot T-2D gimbal, that isn't covered in the FAQ. Those questions should be asked and answered in the MAIN THREAD.

This thread is for keeping various information about the Tarot T-2D gimbal. Including guides, how-to, faq and general info.

FAQ:

Q: How can I power my gimbal.
A: 3s is recommended, but 4s will also work. Use either a stand alone pack (600-900 mAh) or tap into your distribution board or main pack.

Q: What is the mAh usage of the gimbal in operation
A: It's about 100 mAh pr. 10 min +- 15%

Q: Can I power it on with no camera mounted.
A: You can, but it's not recommended. It won't level out, since it's too much out of balance.

Q: Should I balance it, with the GoPro installed.
A: It is fairly well balanced leaving the factory, but pay attention and make adjustments if needed. If you don't use any cables for the gopro3, then be sure to have the "counterweight balancing screw installed". Be careful screwing it all the way in, since it will screw into the back of your gopro3. If using the original vide-out/charging cable from Tarot, the screw must be removed. Adding and modifying the gimbal in anyway, so it can handle other camera's is not supported by Tarot and does require balancing.

Q: I have connected tilt control and it continues to move when I turn my knob on my TX. How do I get "positional control"
A: For positional control, you need to be on firmware 1.3 or above (currently 1.3 is the newest). In your software, select mode 2 (positional mode). Remember to write settings before you exit.

Q: Can I use the onboard 5v to charge/power the GoPro Camera.
A: You will fry the onboard Tarot controller if you do this over a longer period of time. Use 5v elsewhere. Either from your RX or a dedicated UBEC. The GoPro will draw approx. 1A in charging state.

Q: What is the latest firmware.
A: Latest firmware version is 1.5 (26th of March 2014). You can grab it right here - www.kingwjg.com/ZYX/GoproV1.5.rar

Q: How do I update the firmware.
A: You follow these instructions closely
Quote:
Main controller firmware upgrade:
1. Firstly, you should connect the USB programmer to main controller port and select the right COM port.
2. Click “Open Firmware”, choose the firmware file you want to upgrade (do not click” Open COM Port”).
3. Click “Start Upgrade” and then, power on the gimbal.
4. When the progressbar finished, firmware upgrades successfully.
5. After firmware upgrades finished, you can open COM port to connect gimbal to configuration program. The new main controller firmware version can be seen in the window.

Motor driver firmware upgrade:
1. Firstly, you should connect USB programmer to motor driver port, and click ‘motor configuration’ to enter into the interface of motor configuration. Select right COM port.
2. Click “Open Firmware”, chooses the firmware file you want to upgrade (do not click” Open COM Port”).
3. Click “Start Upgrade”, and then, power on the gimbal.
4. When the progress bar finished, firmware upgrades successfully.
5. After firmware upgrade finished, you can open COM port to connect gimbal to configuration program. The new motor driver firmware version can be seen in the window.
Q: The Gimbal software doesn't remember my settings, even if I remember to "write" them to the flash/configuration.
A: If you change numeric values, you have to hit ENTER, after you put in the number.

Q: I have changed some settings, but now I want to revert to the defaults, what are they?
Quote:
Roll Setting

Total Gain: 100
Velocity Gain: 150
Integral Gain: 70
Accelerate Gain: 120
Angle Limit: Max: 44 Min: -44
Motor reverse: Yes
RC Sensitivity: 50
Initial Roll Angle: 0

Tilt Setting

Total Gain: 95
Velocity Gain: 80
Integral Gain: 70
Accelerate Gain: 80
Angle Limit: Max: 90 Min: -134
Motor reverse: Yes
RC Sensitivity: 50
Initial Roll Angle: 0

Values for the motors are:

Roll Motor: 14-60
Tilt Motor: 14-35

The controller defaults can also be found in the file gopro.bgsc and the motor defaults in gopro.bmc in the config directory and can be loading in to the configuration software and written to the appropriate controller.
Q. How do I wire it for Tilt and Roll control.

Clever people make a special cable for this, so everything is tidy.

Wiring example would be: I want to change mode and to control tilt. Then you need to wire the C and the T. One(1) channel for each. Be sure to adjust subtrim for "mode switching" if needed. Use the gimbal software to see if it switches through the two modes, when you flip your 2 way switch.

Q: My tilt is weird. It keeps on going down or up, until I center my knob/lever.
A: This is because it's operating in "Stick Rate mode". You have to select "Positional...." in the gimbal control software (note: this was added with the 1.3 version).

Guides:

To wire your Tarot gimbal to the Naza controller, take a look at this image, courtesy of eirlink and his blog

USB driver for Windows 7 (courtesy of ariZedA):

Can be downloaded here - http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41
Once installed the package, unplug USB, plug in again. Once drivers have auto installed after this, check device manager under COM ports to see what COM port the prolific USB-serial adapter was assigned - this is your Tarot T2D, and the COM port you select in the software.

Windows 8 Driver (courtesy of ariZedA)

You have to install an old version of the drivers using installer v1.5.0 available here
After this, unplug and plug the Tarot USB in and Windows 8 assigns the Tarot Controller a COM port # which you can see in Device manager > Ports (COM & LPT) section. Then you select this COM port # in the XYZ Tarot software.

How to download files from Gopro Hero3 over wi-fi network (courtesy of laufer):

Before you begin make sure you have the wi-fi configured. If not, it will have a distinct gopro name and password is "goprohero".
GoPro3 custom wi-fi name and password can only be configured during the software upgrading right here

Quote:
1. Turn on the GoPro, then hold in the wi-fi button and start up the wireless.
2. On your PC click on your wireless network settings and connect to the GoPro3 wi-fi network. (note, you will now be disconnected from the internet). You'll also need your password for the goprohero network so have that handy.
3. Open your browser. point it to http://10.5.5.9:8080
4. If all goes well it will open to the Cherokee web server screen with the folders on your SD card displayed.
5. Left click the videos folder, then DCIM, then100GOPRO. You should see a list of your files.
6. Right click the file you want to transfer, then choose "Save link as..."

More to come and if you have things, you want in this first post, please submit it below
WhiteDog is offline Find More Posts by WhiteDog
Last edited by WhiteDog; Apr 05, 2014 at 01:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2013, 04:14 AM
Joined Jul 2013
541 Posts
Most useful info already, thanks look forward to contributing to this thread as i come across findings
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Sep 02, 2013, 01:22 AM
Joined Jul 2013
541 Posts
Tarot T-2D Brushless Gimbal - FAQ

You won't believe how much this info has helped me already thanks!

P.S. here are the prolific drivers I needed to get the USB to work on the T2D - http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41

Not Windows 8 compatible, so had to use Windows 7 =

Once installed the package, unplug USB, plug in again. Once drivers have auto installed after this, check device manager under COM ports to see what COM port the prolific USB-serial adapter was assigned - this is your Tarot T2D, and the COM port you select in the software.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:15 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog View Post
Q: Should I balance it, with the GoPro installed.
A: For a perfect filming experience you should. It's not perfect factory balanced.
What does this mean? Of course it is factory balanced, there are no physical adjustments you can make anywhere, other than using the balance bolt in the back if you do not intend to use the AV out cable.

Do you mean people should adjust settings in the software? If so, some suggestions on how and why might be useful.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:22 AM
Joined Jul 2013
541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
What does this mean? Of course it is factory balanced, there are no physical adjustments you can make anywhere, other than using the balance bolt in the back if you do not intend to use the AV out cable.

Do you mean people should adjust settings in the software? If so, some suggestions on how and why might be useful.
I'm guessing it means using lead tape or any other form of weight stuck to the gimbal to create a perfectly balanced gimbal. I hooked mine up to the software and the gyro sensors were showing 0 values (balanced) so appears to be balaned fine to me if i'm understanding it correctly. Nonetheless, footage appears fine.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZedA View Post
I'm guessing it means using lead tape or any other form of weight stuck to the gimbal to create a perfectly balanced gimbal. I hooked mine up to the software and the gyro sensors were showing 0 values (balanced) so appears to be balaned fine to me if i'm understanding it correctly. Nonetheless, footage appears fine.
If it's not perfectly balanced out of the box, then send it back. Or you haven't pushed the camera into the back plate far enough. Slide it up as close to the side motor as you can and the long bolts going through from the front to the blue front piece should be straight, not at an angle. Tarot thought about it enough to supply a tiny bolt when not using the very light cable. This isn't an amateur gimbal held on with a bit of velcro and a piece of plastic with a hole in the front.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:42 AM
Joined Jul 2013
541 Posts
Quote:
If it's not perfectly balanced out of the box, then send it back. Or you haven't pushed the camera into the back plate far enough. Slide it up as close to the side motor as you can and the long bolts going through from the front to the blue front piece should be straight, not at an angle. Tarot thought about it enough to supply a tiny bolt when not using the very light cable. This isn't an amateur gimbal held on with a bit of velcro and a piece of plastic with a hole in the front.
Haha. I thought as much. I haven't balanced mine as I didn't see any need to, but have heard/seen some people do it for whatever reason. Maybe they have filters or whatever on.

With regards to the tiny bolt you are referring to. Which one exactly is that? And which cable are you referring to? I ordered the video out cable just in case I needed it (it was cheap) but I am not using it. Thanks
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:50 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZedA View Post
Haha. I thought as much. I haven't balanced mine as I didn't see any need to, but have heard/seen some people do it for whatever reason. Maybe they have filters or whatever on.

With regards to the tiny bolt you are referring to. Which one exactly is that?
And which cable are you referring to? I ordered the video out cable just in case I needed it (it was cheap) but I am not using it. Thanks
It's the small bolt in the back of the camera mounting plate that everyone goes "What's this for?" There is an entry in a list of parts somewhere - that I can't locate now - that identifies it as a 'Counter Balance Bolt', or similar. Use it if no AV cable (yes, the one for GoPro you ordered) remove it if using the AV cable.

Yes, filters would imbalance it and require counterbalance weights to correct the CoG, but that's not 'out of the box'.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 05:52 AM
Joined Jul 2013
541 Posts
Quote:
It's the small bolt in the back of the plate that everyone goes "What's this for?" There is an entry in a list of parts somewhere - that I can't locate now - that identifies it as a 'Counter Balance Bolt', or similar. Use it if no AV cable (yes, the one for GoPro you ordered) remove it if using the AV cable.
Ahhh I understand what you mean now. Thank you

Hope the OP adds it to the FAQ
Old Sep 02, 2013, 09:12 AM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
I would be happy to point of the screw thing, which is spot on. But you could end up balancing it either way and for various reasons like: 1. It could be slightly off, factory wise. 2. you use a non standard cable for FPV and/or charging. 3. you use a batterpack on your gopro or even a gopro 2. Point 3 is obvious going to out balance it, by a large factor. But my point is also, to make people aware, that this product "might" need balancing.
Old Sep 02, 2013, 03:23 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Mar 2013
220 Posts
Big thumbs up to WhiteDog for posting this FAQ. This is the sort of info that Tarrot should be providing to its users. Obviously they aren't providing good support to their customers.

Regarding operating on 3S or 4S. How do you know 4S will be ok? It is outside the specs. in the manual, but I'd love to just plug into my flight pack and avoid a 3rd battery to worry about. I'm wondering if this info comes from experience or if there is another logic? 4S=16.8V at start and the manual for Tarrot says "Operating supply: DC 7.4V~14.8V " Thanks for offering us this thread!
Waterman123 is offline Find More Posts by Waterman123
Old Sep 02, 2013, 04:05 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Since it's been tested over a longer period on 4s and working just fine, I have concluded that the manufacturer is using the nominated battery voltage for the requirements. There's simply no other way of explaining this. It doesn't even get hotter using 4s over 3s, so for my point of view, it's pretty safe.

However, it's your gimbal, your risk and your money, so what you end up doing it entirely up to you

You obviously know this, but anyway:

2s = 7,4v (nominated)
4s = 14,8v (nominated).

Requirements = 7,4 > 14,8v

Hope this answers your question and thanks for the kind words
Old Sep 02, 2013, 07:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Sep 2012
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog View Post
Since it's been tested over a longer period on 4s and working just fine, I have concluded that the manufacturer is using the nominated battery voltage for the requirements. There's simply no other way of explaining this. It doesn't even get hotter using 4s over 3s, so for my point of view, it's pretty safe.

However, it's your gimbal, your risk and your money, so what you end up doing it entirely up to you

You obviously know this, but anyway:

2s = 7,4v (nominated)
4s = 14,8v (nominated).

Requirements = 7,4 > 14,8v

Hope this answers your question and thanks for the kind words
Does anyone know what the troubleshooting procedure for the tarot gimbal is? i.e. how to remove the solid green light which is from overcurrent, even though you are still using 3S lipo?
stealthdragonb is offline Find More Posts by stealthdragonb
Old Sep 02, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
it's firmly recommened to use 12V for the gimbal.
Huluhulu is offline Find More Posts by Huluhulu
Old Sep 02, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
38 Posts
tarot wiring

I only connect 2 wires as attached picture.
and it's important to keep the gimal very firmly not any move. it will initialize OK.
Huluhulu is offline Find More Posts by Huluhulu