HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2004, 05:39 PM
Melbourne
Joined Nov 2003
365 Posts
Motor Life - Flight Time

Hi everyone,

I have been flying my Aerohawk with stock motor for a little while - probably about 300 mins flight time on the stock motor. The first time I used a 2s lipoly etech 1200mah pack I got a 17min flight!

Then after recharging the pack, all my subsequent flights have been about 8mins. I flew the heli a fair bit on the stock battery between the first lipoly flight and the subsequent lipoly flight, which I think may have accounted for alot of engine wear.

I also now only get about 5mins flight on the stock battery, which used to give me 8-10 min flights. Are these drastically reduced flight times a result of motor wear? The heli can still fly as high as i want it to in the first few minutes, but pretty quickly starts requiring very high throttle to keep it at eye level.

After about 2 mins of flight i have to give it 80-85% throttle to keep it at eye level. I think it's motor wear because I really haven't used the batteries that much, and have never overcharged either of them.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Cheers,
Rob.
ihug007 is offline Find More Posts by ihug007
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2004, 05:48 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I'm starting to notice the same thing with my aerohawk. Te first thing I noticed it on was that I had to trim the tail motor more to the left... in other words, I had to reduce the amount that the tail rotor compensates for main rotor torque, because the main rotor torque is lower than expected. I also feel I have to use a higher throttle setting to fly out of ground effect after a few minutes than I did earlier. I have flown maybe thirty 8-10 minute flights.

Today I also got radio glitches twice. The first time I lost complete control of the helicopter and had to set it down hard. The second time I hit the ground with the tail rotor. I wonder if perhaps it's because the main rotor brushes are starting to become worn out...?

I have an extra main motor here so I might try to replace it soon.
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Feb 08, 2004, 06:08 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,024 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happened with my HB. Flight times dropped to about 1 minute and it was difficult to control. I had about 20 flights in. I put in a fresh motor and I was back in business!
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird