HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
277 Posts
Question
Bondo WTC end caps?

I'm o.k. with the process of molding them, but, other that putting them in my little lathe and machining the o-ring grooves, is there an easier option??

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!!
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
436 Posts
Gary,
I look forward to what you come up with. I do not know about easier (other than buy a pair premade) and concerned for how bondo end caps will last, but it is your build and your equipment. You crazy man...... :-)
Peace,
Tom
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:43 PM
crazygary
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Aug 2011
277 Posts
Well, in a "beer-induced-revelation", I discovered that I have some clear, round acrylic in my feeble posession, so....May just as well machine 'em from that, and since they're gonna be on my lathe anyhowsway, ah kin jus' cut the o-ring grooves, too!!

Dee-dee-dee!!!! ( With all due respect to Carlos Mencia!!)

But, have read posts from various modelers who have had pretty good success with bondo end caps! Being that it's, basically, just a polyester based " goopy" product, should be pretty waterproof right outta the blocks!! Actually machines pretty well too, as long as ya ain't tryin' ta "hog" it!! Hah!!

Yep!! I'm thinkin' I'll be goin' the acrylic route!!
Crazy is as crazy does!!!! YEAH, baby!!
crazygary is offline Find More Posts by crazygary
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
Man from Atlantis
London
Joined Nov 2003
905 Posts
You shouldn't use bondo, or any other brand of polyester filler for making endcaps. The reason is that this material is porous and absorbs moisture like a sponge. Eventually your caps will swell and crack. It also has very little tensile strength.

All it is suitable for is filling small imperfections in hulls, where it will be painted over which seals it from moisture.

If you want to cast endcaps, rather than make them from sheet material, then use polyurethane resin. It's much stronger and has much lower shrinkage.

Machining caps from acrylic is fine. Other suitable materials are PVC, polycarbonate, ABS and polystyrene.
Sub culture is offline Find More Posts by Sub culture