SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Nov 2011
236 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum NIMH battery upgrade voltage difference

Installed 4 Eneloops yesterday and charged them to 5.8v. Verified with screamer and Fluke meter but DX7S info screen shows 5.5. Anybody know why the difference? Thanks
bimmerland is online now Find More Posts by bimmerland
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerland View Post
Installed 4 Eneloops yesterday and charged them to 5.8v. Verified with screamer and Fluke meter but DX7S info screen shows 5.5. Anybody know why the difference? Thanks
Just the "normal" offset error in voltage readings on the Spektrum radios.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,480 Posts
Quote:
Because there is a factory acceptance tolerance of +/-0.3V. Yours meets that tolerance. Some radios are dead-on.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Did the meters have a similar load (200-300mahish) on the batteries as the DX7S ? I doubt they would hold peak voltage 1.45v a battery while powering anything, heck they wont even be at 1.45v/batt after a few days.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Because there is a factory acceptance tolerance of +/-0.3V. Yours meets that tolerance. Some radios are dead-on.
I can vouch for that, the one I have here is spot on.

I still find 0.3V a surprisingly large acceptable variation, but I certainly can't complain about mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Did the meters have a similar load (200-300mahish) on the batteries as the DX7S ? .
Probably not, but if a 200mAh load drops your voltage by that much then you have bigger problems.

I'm sure Andy has the right answer, it is just the allowed tolerance.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:15 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
Probably not, but if a 200mAh load drops your voltage by that much then you have bigger problems.
A drop from 1.45 a cell to 1.375 a cell under a normal load is perfectly fine. They are called 1.2volt batteries for a reason.

The best way to be sure is to check the packs voltage with a multimeter while the radio is on.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Last edited by pach; Apr 28, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:26 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
A drop from 1.45 a cell to 1.375 a cell under a normal load is perfectly fine. They are clled 1.2volt batteries for a reason.

The best way to be sure is to check the packs voltage with a multimeter while the radio is on.
Obviously they will drop over time, but I wouldn't expect to see that much drop immediately on a freshly charged pack with such a light load.

Personally I wouldn't encourage people to try and check the pack voltage while the radio is on unless they have a pack with an alternate point to take readings from.

Either way, it is academic as we already have the right answer, the radio is not designed to provide accuracy beyond 0.3V so a different reading is generally going to be expected.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Nov 2011
236 Posts
I just thought that if mine is off by .3 then when my alarm goes off I still have spare capacity. Kinda a good thing.
bimmerland is online now Find More Posts by bimmerland
Old Apr 28, 2012, 04:50 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
I just thought that if mine is off by .3 then when my alarm goes off I still have spare capacity. Kinda a good thing.
You can adjust the cut-off voltage as well so many feel it would be better to have an accurate voltage reading then decide how conservative you want to be on the cut-off.

Not exactly the end of the world though.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Keep in mind that Eneloops will eventually settle to around 1.3+ volts per cell when fully charged, but fresh off the charger they should be 1.4+ volts per cell.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend