SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
peterlngh,
it's always the same dilemma - you don't want to spend a lot before finding out if you are truly commited, but at the same time you want to get something that may go somewhat past the initial stages so you don't have to buy another one too soon. Happened to me before on some other activitir«es. Unless one is free to spend, one always ends up with a not fully satisfactory solution...

ArneHu,
Ah, yes, as long as the plane lasts until then...

My main problem now is finding a good flying - and landing... - site (living in a biggish town in a very densely populated/cultivated area for tens of kilometers around does not ease things). So far, of the two places I found out the one closest to home is too windy, the other one (60km away...) is too rocky and "thistly". So far, I don't want to fly too close to people or roads.
But I guess it is just a matter of looking around...
GLFaria is offline Find More Posts by GLFaria
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:11 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
I did some slope soaring along the cliffs of sandy beach in Cape Cod, MA.

We are camping about 2.3 mi from the White Crest beach, packed my 780mm Skysurfer on the back of the mtn bike (2m ASW-28 would not fit) and had a great ride with the family to the beach. The wind was NE E at about 6 mph. These cliffs are high! Totally reminded me of where I'm used too in SoCal, different for New England.

Ok the winds weren't perfect but good enough for this ultra light 780mm sailplane. I checked everything and launched from the beach next to the base of the cliff at around 11:30. Had a perfect flight for about 5 min, got some good lift up higher over the top of the cliff, then the spinner and folding propeller flew off somewhere and I never saw it fall... Ruhro. Wondered why the surfer was flying so well and got so much lift when turning up wind! The other thing that happened was one of the wing servo wires pulled out of the little white connector. I pushed it back in and was fine, but that explains why this didn't work sometimes before. After some extensive beach combing for a $3.00 part I found the prop and spinner!

I had the wife film with my iPhone video, should edit it and upload with some photos soon, stay tuned.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:34 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Quote:
ArneHu,
Ah, yes, as long as the plane lasts until then...
You are right. I don't think it's is build to last. This is my second, and it's repaired and glued. and changed servos. But fun, as long as it last.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Last edited by ArneHu; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:46 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
I meant to mention that do not use black gooey windscreen bitumen (bad choice) to fix the propeller to the shaft. As soon as the motor heats up so does the black gooey stuff and zing - off the prop goes! Now I've got sand and black stuff to clean up all over
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:43 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Here are some photos from my quick slope soaring reconnaissance mission at White Crest Beach, Wellfleet, MA with the Skysurfer 780mm.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Skysurfer 780mm sailplane White Crest Beach Cape Cod (2 min 35 sec)

Not the best filming, all I had with me on my mtn bike was my iPhone 4, handed the photography duties over to my wife while I was searching for lift. It is such a small sailplane and gets lost in the video. If you look closely on 720 HD it's up there!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Batteries and chargers

Hi there.
I just got hooked up with the Sky Surfer.It is a great airplane and a lot of fun.
Being a beginner I was wondering if it is possible to get some figures from you all.The 250 mah batt that comes with the plane is good and works well but I would like to improve the endurance changing the batt for another one with more juice.
So I was browsing around and found several candidates to replace the batt.I read that CG could be an issue,as well as weight and measures.
What it is the weight of the standard batt?
Is it possible to upgrade to an 500mah?
Also I checked the charger that comes with the kit and found out that max charging batt is 600 mah.Does that mean that if I buy a 350 mah or even a 500 mah the original charger will be able to handle it?
What charger do you all use?

Thanks for your educative posts and your help.
Cheers.
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Last edited by supermoth; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: mistake
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2012
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMXDVGa4fTs

Not the best filming, all I had with me on my mtn bike was my iPhone 4, handed the photography duties over to my wife while I was searching for lift. It is such a small sailplane and gets lost in the video. If you look closely on 720 HD it's up there!
Great video.I also fly at the beach looking for thermals.I really like your painting skills I feel jealous .
supermoth is offline Find More Posts by supermoth
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:09 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermoth View Post
Hi there.
I just got hooked up with the Sky Surfer.It is a great airplane and a lot of fun.
Being a beginner I was wondering if it is possible to get some figures from you all.The 250 mah batt that comes with the plane is good and works well but I would like to improve the endurance changing the batt for another one with more juice.
So I was browsing around and found several candidates to replace the batt.I read that CG could be an issue,as well as weight and measures.
What it is the weight of the standard batt?
Is it possible to upgrade to an 500mah?
Also I checked the charger that comes with the kit and found out that max charging batt is 600 mah.Does that mean that if I buy a 350 mah or even a 500 mah the original charger will be able to handle it?
What charger do you all use?

Thanks for your educative posts and your help.
Cheers.
You can fly thIs with up to a 350mAh Zippy brand from HK as mentioned in the thread, any more weight and it will be to much with the brushed motor original setup. Honestly, when I was slope soaring without the prop and spinner it was noticeably lighter and flew better.

The original charger will work. You can buy a digital charger like the Turnigy Max80 frorn HK.

Thanks for the kudos,yes great little plane that doesn't like too much wind.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,091 Posts
Another cable loose. This time on the main brick. It's not easy to solder the thin cables to the brick. I am a bit tired of the electronics on the Sky Surfer.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but seeing that I am asking specifically about the the Sky Surfer...

I need a new motor for my plane. After a certain amount of lively, rocky crashes, the original one does no longer run fast enough to propel the plane.
I don't know how much amps it is drawing, but never mind, it runs slow, even with a fully charged pack, and makes rather a lot of noise and vibrates perceptibly as soon as you go from "very, very slow" to "rather slow" - this is at about half-throttle. I suppose the problem originates on some sort of bearing, as the shaft doesn't seem to be bent and there is no perceptible vibration of the propeller when running.

The original is a (brushed, I guess...) N60 type motor - or so it reads on the box - 1.5mm diameter shaft

Any idea if the motor can be disassembled from the plane without cutting the foam? (was going to do it, but thought I would better ask before commiting myself...). There are those small screws at the front end, but I have no clue as to what is their purpose.

Also, any suggestions about a good, reliable source for a replacement motor? I am not ready to move to brushless, partly as I would rather not touch the electronics (unless I have to), but mainly as I am sure it will go on to many happy crashes, so better keep the thing inexpensive.

Also, any comments are welcome if for any reason you feel the problem may not originate on the motor itself.

BTW, this airframe is tough as nails...

Thanks for any help

G.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:12 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArneHu View Post
Another cable loose. This time on the main brick. It's not easy to solder the thin cables to the brick. I am a bit tired of the electronics on the Sky Surfer.
Arne you must be flying too fast
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLFaria View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but seeing that I am asking specifically about the the Sky Surfer...

I need a new motor for my plane. After a certain amount of lively, rocky crashes, the original one does no longer run fast enough to propel the plane.
I don't know how much amps it is drawing, but never mind, it runs slow, even with a fully charged pack, and makes rather a lot of noise and vibrates perceptibly as soon as you go from "very, very slow" to "rather slow" - this is at about half-throttle. I suppose the problem originates on some sort of bearing, as the shaft doesn't seem to be bent and there is no perceptible vibration of the propeller when running.

The original is a (brushed, I guess...) N60 type motor - or so it reads on the box - 1.5mm diameter shaft

Any idea if the motor can be disassembled from the plane without cutting the foam? (was going to do it, but thought I would better ask before commiting myself...). There are those small screws at the front end, but I have no clue as to what is their purpose.

Also, any suggestions about a good, reliable source for a replacement motor? I am not ready to move to brushless, partly as I would rather not touch the electronics (unless I have to), but mainly as I am sure it will go on to many happy crashes, so better keep the thing inexpensive.

Also, any comments are welcome if for any reason you feel the problem may not originate on the motor itself.

BTW, this airframe is tough as nails...

Thanks for any help

G.
N60 motor is available through Towerhobbies, horizon hobby and other sources. Best to slice open the factory seam in reverse to access motor, that way you can re-assemble as designed, take your time.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...2-bsr-EFLH1322
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
131 Posts
[QUOTE=studioRS;22696364]N60 motor is available through Towerhobbies, horizon hobby and other sources. Best to slice open the factory seam in reverse ...

Thanks. Meaning?... back to front?

G.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:47 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,364 Posts
Towerhobbies N60, more expensive though.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVZZ5&P=ML