SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:33 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,384 Posts
Flight Report

I (finally) took it out to the field and put a few flights on her. Take offs were fast and it gets right up in a hurry. This power system makes the plane go straight up forever and fly straight and level very fast.

It excels at tumbles (of course) and will knife edge with some inputs to x -out the expected coupling. It will hover, but that's just wrong!

You can stall it right at touchdown like a real plane or grease it in but don't try to fly this plane like a foamy! This is a Super Stearman not a PT-17.

In all a good kit, fast build, and a nice honest flyer.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
New build in progress

Looks like I'll be joining the Super Stearman club shortly. Hopefully by this weekend. Build coming along nicely using standard parts as suggested by GP. Looking to finish tonight / tomorrow for Friday evening / Saturday morning maiden flight. Really looking forward to adding additional bi-plane to my fleet.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:29 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
I hope you all with the recommended power system (RimFire) that delivers 1250Kv keep that throttle in check as not to melt the ESC nor Batteries.

Gerry (simano) did good with his by installing a lower Kv motor and is able to swing a larger propeller and batteries come out Cold.

Best of luck on the maidens.
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Sounds like your suggesting either reduce the motor, increase the ESC or change propeller or combination of either I assumed? I have an e-flite 480 spare and can use it if needed I guess. Last weekend I used a similar setup on Electrifly Cosmic Wind (Rimfire .10 and 35A ESC) on light/moderate flights and it was OK with an 8x8E propeller. I have not run cosmic wind hard (3/4 - full throttle for long periods of time). I'll keep an eye out for this now that you had mentioned it again. thx
Old Oct 22, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Finished...Ready for maiden voyage tomorrow morning

I finally finished earlier this evening. Last setup (throws and CG checked) is good. Here's a top view of the two planes I so looking forward to maiden tomorrow morning. Nothing special...everything stock except for wheel covers just in case tomorrow I have to land on gravel and didn't want mess up the paint or get dents so early .

2200mAh battery seems to balance CG at way forward as other had mentioned earlier as I recalled. I did noticed had to cut down some of the throws to match the dual rates in the manual since they were higher on default.

Will keep posted as to tomorrow. I plan to bring a few bi-planes out tomorrow for flying to compare Super Steerman to others I already have. Fun...fun...fun.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:01 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Maiden Flight - Checked

Maidenflight yesterday in windy condition (12+ mph). Had 3 flights total. Everything seemed trimmed but I honestly couldn't tell since wind was tossing her around a little too much. I hardly touched the trim. Could definitely tell she has powerful motor and she cuts through wind a lot better than the PZ SE 5a I flew eariler. i can also tell she is more aerobatic than my other larger bi-planes except for the umx "the beast".

Landing wasn't perfect due to strong head winds but did the job. Looking to this morning when I can really get a good feel for her flying characteristics.
Last edited by Reef_rc; Oct 23, 2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
I hope you all with the recommended power system (RimFire) that delivers 1250Kv keep that throttle in check as not to melt the ESC nor Batteries.

Gerry (simano) did good with his by installing a lower Kv motor and is able to swing a larger propeller and batteries come out Cold.

Best of luck on the maidens.
Carlos
Hey Carlos - I read some of the posts here and wanted to confirm what you had mentioned earlier based on my experience this past weekend but it didn't really sink in for me regarding GP motor and ESC combination until I experienced it myself.

Summary:
Motor (RimFire .10) and ES (ElectriFly Silver Series SS-35) is likely the cause of 3 motor shutdowns I experienced this past weekend. Not 1..but 3 times I was flying (lite/mild flying) and all of a sudden the motor would quiet responding but all servos work.
  • First time I landed in the field with no damage and thought it was maybe my the battery was low since I the one I had used was already sitting in my box from past weekend and I didn't get an accurate reading before heading out.
  • Second time was also in the field but this time the landing gear was damaged (pulled off along with some wood). Luckily it was a relatively clean break with wood and landing gear and I was able to glue it back. This time I thought it was maybe my receiver and was doubting myself. I had all servos control except motor. Since this plane is relatively heavy for it size, with no power seems to be handful to try and land gracefully.
  • Third time - yesterday. Same thing. Slow flying and mild acrobatic moves and mid way through the motor stop. Again I had all servo controls except motor. Damage - fixed landing gear from last time came back off with 1 more wood piece that's fixable. Again glad that is was a clean break. I checked the ESC temperature this time and I was really hot even though it was on its first battery and was only 6-7 minutes into its flight.

Needless to say I am not a happy pilot. Really disappointed the recommendation by GP doesn't seem to working here as in all their other GP planes I have in my fleet. Luckily for me it was only the landing gear that bear the brunt of my persistent attempts. I am no expert but this all points to an ESC not meant for the motor/battery/propeller/servos combinations GP recommended for mild flying much less acrobatic or sport flying without taking a big risk.

I am going to first use the E-Flite 40-Amp Pro ESC I have on hand and see how she does with this. Should be adequate. If this works over a period of half dozen flights, I will have to get another ESC 40A or greater my Cosmic Wind since it too also use this combination as recommended by GP. Concerns me that the Cosmic wind may also encounter this issue.

If this proves true...I am could be stuck with two ESCs sitting around instead of being used. Wonder if GP customer service would upgrade the ESC to the correct amp if I called and informed them of this?

Will keep you updated.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:08 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,725 Posts
Reef,

When that happens, normally you should be able to cycle the throttle to off and back to regain motor power. As an aside, I would check the motor temp as well.

Do you have a watt meter?
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Reef_rc,

So sorry to learn of your issues and crashes.

I am done warning anyone else about this Freaking Sorry for Nothing Great Pains Power System recommendations.

The motor has just too high of a Kv and it will just turn most of your electrical energy into heat and not the mechanical energy at the propeller where you need it.

My buddy and I have tried to post sufficient warnings but, it did not help any as now you have a busted up shiny new model.

Oh well....
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 24, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Reef,

When that happens, normally you should be able to cycle the throttle to off and back to regain motor power. As an aside, I would check the motor temp as well.

Do you have a watt meter?
cycle throttle - I tried that on several occasions I believe but just gave up and was more focused on trying to land the plane safely.

watt meter - not yet. Looks like this will be my first where I may have to get one to confirm but I believe Carlos already confirmed it in a prior post. I may get one and test it out myself just out of curiosity.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:10 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Reef_rc,

So sorry to learn of your issues and crashes.

I am done warning anyone else about this Freaking Sorry for Nothing Great Pains Power System recommendations.

The motor has just too high of a Kv and it will just turn most of your electrical energy into heat and not the mechanical energy at the propeller where you need it.

My buddy and I have tried to post sufficient warnings but, it did not help any as now you have a busted up shiny new model.

Oh well....
Don't give up man! Glad you responded to my post earlier otherwise and it may not have been on my watch list to keep an eye out for.

Luckily mine is still shinny except for the landing gear and landing gear brace. I am just glad that was it and nothing like a broken fuselage or wings. I do have an e-flite 480 motor which I may try to stick on once I can confirm the new ESC works better. I have another plane on the same configure so I need to fine a reasonable price solution before taking cosmic wind back up in the air as I like the motor on her.

Damn....just reminded me I should have taken pics before i started gluing the landing gear back. I'll try to take some later this evening on the one remaining piece to glue.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,384 Posts
Reef,
Definitely check your wattmeter and report if possible. I'm curious as my (same exact) power system gives me no problems and I fly at full throttle quite a bit!

I honestly think GP has the knowledge and is in the business of recommending and selling planes and power systems for a reason.... and NO they aren't my favorite! There may be an issue, so I would contact them after you find out what is causing your shutdowns. They will likely take care of you.

As stated, I have a WOT on the ground reading of 31 amps in with a 3s pack. The 35 amp esc supports that draw (and in the air it is getting airflow). This little plane can really turn and burn!

Have fun!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Will keep you posted. Will have the watt meter this coming weekend. I agree - all recommends I've used from GP has been great. This one is rather an odd ball.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:30 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Will keep you posted. Will have the watt meter this coming weekend. I agree - all recommends I've used from GP has been great. This one is rather an odd ball.
Reef_rc,

I did not see where you posted what type of Battery you were using.

What brand, capacity and most importantly Discharge rating?

Recall that I measured my buddy's Gerry (simano) the initial Tiger .10 motor which has identical 1250Kv. The AMP draw was close to 31-AMPs at wide open throttle.

I suspect that something to do with the ESC programming is to blame as the timing advance is not matching the motor. I do not believe Silver Series 35-AMP has automatic detection input impedance of the motor to allow for optimal Timing Advance of the RIMFIRE outrunner once you connect your Battery pack to the ESC. If this is the case then, your motor / esc and perhaps your battery are getting pretty hot because the operational setup on the ESC, especially at low throttle. A few years ago Castle Creations had an issue with the PHX-25 due to this problem and now all of their ESC's are Auto Detect for Motor input impedance and thereby, optimal timing advance.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm1...anual-v1_2.pdf

Call Mike at Hobby Services (217) 398-0007 Selection #5.

I have already briefed Mike and he saw this thread!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 24, 2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Gpmg4595

Quote:
Reef_rc,

I did not see where you posted what type of Battery you were using.

What brand, capacity and most importantly Discharge rating?

Recall that I measured my buddy's Gerry (simano) the initial Tiger .10 motor which has identical 1250Kv. The AMP draw was close to 31-AMPs at wide open throttle.

I suspect that something to do with the ESC programming is to blame as the timing advance is not matching the motor. I do not believe Silver Series 35-AMP has automatic detection input impedance of the motor to allow for optimal Timing Advance of the RIMFIRE outrunner once you connect your Battery pack to the ESC. If this is the case then, your motor / esc and perhaps your battery are getting pretty hot because the operational setup on the ESC, especially at low throttle. A few years ago Castle Creations had an issue with the PHX-25 due to this problem and now all of their ESC's are Auto Detect for Motor input impedance and thereby, optimal timing advance.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm1...anual-v1_2.pdf

Call Mike at Hobby Services (217) 398-0007 Selection #5.

I have already briefed Mike and he saw this thread!
I am using:
  • Rimfire .10 (GPMG4595)
  • Great Planes Silver Series 35A Brushless ESC 5V/2A BEC - GPMM1830
  • 4 Servos - S3114
  • Receiver - Spektrum AR6210

I have the same setup on the GP Cosmic Wind.

Nice...I was just looking at the manual earlier this morning when I posted this. I had thought it might have been something I missed in the ESC setup (typically I just plug the darn thing in and go). I will try to call sometime this week as time permit (likely Friday). I didn't get any time today to do any research or testing the motor/esc.