SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:44 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
I flew mine yesterday with my new Miniaviation 300mAh mCPX batts... plenty of power, had the impression that it is still a bit tailheavy though.

That said, it approximately balances at the 38mm that the manual states... so where do you "balanced" guys set your CG?

Cheers,
Bernhard
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:09 AM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Why not just try it without contra rotating props?
The combined torque would make the plane fly terribly....The plane would roll easily in one direction and very slow in the other...When turning yaw could cause the plane to tuck and roll into a violent spin...Counter rotating props cancel the torque out for each motor/prop...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,324 Posts
Yeah I understand the concept, just thought it might be worth a try!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Yeah I understand the concept, just thought it might be worth a try!
The full scale Mossie didn't have counter rotating props...I'm sure that HH tested the model of the Mossie extensively and found that counter rotating props were needed...As far as I know---The HH Mossie is the only micro model in their line with a reversed motor...I'm betting that they wouldn't have gone to the trouble with a special motor if it wasn't necessary for good flying qualities...Especially at takeoff...Can you immagine how hard full scale Mossie pilots had to stand on the rudder?!?!???!!!!...

Maybe hand launching this model at less than full throttle with non-counter rotating props the P-factor wouldn't be much of an issue---But those that like to take off with the landing gear I would think that the plane would be a real handfull on takeoff...I know that my Mossie is very easy to take off with counter rotating props...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 09, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,324 Posts
Fair point, well made!!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,014 Posts
I put in a flight on my Mossie this evening---The setting sun really set this plane off as far as visuals are concerned!!!...My Hyperion 400mAh battery is really bringing this plane to life...When hand launching I can easily go at an 80* climb-out, out of sight...The battery is breaking in as well as the gearbox/motor...I should have done a hatcam video---Maybe tomorrow evening!!!

Kevin
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
Use a magnify glass and look closely at the gear for damage or dirt stuck between the teeth.
Hi there. My parts arrived and it is the motor for sure. The brushes are fine but one of the commutators is missing and another one is bent. Oh well, it wasn't that hard to replace.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
Ohhh---But contraire!!!

I'm about to experiment with Bravo SX motors that have proven to supply waaaay more power than the stock motors...The issue is with the reversed motor is requiring the brushes on the reversed motor being "reversed"....I'm going to put a Bravo SX motor on the "normal" rotating prop and take apart a stock Mossie reversed motor and use the reversed brushes from the end cap of the stock Mossie motor to get the Bravo SX motor rotation correct with reversed brushes...

I posed using the stock Mossie motor reversed brushes in a Bravo SX motor question in the "Bravo SX/Solo Motor" thread but with no reply...I guess that I'm the guinea pig for this mod...

Kevin
Why don't you try the stock SP motor? I don't see anything in the design that would stop the motor from running well in either direction -- after all, these motors run in both directions all the time when they are moving CD trays in and out. Here's a shot of the mossie CCW brushes from the starboard (reverse) motor. Sure, the bend is in one direction but the long straight part that comes in contact with the commutator is nice and parallel to it. It might make a difference when the brushes are worn down and about to fail, but by then it won't long before it just fails completely so who cares?

Ps: when the brushes wear through and break off while the motor is turning in the "right" direction, you will get a screeching noise while the motor continues to work for a short while. If the motor is turning in the "wrong" direction you may get an immediate failure instead. That's the only drawback that I can think of.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Last edited by jdwolters; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:14 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
That's what I wanted to hear!!
my UM Spitfire lacks power to go vertical.. it just falls out of the sky when I try that sport flying..
Hey BL, how's it going?

Unquestionably, the Mossie has, by far, the best thrust-to-weight of all 1s UM warbirds to-date. Here are a couple examples of what a stock Mossie can do on a Hyp 240.

ROG from my deck. She effortlessly cleared the railing with a very short takeoff run. I start doing some aerobatics at 2:20. Plenty of power for round loops from level flight - and even an aileron roll at the top:

Hatcam - flying the UM Mosquito from my deck (6 min 9 sec)

On-board video. ROG takeoff on grass w/stock wheels. The Mossie still has plenty of power - even when carrying a 15-gram keychain cam under the belly. I didn't do it during this clip, but she will still loop while carrying the cam - however, a bit of a dive is required to make them nice & round. Notice the short takeoff roll & how quickly she gets to altitude while carrying the cam:

UM Mosquito - on-board video from the yard #2 (6 min 56 sec)

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
New to RC flying. Flown a Bixler twice on a buddy box. Ordered a Bixler 2 and decided I had to have the Parkzone Mosquito too.

Of course, the Mosquito arrived first. Instead of waiting for more training, I tried to fly it in a city park. Tail was heavy and climbed 42' into a tree before I could get it trimmed.

Son's friend works for phone company and had a long enough expandable pole to get it down. Only one minor tear in a wing.

The plane spent overnight in the tree with the battery connected so it ran down and reset the servo for the ailerions. I have a Specktrum DX6I. My ailerions now move in the same direction. I tried to reset with the radio as described in an earlier thread. I get the 3 beeps, but then only one ailerion moves. Any idea why both would move and then only one? Is something unplugged or loose?

thanks

LynnsABCs
Knoxville, Tn.
Lynnsabcs is offline Find More Posts by Lynnsabcs
Last edited by Lynnsabcs; Oct 25, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,344 Posts
have you tried to re bind the plane to the radio?
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:53 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,088 Posts
Go on Horizonhobby.com, find the manual for the AR6410 or AR6410T, Put the brick in dual aileron mode, put your transmitter into dual aileron mode. Then, if you reverse eaither the ail channel or flap channel your plane should work.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:15 PM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
I rebinded the plane based on the instructions. I will try working on the brick. Leaving for nashville early in the am but will try when I get back.

Thanks!
Lynnsabcs is offline Find More Posts by Lynnsabcs
Last edited by Lynnsabcs; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:22 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,892 Posts
servo reversing happens frequently with these bricks if the battery is allowed to get too low. The suggestion of setting up dual ailerons is a good one. Then you can also add some differential which makes banking and turning easier. I also have spoilerons setup on my Mossie. It is a fun little plane
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:17 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,542 Posts
It looks like no one has ever done a brushless conversion, but would it be possible with the mosquito brick if you had plenty of room

I have a scratch built cub-esque plane thats a bit too heavy with the stock equipment so I think brushless is in order.

Here it is:

Carbon Cub Panorama (1 min 43 sec)

Carbon Cub Panorama Maiden flight (3 min 7 sec)
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX