HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:05 AM
Joined Dec 2010
35 Posts
It's really not an English. Really want to understand and follow the instruction but can't take the risk. Thanks anyway.
somchai6813 is offline Find More Posts by somchai6813
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:39 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Does anyone know how to use the little metal pitch gauge helper thingy that came with the heli?

Do I have to screw it into the top of the head and put a rod through it or something? Not sure
kdean is offline Find More Posts by kdean
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:04 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,151 Posts
That's what 60something suggested in another forum. I haven't tried it out myself.
Wasp09 is offline Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Mar 01, 2011, 02:20 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by somchai6813 View Post
It's really not an English. Really want to understand and follow the instruction but can't take the risk. Thanks anyway.
That is fine. Go and get yourself a signal converter, or a 2612V which does not require conversion. There is always a risk if the converter stops working, the V400D02 is not set up for auto rotation.

I'll be using the converter myself as my second 2614V is coming.

My next experiment may be coding the conversion directly onto my existing AVR based ESC. That would make it zero hardware cost and save me some connectors and space. I have to figure out how to drive a brushless motor first.

Actually Walkera RX's are AVR based. However I don't know how to communicate with the TX. The 2.4GHz transciever is controlled by the same AVR.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:04 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Rx2702

Hey wasp,

would the rx2702 work with the stock V400 brushed dual motor set up?

And could it handel a double brushless set up
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:25 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdean View Post
Hey wasp,

would the rx2702 work with the stock V400 brushed dual motor set up?

And could it handel a double brushless set up
Do you mean the 2702V on V450D01? Since V450D01 uses BL main and variable pitch tail, 2702V would have to be regular.

The V400D02 stock brushed ESC won't work with it. You would need signal converters the other way to drive brushed ESCs and motors.

It should work with brushless motors on both. As usual, it may be a bit tricky to start the tail brushless. The tail output could be anywhere at start up instead at lowest throttle for the tail ESC to arm.
Last edited by Wasp09; Mar 02, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:35 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
And then there were three...

The other two V400 are here at last. And in just in time....

Went to work tonight with the intent of stoping at the park on the way home. As I got to work, my sax player friend, who lets me use his US address, gives me the two boxes I have been expecting two arrive some time this week. My #2 and #3 are here..

#2 is new, with 2603 tx two batteries and aluminium case, never flown, and #3 was used once then crashed then sold to me. (#3 came with the servos off, tail boom off, the canopy although it was new was split at the seem, bad packing is to blame.) The seller also included the replacement parts to get it flying again. Including a set of turnigy mg servos.

There was no breeze tonight, and I was feeling realy confident. I have back up helis now. I dont know how it happend but, i was practising some forward side to side passes, i even took her up and did a piero (not to pretty), I went straight out and tried to the left and ended up face first in the grass. It happend so fast I did not even have a chance to react. As i took the walk of shame I was imagining the list of parts i would have to order, head, swash, main shaft, rotors, tail boom, servos, tail rotor and gear, 4 weeks of waiting.......etc...

But, after a quick inspection, I only stripped a few teeth of the main gear. I got some at home, no problem mon...

I still had some juice in the battery, and I have a brand new heli in the car. You Know It... Swaped the battery, binded, and hovered the rest of the battery.

Not all V400 are shipped with the same set up. This one was very 'tight'. I have my gyro set at 100% on my #1, but #2 with no adjustment at all did not want to leave the hover. I tried some tail in side to sides, and she did not want to move. The tail also holds better with #2. I used the same tx and did not touch the trims and the tail was actually slightly pushing to the right. #1 always pushes to the left.

Got home unpacked every thing and spent some time putting #3 back together again. I have big plans for it. Need to use the power tool to get the turnigy's in, and I dont want to wake the wife and kids, so it will have to wait till the weekend.

Maybe if i quit my job...........

Shout out to Thatguy, Joe thanx again.....
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:36 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
919 Posts
Hi kdean,

Sorry for your crash, but it does happen, and fast as you said.

I did some work on the 9053 last night, and man, after working on the V400's, I felt is was working on a tank. No wonder it survives falls from high altitudes that would crumple a V400. I started looking at V400 #1 which is dis-asseambled, and thinking if only I could put the V400 drive system in that, it would make the perfect beginner CP. Even some 3D with brushless power, but it would be a major project and probably not worth it. The geometry on them is so different.

I think I read one of your posts somewhere you were looking at a different heli to put the V400 system in. Which one was that and how difficult would that be?

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:18 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Hi kdean,

Sorry for your crash, but it does happen, and fast as you said so different.

I think I read one of your posts somewhere you were looking at a different heli to put the V400 system in. Which one was that and how difficult would that be?

SpadCat
The EXI 450, its funny, the air frame is built like the 9053, trex clone. It comess with a flybar head, but you can purchase fbl heads, and alot of other upgraded, after market parts. Trex compatible....

Kdean
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:57 AM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
Fixer-Upper (#3)

Spent a few hours putting the Turnigy mg servos in my #3 V400 re-build. (will post pics soon)

I did alot of adjusting to the upper frame, shaving down the whole rear section so the bigger servos would sit right.

I got the swash level, but the pitch looks a bit off. Once I get the blades on I can set the ball link rods to the right length.

I have to reverse the rx to fix the gyro, and I'm going find a way to put the esc under the frame instead of on the side.

Will keep you posted.......

kdean
Old Mar 03, 2011, 12:11 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,151 Posts
Quote:
The EXI 450, its funny, the air frame is built like the 9053, trex clone. It comess with a flybar head, but you can purchase fbl heads, and alot of other upgraded, after market parts. Trex compatible....

Kdean
Are you going to transfer both brushed main and tail motor over? The V400D02 boom is smaller in cross-section than the 450 boom. I am afraid the tail motor holder won't fit without an adapter.

You would need a signal converter to use a pitched bell or TT tail with RX2614V.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:12 PM
BahamaHeli
The Bahamas
Joined Dec 2010
3,664 Posts
I would lose the tail motor and add a tail servo. The EXI 450 comes with belt or tt tail. Not sure which version i want yet.

A brushless motor and esc will be in order.

Also thinking about the walkera 2702v rx (from v450) for the 450 clone and also for my V400. Wasp09 is the man to ask about conterting electronic signals.

I basicaly want a V450 in a stronger frame, and my V400 to fly like the V450.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 02:29 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,151 Posts
Quote:
I would lose the tail motor and add a tail servo. The EXI 450 comes with belt or tt tail. Not sure which version i want yet.

A brushless motor and esc will be in order.

Also thinking about the walkera 2702v rx (from v450) for the 450 clone and also for my V400. Wasp09 is the man to ask about conterting electronic signals.

I basicaly want a V450 in a stronger frame, and my V400 to fly like the V450.
A tail servo, a new RX and you would be using 2801, unless we keep the brushed main motor, what really do we make use of the V400D02? The conception leading us there I suppose
Old Mar 03, 2011, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2010
919 Posts
Quote:
Spent a few hours putting the Turnigy mg servos in my #3 V400 re-build. (will post pics soon)

I did alot of adjusting to the upper frame, shaving down the whole rear section so the bigger servos would sit right.

I got the swash level, but the pitch looks a bit off. Once I get the blades on I can set the ball link rods to the right length.

I have to reverse the rx to fix the gyro, and I'm going find a way to put the esc under the frame instead of on the side.

Will keep you posted.......

kdean
Hey kdean,

To fix the ESC tyrap problem interfering with bigger batteries (I am assuming that is the reason for moving the ESC), just clip the tyraps off and use either double sided tape or Velcro to secure the ESC to the side where it normally is. Plenty of room now for a 3s 2200 (which I tested).

In regards to the EXI 450, I would like to use all the mechanics and electronics of the V400 to fit in one. I just want to get rid of the crappy V400 fuselage frame and hardware. Most of it is just junk.

SpadCat

Edit: HK has the HK 450 bare bones kit for only $9.44 plus shipping. Good way to go if I want to experiment, but it is on B/O
Last edited by SpadCat2000; Mar 03, 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Feb 2010
919 Posts
Fixing Broken Tail Motor Holder

The poor design and low quality materials make the tail motor holder about as weak as the other end. Here is a fix for that: Mix epoxy with cotton flox as a filler and if the part is broken, attach it with super glue to hold in place, then coat the entire outside surface at the break and this will permanently bond the pieces together plus make it much stronger. If you crash hard enough to break this, you will have broken everything else on the heli. I now also use it as a preventive measure to keep the part from getting broken.

SpadCat