HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:04 PM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Brøndbyvester
Joined Jun 2009
603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
Did you try re-flashing in the firmware, making sure your camera battery is fully charged when you start, and letting the camera sit untouched until the yellow LED comes back on after starting the flashing operation? And did you erase the firmware file after flashing it in so the camera doesn't keep flashing it in everytime you power up?

The flashing procedure is pretty simple and should work fine if the instructions are followed exactly.
I have done this operation once before, on my first camera and it went just fine.

Here is what I did -

I put the memorycard into my cardreader, did a Quick format. Copied the firmware file onto to card. Put the card into my camera, try to turn the camera on, but the camera will not turn on - it stays turned off. The camera is fully charged.

I will try to find some more help, searching this threadt.
SpookiePower is offline Find More Posts by SpookiePower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:38 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by air_crash View Post
Yes, I can.
I also use Videostudio Pro x4 version, and it can import and edit the files.
I have a v2 #11 camera with release 1 firmware, if this makes a difference. It may not, I can`t know as I never have installed release 2 firmware, neither I have a v3 camera.

I think you miss the part that the camera is sold from USA.
So if you`re a US citizen, I`m not, then you gain:

a) warranty. As you may have seen there are some posts mentioning about the cost to send the camera back to China, wait, wait, wait, and after so much waiting you may get the replacement. I would say that there is no warranty if you get it through China. If you`re lucky it works, if not then you have nothing. It`s like as when you cast the dice.
So here you have no such trouble.

b) faster shipping. I suppose.

c) hand picked. Maybe.

d) seller pays taxes. Like if you had to pay taxes for importing the camera, plus the profit taxes for the sale. So a part of the price is gone to the IRS. I suppose.

I think the phrase that this is an open market and anyone can make his own decisions is the right one.
I myself bought two from China cause there were not sold in my country anyway, and I may did the same if the price difference was big enough to take my risks -as I`m a risky man and then I don`t worry if something goes wrong.
There is no difference in the .MOV files produced by the different camera vaersion that would allow one file to be loaded into a program but not another file, unless one file got somehow corrupted.

Lets be more accurate about the warranty. Your comment about no warranty/out of luck if a defective camera purchased from one of the China eBay sellers listed in post #2 is TOTALLY WRONG! Based on all the posts here, any defective camera that has been returned to them for confirmation of the defect has been replaced... all of them! The fact that the camera has to be returned at the user's expense to verify the defect (and analyze/correct the problem on future cameras) has received complaints and was discussed here before. This is standard practice here and I wish people would stop complaing about it! Maybe you can get a replacement sent to you and keep the original where you live, but it does not mean there is no warranty or support by the China sellers! The cost to send the product back to China is a problem with your postal system, not the seller's warranty policy. I can (and have) returned a defective camera to China from here in the U.S. for about $5 US. The return/replacement time delay can be minimized by negotiating with the seller to buy a new one and get credit back for that purchase when the defective one is returned/received. I have no idea if the U.S. seller offers any warranty or can provide support equal to or better than the China sellers.

I agree the U.S. buyers should get the produce shipped to them a little faster from a U.S. seller, but that's about it. Taxes are pretty much a non-issue here unless the U.S. seller conducts business from the state where you live, then maybe 4% - 9% sales tax. But for me, the add on price of this U.S. seller is excessive for just the camera/memory card based on the excellent sales/ service and support I have received from my China eBay seller. I can get the product in about 7 days from China, and in 2-5 days from a U.S. based location, depending on where/how it's shipped.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:03 PM
The Netherlands, GR, Groningen
Joined Apr 2011
9 Posts
Quote:
a) warranty. As you may have seen there are some posts mentioning about the cost to send the camera back to China, wait, wait, wait, and after so much waiting you may get the replacement. I would say that there is no warranty if you get it through China. If you`re lucky it works, if not then you have nothing. It`s like as when you cast the dice.
What you imho may have forgotten is that a buyer who buys an article through Ebay (any article) has a very powerful tool: feedback ratings. Sellers are scared to death for negative feedback and they will do a lot to prevend that. It is certainly not uncommon that a seller offers to replace a defective item.

The main problem is that the seller wants you to send the defective item back first, and most of the time the buyer has to pay the return charges. Those shipping costs can be quite high. I expect these costs from, lets say, the USA to China or from Europe to China can be 10x higher than the other way around. I was told that Chinese vendors only have to pay a minimal amount because the Chinese government is paying for the rest, in order to stimulate chinese economy and chinese export.

[edit]: I was still typing this message when Tom was already posting his reply, which makes this message somewhat redundant, but I fully agree with what Tom wrote.
grun is offline Find More Posts by grun
Last edited by grun; Jul 01, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:04 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookiePower View Post
I have done this operation once before, on my first camera and it went just fine.

Here is what I did -

I put the memorycard into my cardreader, did a Quick format. Copied the firmware file onto to card. Put the card into my camera, try to turn the camera on, but the camera will not turn on - it stays turned off. The camera is fully charged.

I will try to find some more help, searching this threadt.
Mine did that ONCE, but using the USB connection process outlined in the FAQs revived it, and I has flashed in firmware at least a dozen or more times since then with no issues. The Rel2 firmware does take a bit longer to flash in, though... 11 to 12 secs. for the yellow LED to come on in my last one. Good luck. I'd keep trying it.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:14 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post
What you imho may have forgotten is that a buyer who buys an article through Ebay (any article) has a very powerful tool: feedback ratings. Sellers are scared to death for negative feedback and they will do a lot to prevend that. It is certainly not uncommon that a seller offers to replace a defective item.

The main problem is that the seller wants you to send the defective item back first, and most of the time the buyer has to pay the return charges. Those shipping costs can be quite high. I expect these costs from, lets say, the USA to China or from Europe to China can be 10x higher than the other way around. I was told that Chinese vendors only have to pay a minimal amount because the Chinese government is paying for the rest, in order to stimulate chinese economy and chinese export.
Cost from China to U.S. has to be really cheap, especially since they also send with tracking and delivery confirmation. To do THAT from the U.S. costs a ton and is prohibitive, but to just send via plain First Class International Mail to China is not expensive... $4.96 to be exact... not much different than sending a small parcel via regular parcel post within the U.S. Yeah, it could get lost in the mail and never be found, but so far everything I've send back to various China web sellers via that method eventually arrived. And I've always gotten a replacement. If my camera gets lost and never received, I've lost less than $5 with a good probabilty I'll get back a new $40 camera. Worth it for me. YMMV.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 01, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:57 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's some video shot from the P3 F-16 chasing an Alfa Mig-15 around. It was very late in the day and the cam did very well keeping up with the low light.

The transitions from sky to field where black but once enough of either was in the field of view the cams preformed very well. You can see the grain in the video due to the low light.

Without NAV lights on my F-16 I couldn't have flown this late in the day.

Still kinda cool.

PMAC - Johnny Mig (1 min 39 sec)

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:59 PM
a.d.m.i.n
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
Well this video is "private" so we cannot see it.
reptor is offline Find More Posts by reptor
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:01 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,205 Posts
Oops... Try now.

Joe
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:52 PM
Episyrphus balteatus
Sweden
Joined Dec 2008
183 Posts
Sweet video Joe! Classic dog fight!
Paxman is offline Find More Posts by Paxman
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:49 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Yeah Keith. I'd like to see that

Thanks

Kev
Here ya go! Lighting wasn't the best and it's kinda grainy, but you get the idea and can see the difference in each field of view. I didn't have the FE-12 centered up right as you can see with the edges in view on the right side. The W-67 isn't so critical, just slap it on and go. The FE-12 is hard to get all the edges out of view. It's usually just a little on the corners though, not like this.

HD Keychain camera, wide angle lens comparison (1 min 5 sec)
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:43 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLuneau View Post
Here ya go! Lighting wasn't the best and it's kinda grainy, but you get the idea and can see the difference in each field of view. I didn't have the FE-12 centered up right as you can see with the edges in view on the right side. The W-67 isn't so critical, just slap it on and go. The FE-12 is hard to get all the edges out of view. It's usually just a little on the corners though, not like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MARBHs_a27A
That was quick! Great stuff Keith. The freeze frames were an excellent idea giving a direct comparison.
I've got a single objective firstly with these lenses ( I have both on order) and that is to replicate this view http://www.youtube.com/user/georgitu.../1/cWaEoMAf1Z8 on the 2.32 metre Fox.

So hopefully I can fit the wing tips in with the W-67, (because it's less of a fiddle), although when you see the curvature of the horizon it does look like an FE-12 eh?

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:50 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,359 Posts
Yeah it looks like it, and you can see the edges of the lens in the top two corners as well. I'd guess FE-12. He's a member here by the way, if I remember right his username is "tushev", he used to hang out in the FPV forum when I was on a lot. Maybe he still does!? lol
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Old Jul 02, 2011, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2009
430 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I can.
I also use Videostudio Pro x4 version, and it can import and edit the files.
I have a v2 #11 camera with release 1 firmware, if this makes a difference. It may not, I can`t know as I never have installed release 2 firmware, neither I have a v3 camera.
OK thanks for that interestingly enough my version of x4 would not deal with MOV files and would simply shut down if I tried importing them. After some digging around I found a forum at Corel with a thread about this. Apparently it is a common fault on Videostudio that some installations will allow and some wont allow the use of MOV files

Anyway I have now overcome this problem by installing the latest "Quicktime Alternative" codec pack and immediatley after doing that Videostudio Pro x4 will import and edit MOV files. Hope this info is helpful to anyone else suffering with this problem.

Incidentally air crash the only thing I now have a problem with is when I apply a filter to the MOV video clip I then loose the audio from it does this happen with you?

Bill
billhally is offline Find More Posts by billhally
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:22 AM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grun View Post

I recently bought one of the 'fake' HD cameras http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-MiNi-U...item3f0519d0d1 from a Chinese Ebay vendor. I mailed him and after a 2 day exchange of mails - he was very quick to reply - I obtained a full refund, provided I gave good feedback and said it was my mistake. It cost £2-50 ( about $4) to return the item. I realise that not giving correct feedback may cause other buyers to be caught out but on this occasion I was thinking of No1!
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jul 02, 2011, 05:28 AM
Ελλάς, Αττική, Αθήνα
Joined Apr 2011
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhally View Post
Incidentally air crash the only thing I now have a problem with is when I apply a filter to the MOV video clip I then loose the audio from it does this happen with you?

Bill
I`ll let you know when I get back to home. I`m on vacations now, shooting with my #11, and so you`ll get news for this a bit late, after the 18th of the month.
air_crash is offline Find More Posts by air_crash
Closed Thread