HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
Kristoff and Kyle.......PM's sent. Thanks!
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:30 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Helios #2 the Vladios w/ carbon veil tails.

Overall I am thrilled to death on the new Helios. She seems to fly even better than my first Helios in one important aspect. HANG TIME!!!!!!

My 1st Helios was killer good at everything except float trips in the morning. True DEAD air times before the sun came up were 2:00 average. I have not had a chance to test #2 side by side, but I am almost positive #2 will hang longer.

She seems to launch just as high, run just as good, and also require just like #1, 6 grams of lead in the nose. The new Helios came w/o the ball of epoxy in the nose though so I was able to get the lead even further forward than on the other one.

The new one also will fly ALOT slower.

Granted I have only flown it 2 times now, but 1st impressions are that the KRAZY SUPER DUPER light tails are the BOMB, as well as the Vlad wing.

2 problems/minus to date.

1. The black wing and tails are not as easy to see at all angles as my original hunter orange one. But since this will be my dead air ship where I am not running to the next county in search of lift, I dont think this will be a real problem. Also miss the bright white stab of the 1st helios as that was often the only thing I could see at some angles in some lighting conditions.

#2 The dang wingtip broke on 2nd big boy launch at the contest last Saturday. Granted it was probably my fault for a crappy install, but I think I did a descent job. I was 2 steps from going to the Hospital Saturday so I had everyone else throw for me and the first task of the day was ladder. 1st toss went just fine, but TBM threw it like a girl. 2nd toss was puttin some coals to it and there was a familiar thwack sound & I said, uhhh ohhh, what was that? Upon landing we find the wing tip had split open at the ends where the top and bottom skins meet. TBM grabbed his concept and after almost 2 minutes of delay we are flying again and I get the 1:45.
We threw in some thin CA and she seemed plenty strong, but I did not fly her again as I didnt want to mess it up more on a field repair.

So................... here are a few pics. The peg is still rock solid in its connection to both wing skins but the integrity of the wing tip outward of the peg is not rock solid.

So, before I go and grab the dremel and put in a CR blade, any ideas how to secure what I have so I can fly it w/o a worry!

PS, would love to keep the stock blade as it is super comfy and LIGHT!

Great job Kristoff!!!!!!!!

As a side note the fit and finish of #2 seemed down a notch from #1. Little buggers in the fuse fabric, voids in the fuse w/o resin, and wing bolt holes that are not quite deep enough so wing bolts sit flush on wing. Still a great plane, but wing bolts not matching #1 is a real bummer and the overall fit and finish was not beyond perfect like #1 was.

I would give #1 an 11 out of 10 in quality and #2 a 9 out of 10.

Just the facts man.

PS, I plan to kick the locals butts some day with #2!!!!!

Dont take that as a knock and I dont want to start a big debate that the Helios is not a top shelf plane "It certainly is!!!!" but the absolute perfection was not there in this kit.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Last edited by JONBOYLEMON; Sep 17, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
PS, as to how much I like the plane, lets just say I would buy another if I had the $.

In a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:31 AM
He bowls overhand
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,557 Posts
Yeah, mine broke on the wingtip in the same spot. I put a 1"x1.5" piece of 2oz unicarbon with the warp running at a 45 degree angle from the peg towards the spar, and a smaller piece of 2.4oz 1k woven on top of that to balance it out. It only needed it on the top skin, and I used CA to wet out the carbon. No breaks since, with many full power throws.

Wonder if it has to do with the orientation of the Vlad towards the tips or something. Meh.. still cooler then a Concept...

Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,247 Posts
hi jon,

it looks like you didn't installed the blade as described in the build thread
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523724
post 14

it's really important to make a hardpoint around the peg , also to use lot's of THIN ca ! , it makes the rohacell harder around the hardpoint to .

it also seems like your'e peg is placed further back , i have also done such a thing on my xxlite but i used plenty of carbon around the peg to make it connect to the spar (put rovings on top and bottom)

-kristof-
krikkens is online now Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:46 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,396 Posts
I've always put a nickel-sized 1k woven carbon patch around my blades and never had an issue.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Thanks guys, loaded up the area w\ thin CA on the initial build, but i added a bunch more just now. I think i will lightly sand the paint iff the top skin as it did not take nearly as much CA. Will use a friends laminating epoxy and put a generous patch. And yes, I knew i was a installing a little different, but when you are dumb, life is hard.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,725 Posts
The trick to the CA thing with Rohacell skins is to cut the blade slot first. Then carefully wick CA into the exposed edges of the skins. Saturate, let it soak in. Repeat a few times until it is pretty solid. Don't handle anywhere in the area for a while. Let it cure first! Then install the blade.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:40 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Alphen aan den Rijn
Joined Dec 2007
76 Posts
Here is my Helios in the dunes near Soesterberg airfield, Netherlands

I love it

Lyckele
vw4style is offline Find More Posts by vw4style
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:34 PM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Flight Report.

Finally after several weeks I got darn near dead air to fly the Valad Helios.

It was beautiful. My 1st Helios is was 267 grams, and the new one is 249. A pretty big difference in that I dont think I could have loitered like I did tonight. Launched to 180 (Still recovering from a Staff infection in my throwing arm) or so and never went above that but slowly descended but on occasion I would get a few turns in slightly buoyant air and climb 10 or 20 feet.

She seems to have retained all the great qualities from my 1st Helios but has gained the ability to hang on a fart, which my 1st one just doesnt seem to want to do.

So 5:00 later I was drifting a little too low over the trees and thought it was time to come home. 2:00 later I was on the ground. What is most impressive is that when the bubble of good air left, it was gone, and the Helios had no trouble scootin over to the next gopher fart w/o giving up hardly any height!

PERFECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was wanting this Helios for DEAD air mornings at contest when there is no real lift and you just need to hang. Great job Kristoff! Have I ever posted how much I LOVE the HELIOS!!!!!!! I now have 2 babies for almost all conditions!

THANKS AGAIN!

PS, now that the fall colors of our mountains has passed mostly I can easily see the new Black Helios. A few weeks ago at the height of fall color she was almost impossible to see against the fall colors when I flew against the mountains..
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:45 PM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Flew the Vlad Helios at lunch today and had some actual lift at times. What is becoming obvious about this plane is that it will "meander" very well! She is very happy to just crawl along looking for better air while hardly giving up any altitude. Seems my other Helios did this ok, but seemed to loose more altitude.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Dang....I should have kept that one!!
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined May 2002
16,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shhhhh! View Post
dang....i should have kept that one!!
yeah, but thanks again!!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:52 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,724 Posts
Yes..................!!
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:30 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,237 Posts
Jon which color did you get from Dave? We may have another set of matching Helios. People might start talking..... lol
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member