HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 10, 2011, 07:55 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
TopDave's Avatar
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFRC View Post
cwazyduck,i bet its a slick new gyro retro fit or ass replacement eg rear wheel.that would be my guess.....i knew venom would come through..i mentioned to johnny a few posts back hang in and maybe you could forfill your dirtbike racing dreams when the ver 2.0 vmx comes out!!
A little rain on the parade! We were promised some new dirt tires too: censored:! Just saying...I do know that if Chris has anything to do with it, it will happen if the paper pushers will get out of the way!!!!
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
Registered User
70 Mach 1's Avatar
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
Yes that's great to hear that some changes are being made, hopefully it's all retrofit items, I think this bike works awesome but it could use a little better stability at very low speeds....either way I still stand behind Venom as one of the few that actually listen to their customer. Just like TopD said if Chris has anything to do with it they will make it Happen, on onother note...I'm not a bike guy when it come to RC or real life but Venom has gotten me ito it so it can happen to others, we need to keep this thread going for the love of the hobby which is what it's all about! Thanks guys!
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:18 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Street Use?

Anyone successfully running their bike on pavement? I could get it to do a circle and that was about it, it would just push in corners and fail to turn, it was terrible! Do you have to reverse the steering on pavement? I've seen a lot of vids with this type of bike turning all over the place even at slower speeds.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 03:50 PM
Editor, RCCA
Guidoracer's Avatar
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
A couple of questions for you, Rich...first, does your bike go well in a straight line, as in, find its balance and right itself with speed? Second, are you slowing down to turn? Even without a gyro in the rear, bikes have to be slowed to lean.

Turning goes like this: brake approaching the corner to slow the bike, turn the wheel to get the bike to lean, return the wheel back towards the center, use the throttle to control the arc of the turn, roll back in the throttle to get the bike to stand up out of the turn. Those are the basic steps. One you have that down, you can experiment with adding more steering mid-corner, counter-steering out of a turn and braking while leaning, but the important things are to slow down before the turn and not give it too much steering wheel while leaned over.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 04:16 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
A couple of questions for you, Rich...first, does your bike go well in a straight line, as in, find its balance and right itself with speed? Second, are you slowing down to turn? Even without a gyro in the rear, bikes have to be slowed to lean.

Turning goes like this: brake approaching the corner to slow the bike, turn the wheel to get the bike to lean, return the wheel back towards the center, use the throttle to control the arc of the turn, roll back in the throttle to get the bike to stand up out of the turn. Those are the basic steps. One you have that down, you can experiment with adding more steering mid-corner, counter-steering out of a turn and braking while leaning, but the important things are to slow down before the turn and not give it too much steering wheel while leaned over.
Tried those techniques after some reading, in every case it either spins out, or pushes, when I slow down it actually has even less turn radius and most times just falls over. I can hear the gyro running, but maybe it's not fast enough, who knows. I had the thing running pretty tight turns on the grass, but no luck on the pavement. Will the bike even drive with the steering set-up like a full on road bike?


Thanks.
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
Registered User
70 Mach 1's Avatar
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2010
38 Posts
I really have not been successful in turning without it falling over once I slow to a certain point it falls, I have experimented with counter steering as I exit and it seems tighter but uses alot of parking lot to do so, I just figured it had a lot to do with the original dirt tires, I don't race so it really doesn't bother me except when I smash into a curb because I couldn't turn sharp enough. I haven't been out with the bike in almost 2weeks and I'm starting to get withdraw shakes!
70 Mach 1 is offline Find More Posts by 70 Mach 1
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:19 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
TopDave's Avatar
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 Mach 1 View Post
I really have not been successful in turning without it falling over once I slow to a certain point it falls, I have experimented with counter steering as I exit and it seems tighter but uses alot of parking lot to do so, I just figured it had a lot to do with the original dirt tires, I don't race so it really doesn't bother me except when I smash into a curb because I couldn't turn sharp enough. I haven't been out with the bike in almost 2weeks and I'm starting to get withdraw shakes!
Sounds like you guys are "driving" it like a "car". That doesn't work. Listen to what GuidoRacer says: Turning goes like this: brake approaching the corner to slow the bike, turn the wheel to get the bike to lean, return the wheel back towards the center--. This will let the bike "steer itself", something like riding "no handed" on a bike. If you are still steering into the turn while the bike is on the skid bar, your bike is steering to the outside of the turn.(like "pushing" in car lingo, but not really because the bike is actually steering that way) Adding throttle on corner exit and/or gently steering the controller wheel to the outside will stand the bike back up. Think about it: when you steer left your bike steers to the right to establish a left lean. (Just like with a real bike or motorcycle ,when you want to turn left you pull on the right handle bar to get the machine to lean left, try it, I know it does not sound logical til you think about it. Hope this helps....
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Last edited by TopDave; Dec 12, 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:07 AM
MY '75 CZ "FALTA REPLICA" 2010
TopDave's Avatar
Waterford, Michigan
Joined May 2006
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH S View Post
Tried those techniques after some reading, in every case it either spins out, or pushes, when I slow down it actually has even less turn radius and most times just falls over. I can hear the gyro running, but maybe it's not fast enough, who knows. I had the thing running pretty tight turns on the grass, but no luck on the pavement. Will the bike even drive with the steering set-up like a full on road bike?


Thanks.
Yes it will Rich, See my reply above, Dave
TopDave is offline Find More Posts by TopDave
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:29 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro View Post
I can tell you guys that the next generation of the VMX will be stable enough you can race on typical indoor warehouse concrete its just a matter of a little more time. So hang in there and racing on tight tracks will become a reality very soon I can assure you.

Thats my little X_Mas gift...a little piece of mind that we have not forgotten our loyal customers and supporters and that we are working on the next evolution of the VMX to make it even better.
Wow, cool. Very exciting news and does give a little peace of mind. I now know holding off selling the bike was a good idea. I hope what you and your company develope will give the bike the stability it needs for situations like on a dusty hardpacked track (slick cold cement in your case lol). If it holds a consistent gyro force and be able to keep the bike upright at slow speeds, or even better, like how the dx450 can for split second stay upright at full stop, it will be game on.

Concerning the tires, I'd take gyro stability over track tires any day. Maybe what your working on will boost the desire for track tires. Or better yet, maybe you can see if you can resurrect the track tires again and release them near same time frame as your new project. Your design has gone all the way with the beadlocks, foam inserts, and if your new project is released, it would be sad to not take that final complete step towards a first ever track tire for a dirt bike.

Can't wait! Thank you Chris,
John
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:37 AM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
@Rich
Im not sure if this answers your question, but Ive got a few vids of the vmx on street. This track has got a clean surface, but illustrates the vmx works just fine. I have a feeling the street surface your driving on is lousy, since it sounds like you understand the driving principles. I really think a video of your bike at the location in question would help a bunch for us though. I put my camera bolted to bill of a baseball cap. It works perfectly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKHJ...ure=plpp_video
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:12 PM
gjw
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
12 Posts
Just got my VMX delivered this weekend.

My first impression when opening the box was WOW, it is big!

Unfortunately the QC has really spoilt it though. The first thing I noticed was loads of play in the rear wheel, on closer inspection I've found that the right outer bearing and the outer shim are both completely missing. I've also noticed the chain rubs badly against the motor so will need to be adjusted before use. I gave up looking after that due to the disappointment but I will be having a quick strip and re-build before I use it, fingers crossed that's all that's wrong with it.

On a plus side the model shop have advised that the UK distributer will send me the replacement bearing and shim direct, hope I don't have a long wait.
gjw is offline Find More Posts by gjw
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:21 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2000
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
@Rich
Im not sure if this answers your question, but Ive got a few vids of the vmx on street. This track has got a clean surface, but illustrates the vmx works just fine. I have a feeling the street surface your driving on is lousy, since it sounds like you understand the driving principles. I really think a video of your bike at the location in question would help a bunch for us though. I put my camera bolted to bill of a baseball cap. It works perfectly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GKHJ...ure=plpp_video
Thanks the one in the vid looks like it's working great, even when I slowed down and cented the steering it would just "push", I can drive the bike that precise on grass, so I'm not sure what up. I'll have to wait until next spring when the weather is better to experiment more, my gyro housing is fried now as well, the inside of it is dust (the clutch shoes ate it away) I never get more than about 20 or so runs on that housing, then it gets so worn it doesn't work. Are the street bike steering set-up the opposite of the VMX? and why?
RICH S is offline Find More Posts by RICH S
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:36 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
JohnnyMc's Avatar
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,758 Posts
Rich, just curious but regarding your gyro, you mentioned before you dont recall seeing the red bushing installed in back wheel. Did you get that part installed or not?

BTW, steering is steering, its all the same setup.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 05:37 PM
Editor, RCCA
Guidoracer's Avatar
Joined Nov 2004
3,168 Posts
That is Dwayne's bike in that vid. I was running the poorly setup DX450 in that same vid. The setups for our dirt bikes are the same as out on-road bikes. From my Rickys to my DX450 to VMX, it all works the same way. I'm not sure what tuning and tweaking Dwayne did to his VMX, but I'm pretty sure he changed the steering damper oil. He is DLAWW here on RC Groups.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 07:05 PM
Registered User
Chris Nicastro's Avatar
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjw View Post
Just got my VMX delivered this weekend.

My first impression when opening the box was WOW, it is big!

Unfortunately the QC has really spoilt it though. The first thing I noticed was loads of play in the rear wheel, on closer inspection I've found that the right outer bearing and the outer shim are both completely missing. I've also noticed the chain rubs badly against the motor so will need to be adjusted before use. I gave up looking after that due to the disappointment but I will be having a quick strip and re-build before I use it, fingers crossed that's all that's wrong with it.

On a plus side the model shop have advised that the UK distributer will send me the replacement bearing and shim direct, hope I don't have a long wait.
Keep me informed on your parts issue and we can be sure to get you whats missing as soon as possible. Which store are you working with?

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion HoobyKing new dirt bike vs. venom vmx 450 amitgv1 Motorcycles 19 Oct 13, 2010 11:09 AM
Discussion Duratrax DX450 VS. Venom VMX 450 Butters Motorcycles 31 Mar 18, 2010 03:41 PM
Discussion VMX 1/4 Scale Dirt Bike Venom Media Venom 4 Mar 01, 2010 06:41 PM
Discussion Venom VMX 450 MX Bike! Mark Headling Motorcycles 2 Feb 09, 2010 11:44 AM
Discussion The Original 1/4 Scale RC nitro dirt bike from the 70's Magicd1 Motorcycles 6 Oct 02, 2006 02:06 AM