HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2007
263 Posts
How well do you tread murky green water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Sailer View Post
the Only thing I could do is jump in the water. Good thing its only four feet deep. I could walk over to the other side.

G

Hey Gary, better plan your route across the lake carefully. Once when it was drained, the deep spot was estimated at 14 ft.

How well do you tread murky green water?

Just be careful out there, the troglodytes should follow the little guy with the stick and the string and move up to speeds they can handle.

The club isn't responsible for the idiotic shenanigans of a few, but anything that can be done to forestall any destructive accidents is the very least we can do.

Happy sailing, see you out there, hopefully unscathed and dry.
tugs is offline Find More Posts by tugs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:58 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
SATURDAY AT THE (beer-can) RACES

Guys,
Here we go with off-season unofficial "beer-can"* race #4. We had ten boats for #3. Lets see if we can get 11 on the lake for the 4th (of 5) off-season races. And, New Year's Day we had 5 boats at one point. Its all good. More is more better. Ha!

NOAA FOR SATURDAY: partly cloudy & cold 48* mid-day wind 2-5 NNE
[

then, 49ers v Packers 5pm (:

Onward. (:
Jp-wopT aka Jerry (promotor without portfolio)

*(beer-can race-unsanctioned, no forms, no fees, no food, nothing but fun)
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:54 PM. Reason: add data
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:56 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD RC Boater View Post
Am I missing something? I thought there was a 15 mph speed limit on Spreckels Lake.
The most pertinent San Francisco Recreation & Parks Department rules for all gas and nitro I/C boats can be paraphrased as -
  1. 15 MPH is the absolute maximum legal speed for any I/C and nitro boat (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  2. A maximum volume of 60 decibels measured on a full throttle pass at a distance of 50 feet. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  3. ALL nitro and I/C powered boats must be equipped with working mufflers. (RES. NO 15818)
  4. Permitted hours: Tues., Thurs., and Sat., 10:00 hrs to 13:00 hrs. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  5. Only TWO I/C powered boats may be on the water at any one time.. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  6. I/C powered boats must orbit in a generally counterclockwise direction.. (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
  7. Gas (I/C) and Nitro boats must stay out of the following areas as restricted by Rec and Park
    1. the entire north side of the Lake (Sign North Shore)
    2. the entire east end of the Lake (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
    3. the entire west end of the Lake (RES. NO 15818) (Sign South Shore)
    4. the area referred to in Resolution 15818 as the "electric and steamboat operating area;" now cordoned with buoys. (RES. NO 15818)

These are not up for debate, discussion, negotiation or having "words," they are San Francisco Recreation and Parks Commission mandates, Resolution 15818, enacted 20 September 1990 and have the force of law. They are not "guidelines." They have been the law for the past 22 years.
Break them and you will be fined $100 for each violation, and / or be arrested. The Club has to abide by them too.

The Rec and Park rules mandate MUFFLERS - Not tuned pipes.

The speed and noise limits nor the restrictions regarding the cordoned area do not, per Red & Park rules, apply to electric or steam powered boats.

However

The Club requests that for reasons of everyone's' safety and accident prevention, electric speed boats capable of more than 10 miles-per-hour follow the same run-area rules as gas or I/C powerboats when running at speeds in excess of 10 miles-per-hour and not to exceed 'walking' speed within the buoy cordoned areas.

The Clubs asks all speed boats, of whatever powerplant type, vacate the Lake between the hours of 13:00 to 16:30 daily so as not to endanger the sailboats. You may run from 16:30 until you feel it unsafe to run or the Park closes for the evening.

The Club also asks that power boats outside the restricted area, refrain from gong faster than 10 MPH within 50 feet from the Lake edge to conform to the safety regulations and insurance rules of the major national model power boating organizations, i.e. NAMBA, IMPBA etc.

The Club also asks that all power boaters with models capable of exceeding 10 MPH carry insurance to cover any accidents.

The Club asks that all amphibious flyers at the Lake be members of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) and carry AMA Liability Insurance in addition to personal liability insurance..

The Club asks, for safety reasons and to comply with AMA safety regulations and insurance rules, all amphibious aircraft in flight remain at least 75 feet from shore, land no closer than 50 feet from shore with a path parallel to the shore and then taxi to shore.

- - - - - -

When the Recreation and Park rules, Res 15818, the signs on the north and south shores, were handed down from upon high, they came with a caveat, I am told by people who were there at the time - make them work or else! The 'or else' was, as far as I have been informed, closing the lake to R/C and powered watercraft.

There is a PDF copy of the text of the Rec & Parks Commission Resolution 15818 below....

Oh, and no, the 60 decibel noise limit in the resolution is NOT a typo - 60 decibels is less than the volume of a conversation in a quiet setting such as a library or quiet restaurant. Any Gas or I/C motor generating a sound level in excess of 60 db @ 50 feet at full throttle is illegal on Spreckels Lake.
craig_c is online now Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:34 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,650 Posts
The recent rains have raised the level of the Lake. When I was out there today, it was about 3/8 inch from overflowing the pit area.

Fast boats are much more likely to jump the edge of the Lake when the water is this high. Please run you boats safely and be careful out there.

Also, Rec and Park is working on the irrigation / watering valves on the north side of the Lake and has excavated two four-foot-square areas adjoining the pathway there. Watch your footing sailors.

Also: Someone dropped a four cell AA battery pack over on the north side of the lake - I left it in the Clubhouse.

(Thanks Gary, the local bats are pretty fast too, but I don't worry bout 'em - collision avoidance radar)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 08, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:39 AM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
attaboy!

Thanks Craig for the tone, clarity and history. Nice work.

And......its "beer-can #4" time Saturday. The SB beer-can off-season mock race series is an informal set of races following our membership meetings. Beer-can racing is unsanctioned, no forms, no fees, no food and nothing but fun. While we encourage SBs to prep off-season for September's AMYA-SFMYC-NAC-SBOD, I-54s, Wheelers, other boats-large & small-are encouraged to join in the mock races. Its a big lake and there's room for everyone.

NOAA FOR SATURDAY: partly cloudy & cold 48* mid-day wind 2-5 NNE
[

CU on the H20!
Jerry, promotor without portfolio
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:55 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Jerry, do you have an extra five cell AA battery pack. I have not replaced mine yet. I sent away for a few but don't know if ill have them in time. that's why I had to pull out of lake last time, battery had a memory lock charge and faded early. Hope to be lakeside.

G
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Gary,
PM me, I might be able to help you. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:51 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,650 Posts
Club Meeting tomorrow - be there or be square
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Jan 11, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
mock racing The beer-can #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
Cluub Meeting tomorrow - be there or be square
Cold beer-can, 48* 2-5 mph , mock race #4 to follow meeting...charge BATs
CU on HO after meeting!
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:57 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2 View Post
Cold beer-can, 48* 2-5 mph , mock race #4 to follow meeting...charge BATs
CU on HO after meeting!
So the challenge is to convert a beer, or soda can into a boat and race it?
Are they to be sailboats, or is there a powered class?
What would be the limits on beer can racing?

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:50 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,650 Posts
Kegs, Umi, kegs!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
A very nice day even with light winds. got a lot of runs in and it seemed like all the captains were having fun.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,298 Posts
Very nice.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
beyond limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki View Post
So the challenge is to convert a beer, or soda can into a boat and race it?
Are they to be sailboats, or is there a powered class?
What would be the limits on beer can racing?

beer-can racing can be whatever you want it to be. By definition, a beer-can race is informal, unsanctioned and could occur when 2 or 10 boats (power/sail/free/RC) happen to be near each other. It is whatever you want it to be-by informal agreement.

I could imagine tug boats challenging Santa Barbaras Saturday to a beer-can race and the tug would win in that wind. Ha!

First and foremost, lets get more boats out on the HO for fun-mock racing or otherwise. More is more better!!! Just sayin'
JT
occasional beer-can race promotor without portfolio

ps beer-cans into boats...cool idea...maybe it starts with a one design and morphs into a all cans large and small perhaps hooter's cans!?. Just sayin'
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
608 Posts
Nice race guys!

Lots of skippers & boats turned out for beer-can #4. Thanks-one-n-all!
Fortunately it wasn't as cold as forecast (nor as windy-darn). But, nice turnout.

The last beer-can race of the off-season will be Sat. Feb 16 1-3 following the membership meeting. The Feb meets is moved from the 2nd to 3rd Sat in support of the Petaluma Hobby Show.

The author here grew up boating on the Petaluma River and supports everything RC in Petaluma. If you're not familiar with Petaluma (the River or Airport), remember the Petaluma Airport's 29er Diner is a pilots favorite, year-after-year. Lots of nostalgia on the diner's walls from back-n-the-day!

Petaluma boating-flying-hot rods...whos got it better than that........noooooooooooo body!
wyldrydes rule!