SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RS Rogers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:34 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-FELN View Post
Please :
'm having problem setting up the CC ICE2 60HV (new), somehow the throttle endpoint setup is not succeeding and I've done this to my others CC ESC without any problems! I spent 1 day and + to try it: nothing to do. Again The ICE2 would not enter in manual program mode by Throttle, seem not receive the chanel signal.
The ICE2 setup by computer sofware is all default set with Type Helicopter and throttle fixed endpoint.
TX SPEKTRUM DX8 - RX AR8000 DSMX with TM1000 - frame rate is 11ms, also tried to bind with another new RX AR8000 without TM1000 still nothing to find endpoint. Also tried reload firmware and reset to default.

Thanks in advance for some suggestion.
B.Regards
PS: Than I will contact CC technical support.

With a Graupner MX12 PCMS: the same. I think this is a faulty unit.....
Now I'm unhappy CC customer cause this unit was send to me in substitution of an ICE HV 60 recalled from them for service advisory. The old ICE HV60 had also the same problem. Now I split to buy a new Himodel ESC: tired to waste my time on bad CC units.

Make sure the center wire is not disconnected in the servo lead from the TX and ESC.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:26 PM
T-REX 250 -450-500-600-700G
ITALY, PAVIA
Joined Mar 2009
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
Make sure the center wire is not disconnected in the servo lead from the TX and ESC.
Thanks,
with the center wire connected the CC unit became very very HOT so I switch all OFF: fear to burn!
I-FELN is offline Find More Posts by I-FELN
Last edited by I-FELN; Jan 08, 2013 at 12:11 AM. Reason: update
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:51 AM
Keith Thomas
United States, NM, Portales
Joined Feb 2010
1,082 Posts
Can I extend the motor wires 12"? I fly Jets and usually put caps and extend the battery wires. I thought I read somewhere that you can extend the motor wires without using the caps.

I have been following the Ron van Sommeren thread for a long time and can't get a answer there. I am running Castle 120HV and 160HV's. I haven't launched the new Jet yet I hate dead stick landings so I thought I better ask for help.

By the way, I have owned probably 15....or more of your speed controls, for my application (Jets) they are perfect. NOT one failure over the last 5 years....I can't say that about the other esc's I've run. Great product! Hey it's time for some new decals.lol
keithtsr is offline Find More Posts by keithtsr
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
Just bought a Phoenix Edge Lite 50A to replace the burned up stock ESC on my Blade 450X. I think I understand everything, but what do I use for PWM and motor timing settings? The stock motor is the E-flite 440H and it's a 6 pole motor, 4200Kv, 136T aftermarket Lynx main gear and 9T (or maybe 10T in the future) pinion. I've searched and cannot find the other specs. 3S 2200mAh 35C batteries. Thanks in advance!
Pelicanbrigade is offline Find More Posts by Pelicanbrigade
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 04:48 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelicanbrigade View Post
Just bought a Phoenix Edge Lite 50A to replace the burned up stock ESC on my Blade 450X. I think I understand everything, but what do I use for PWM and motor timing settings? The stock motor is the E-flite 440H and it's a 6 pole motor, 4200Kv, 136T aftermarket Lynx main gear and 9T (or maybe 10T in the future) pinion. I've searched and cannot find the other specs. 3S 2200mAh 35C batteries. Thanks in advance!

A PWM of 12 KHz should be good. PWM of 8 may make the ESC run a little cooler. Either one should be ok for the motor. If you use the governor mode I have found that PWM of 12 is sometimes smoother so start with 12 but it won’t hurt anything to try both and see what you like best.

The EDGE has dynamic motor timing. It adjusts timing as it is running. For the best efficiency and longest flight time use LOW timing. Medium is less efficient and sometimes makes a little more power but the motor will run hotter and the flight times will be a little shorter.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
Thanks for the help, RC Man! Between servos dying in flight and this latest ESC burning up, the last thing I want to do is smoke something else.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:04 AM
KS
Joined May 2007
11 Posts
Hi RC Man,
Curious where you got the "Dynamic Timing" from??
SteveCC is offline Find More Posts by SteveCC
Old Jun 14, 2013, 02:41 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCC View Post
Hi RC Man,
Curious where you got the "Dynamic Timing" from??
Not sure if thatís the exact term that CC uses but it was discussed some time back on this forum. They have had this feature for quite a few years. Maybe someone from CC could give a more exact description.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 14, 2013, 06:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Not sure if that’s the exact term that CC uses but it was discussed some time back on this forum. They have had this feature for quite a few years. Maybe someone from CC could give a more exact description.

If you run the actual CC set-up program and click on the help tab under motor timing, that is exactly what it says about the ESC and automatically setting the timing.

"Castle Creations controllers automatically determine the correct and best range of timing advance for any motor they are plugged into when running in sensorless mode."
Old Jun 16, 2013, 12:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
I want to thank the guys who helped me in this thread. Just flew the Phoenix Edge Lite 50 this morning. Heli flew better than ever and the setup was so easy. Just put in your motor/battery/gearing parameters and chuck in some head speeds (well, ones that are deemed okay for governing by the CC program) and go fly! I only needed some minor tweaking. I ended up with the governor gain lower than the low default setting. 10 versus 15. I had some minor motor pulsing and, while the heli was smooth, I could hear it. I guess the governor gain needed to be so low because 450 blades are so light and really responsive to motor RPM changes, unlike larger, heavier blades that take longer to overshoot/undershoot the selected RPM in flight. I also ran low for the motor timing and changed the overcurrent protection to "insensitive", as recommended for helis.

So, overall a great first time out experience with this ESC. Thanks again! Now, just praying for durability and many, many flights without smoking like the last junk (definitely not Castle) ESC. LOL
Old Jun 16, 2013, 02:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
225 Posts
Edited: Posted a question, but I figured it out myself.
Last edited by Pelicanbrigade; Jun 16, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined May 2013
4 Posts
Hi guys. got a little problem with my ICE50 on a T REX450. I'm using the DX7s Tx.
I got the heli from its last owner, so its all built up, and the ESC is set as set RPM governor mode, only thing I need to do is to calibrate the end points my self, said the last owner.
so I did, as the tutorial, 0-100 linear throttle curve, 30% both high and low, plug in, increase travel till the beep comes up, same with the low range. I ended up as 74 high, and 60 low. then the ESC is armed, motor runs if i gave throttle up.
just a little unconfident with the 74 and 60 number, seems a bit low though, have read some guys in other thread said it looks like in airplane mode not heli, but I don't even have a castle link, not to mention change setting in software. the last owner said as long as its not reset in the computer nothing should have changed.
is that a accept result about the end point?
enzozhan is offline Find More Posts by enzozhan
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:55 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,534 Posts
Does not seem right. On my DX8 (same programming like on the DX7s) my lower limit is 123%, the upper is 102%. Even if there is some variance caused by different RXs (I use an AR8000), that should only be around 2-3%. So you did something wrong.

I have Set RPM mode active. 3 different RPMs defined in CC link. You should really get a castle link device....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem