SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:05 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,224 Posts
Well, the forward cockpit hatch efforts were a bust this go around. Not sure it's worth the effort to make a hatch, trying to get the form shape correct is rather difficult due to the compound nature of the curves. So it's either close it in with the supplied cover or leave it as is with forward cockpit open. Decisions, decisions.....
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,224 Posts
The radio gear is now installed, and everything checks out ok. Power for the Rx is via either one or two 1500 mah 2 cell packs. Initially I was just going with a single but thought it might be a wise idea to make provisions for two packs in parallel if the power requirements are needed. The Rx is fed from a 10 amp Castle Creations regulator set for 6 volts. For effect I installed the Rx on off switch on the cockpit instrument panel. Been looking at also installing a digital volt meter from HK when I get around to ordering one. Will install it in the rear cockpit so I can keep an eye on the Rx pack without having to remove the wing every time.

Now its on to installing the fairings and other trim detail from the kit. The wing fillets are causing a bit of grief and not lining up with the wings trailing edge. I have had to grind away some glass to get it to fit, the fillet line above the wing looks good, but the underside trailing edge not so much. There is a bit of gap I need to figure out how to fill, its minor but still noticeable.
Old Yesterday, 10:43 PM
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Hi Rem!

Sorry I haven't checked in for awhile. Been exceptionally busy with non-RC stuff lately.

Hey, the work you've been doing on the Waco is beautiful! Wish I had the patience to do that kind of work.

The molded trim pieces fit exactly the same way you said on mine also.

I think mine only flew, maybe, three flights last season. My wife & I may be moving into a larger house this spring, so will finally have some building / repairing room! And boy, can I put the repair bench to work! v

Looking forward to the end of this winter! You should be just about ready for the maiden by then. I know you'll enjoy it. With that Power 110 you'll only be using half throttle for 99.9% of the flight!

As for DeLaReef123's P6E Hawk, it is nearly identical in every way to the Waco, size, weight, and flying characteristics. I have the Power 110 in my Hawk, running on 8 cells, 5000mah 20C Blue Lipos, swinging an 18x10x3 3 blade prop by Mezjlek (sp), which works fantastic, doing pretty much full flight at 1/2 throttle or less. Barely any extra throttle is necessary for big loops and general aerobatics. The ONLY use of full throttle is on pure non-scale sustained vertical climbs, which it will do nearly forever. Your Waco will be the same.

BTW, my battery hatch on the Waco is ahead of the front cockpit. In fact, it is right behind the rear edge of the cowling, in the front of the fuel tank compartment. My batteries mount vertically, right on the point to put the CG where it is called for, which, if I may say, seems to be just a little to far forward. Mine will not spin, period. And I really have to work at it to get it to tip stall / high speed stall in a high angle / very tight loop. It also lands a little fast, which also denotes a forward CG. It is very hard to get a good three point, just because it doesn't slow down enough before reaching the proper attitude. It instead bounces very badly. It does a very good wheel landing, tho'. The Hawk does a very nice three point.

Looking forward to hearing about your maiden, and seeing the pics. Enjoy.
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Today, 08:55 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,224 Posts
Don, good to hear from you. And thanks for the encouragement. I think maiden will be a ways off yet. This winter has been a brutal one, sustained sub zero F temps and lots of snow. My Beaver has been getting a workout when the winds permit so at least I'm keeping sharp flying wise. Won't be long till the WACO is finished.

My early indications for C of G with the packs I have suggest a neutral balance with packs located where I put them. But, that was without the extra weight of the battery carrier installed. The foam WACO when set to its recommended C of G is way too nose heavy, doing everything you stated. I ended up moving it back a fair bit outside of the envelope and Whoa!, its an entirely different airplane now. Makes me wonder if the manufacturers do that deliberately to minimize people starting out with a potentially tail heavy model?