SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:06 PM
United States, NY, Lewiston
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
Discussion
Best two-meter ships nowadays

I'm thinking of going to the Nats this year...I went about 30 years ago and placed 7th in two-meter, flying what is best described as a modified Prophet. What have people been competing with lately? I don't have any fellow sailplane flyers around here!
theghosttanker is offline Find More Posts by theghosttanker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2014, 01:52 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
667 Posts
I think the Kennedy Composites Sprite has been a recent winner of 2-meter class at the Nats. I would think the Allegro Lite would be in the best list also.
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Feb 10, 2014, 02:43 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,290 Posts
If you can find one an Osprey 2M can still reck havoc in two meter.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
A further question....what kind of winches are they using in 2-meter class?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,682 Posts
I recently acquired a built-up 2-meter RES sailplane, called the Pures. It's from what I call a "boutique" supplier in Germany. Flying weight is an incredible 17+ ounces, but it can put its nose down a zip right along. See the picture.

Some assembly required.

I also have plans from Carstens for a 2-meter RE ship called the Free Spirit. All wood, it can be built to 20 ounces without much fuss. I have built no less than five, and find it to be very capable. Without a spoiler, though, landings require planning and skill, you betcha!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 10, 2014, 04:52 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,290 Posts
Same winch as the rest of the NATs.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Feb 10, 2014, 05:18 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
667 Posts
Speaking of V-tails; there's the Chrysalis.

Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:43 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,839 Posts
2 meter, like unlimited, is off powerful winches that can snap wings.

The Kennedy Composites Sprite can take the full pedal launch and the big zoom to get the big height and do it at a light weight. Basically this is a scaled down Supra.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/sprite.htm

When I attended the NATs two years ago I did not fly 2M but I watched the event. I would guess about half the pilots were flying the Sprite.

I seem to recall a 2M first place was taken a few years ago by the Organic.
http://www.kennedycomposites.com/organic.htm

I don't know the source but I have heard that the DUCK was the plane to beat for many years.

Pulsar and the Alto might be worth a look
http://www.soaringusa.com/Pulsar-Pro-2m.html
http://www.soaringusa.com/Alto-2M.html

If you like RES and like to build your own the Allegro and the Allegro Lite might be worth consideration
Or the Aegea if you want a full house 2M you can build yourself.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles.htm
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:08 AM
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
I was at Nats to watch 2m last summer.
It was about half Sprites, some with winglets, about half Ducks, and maybe one built up entry.
It was won by Mike Fox flying a home built plane, but from my RCSD reading, I think he has commercial building experience.

-Chris Braman
monious is offline Find More Posts by monious
Last edited by monious; Feb 11, 2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monious View Post
I was at Nats to watch 2m last summer.
It was about half Sprites, some with winglets, about half Ducks, and maybe one built up entry.
It was won by Mike Fox flying a home built plane, but from my RCSD reading, I think he has commercial building experience.

-Chris Braman
Interesting similarities to the Sprite. I like it!
Old Feb 11, 2014, 06:09 PM
United States, HI, Pearl City
Joined Aug 2006
323 Posts
+1 for the Organic 2M. Can be built to around 32 ounces and adding another servo for the flaps made a big improvement in the handling. It can also take a full pedal launch and a good zoom at top. One came in 2nd at last years South West Classic.

I'd also consider how many spare parts there are out there and how easy it is to repair. Organic parts can be hard to find and I'm not too sure about the Sprite. The Alto looks nice but it might be a bit too light for when the wind picks up. I don't know if you could add ballast or not. Might be a real tight fit.

Although I still think the best 2 meter is the one you built yourself :>)

Scotty
wsmorton is offline Find More Posts by wsmorton
Last edited by wsmorton; Feb 11, 2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:23 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,942 Posts
It has taken me a while to learn it's true characteristics, but I like my Duet. I think it's a fine model for a crunchy... Check out Isthmus Models for this one.
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Feb 11, 2014, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
323 Posts
I think an Allegro light wing on a pod/boom/v-mount from that Czech company (forget their name, they advertise here) might be what I'll go with. What do y'all think about an Allegro wing with ailerons and flaps?
Old Feb 12, 2014, 07:19 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,172 Posts
CLM-Pro, Croatian, not Czech.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:45 PM
United States, VA, Norfolk
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
I recently acquired a built-up 2-meter RES sailplane, called the Pures. It's from what I call a "boutique" supplier in Germany. Flying weight is an incredible 17+ ounces, but it can put its nose down a zip right along. See the picture.

Some assembly required.

I also have plans from Carstens for a 2-meter RE ship called the Free Spirit. All wood, it can be built to 20 ounces without much fuss. I have built no less than five, and find it to be very capable. Without a spoiler, though, landings require planning and skill, you betcha!

Yours, Greg
Greg, I am curious about the two gliders you mentioned. Do you have any pics of your free spirit...and what airfoil does it use? How did you get your hands on a PuRES? That is a very interesting kit. I looked it up, but I could not find any info on the price or shipping to the states. thanks

Randy
burke757 is online now Find More Posts by burke757