SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2015, 07:16 PM
is always breaking stuff :D
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Dec 2014
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi_craig View Post
Personally I had really good service life out of the F45 mains. Cleaning the motor can to get rid of built up carbon dust is a good idea. As is wet run in to bed the brushes initially.
That's good to hear on the F45 main. I put one in this time around, and just like you said I got about 8% overall improvement. I'm using less throttle to do everything.

"Wet run in" - you just gave me an idea. Radio Shack not only sells a contact cleaner, they also sell a contact cleaner that lubricates what it cleans. The lubricant doesn't interfere with electricity, either - this stuff is meant to clean and lube dirty old pots in radios and such to eliminate static when you turn the knob. I wonder if it would be any good for these motors...
Crash Override is offline Find More Posts by Crash Override
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2015, 08:42 PM
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post

Vincent:
I'm getting 30 flights or less out of the stock motors. I've had the bird 6 weeks, and put in three motors about two weeks apart each time. I'm usually doing two flights a day as I learn this bird, but I don't fly every single day. Therefore, I'm at about 30 flights/motor - or less. Since I just put in an F45 main motor, I'm waiting to see how long before it fails. And WL Toys has shown that brushless motors aren't that much more than brushed by way of the prices they're charging for brushless vs. brushed birds , so the price argument doesn't fly very well. In fact, the pricing lends itself to thinking of these as toys instead of models. I have a $20 USD pair of RC bumper cars I got at Walgreens that are now two years old and still running. Do you think they have brushless motors in them at that price? If Walgreens can do it, why can't WLT?

I get the whole tinker/repair thing. I enjoy doing the tinkering as much as the flying. That said, the externally brushed motors I ordered are 5mm longer than stock even though they will screw right into the mount. It's looking like a tight fit under the heat shield/frame reinforcement up top. Is there anything I would need to mod to get an ext. brush motor to fit?

In retrospect, I think that Syma did both a good and bad thing with its S107. It brought RC flight to the masses at a truly affordable level and introduced them to the hobby (good), but in the process the masses began to view these birds as toys, not operational models (bad). In light of that, a $70 toy that's dead after a month does not get repaired or replaced by the toy owner. It gets abandoned. That's straight from my SO, not me. She just wants to be able to fly, so to her these are toys that should last longer than a month - and she said flat out that she would just chuck it and never buy another if it died after only a month.

Don't misunderstand - she knows I tinker with and fix them. She watches me do this all the time, and has made it clear I'm the mechanic when it comes to our birds. (Mech doesn't make a lot of sense to her.)
BG is selling a stock v912 rtf for $61 while their brushless rtf is $90, that's almost $30 difference in price. That's 33% increase in price. For a lot of beginners, they would opt for the less expensive heli.
I've used the F45 brushed motor and while it does have more grunt, the flight count was roughly the same as the stock v912 for me. Then I installed the super 370 motor, it was stronger than the stock using an 8t pinion with a more powerful lipo, at least 40C. I do a dry break in with all brushed motors initially running it for about 15min at the lowest speed possible without any load. This allows the brushes to settle with the armature and prevent premature burn out. After the break in, I spay the motor down with electrical cleaner.
http://www.autozone.com/miscellaneou...er/222534_0_0/

I've had countless flights with the super 370 motor and now decided to go brushless because I fly very aggressive and wanted more power.
The tail motor I'm using is the FX059 with the whole tail assembly, it has a bigger tail gear which puts less stress on the motor and it's a direct fit. Also comes with an led which is a plus.
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-FX...3-p-47707.html
I make a habit of mostly making left turns to reduce stress on the motor and I can't remember the last time I had to replace the tail motor. Still going strong.
If you like your v912 and tired of replacing motors, I highly recommend going brushless main motor. The same set up I did a few pages back. As Craig mention, just appreciate the v912 for what it is, a beginner flybar heli. Once you're ready to upgrade, consider the FX's flybarless series. They are not that much harder to fly than the v912 but has much more agility.
vincent713 is offline Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Mar 02, 2015, 03:51 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,990 Posts
I seem to have struck lucky in the motor lottery, having had 53 flights on mine out of the box, and still going strong. I have though resisted the urge to fit higher capacity batteries (makes the motor work harder for longer) and do try not to fly the battery to exhaustion (as well as being bad for the battery, as the voltage drops off, the current has to go up to maintain the power and it's current that cooks the motor). The heli also always has at least 20-30mins cooling off time between flights but apart from that, it's had no special treatment in terms of break-in, lubrication heat sinking etc.

I agree though, that we ought to be seeing brushless motors as the norm by now. The motors themselves can't account for that 30% price difference - I suspect that the extra complexity of the controller might be a significant contributor.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Mar 02, 2015, 08:00 AM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh View Post
, , , The motors themselves can't account for that 30% price difference - I suspect that the extra complexity of the controller might be a significant contributor.
You also have to add in a BL ESC in addition to the BL Motor.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:09 AM
Suspended Account
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
835 Posts
Hi Guys

For those who do not like to add resistance and have several LEDs to drive. I found at another thread that he was selling a 3.3v volt regulator.
So I'm sure for some of you this might be a good alternative. See the end of Section # 11 for more information ( for regulator and connectors )

Or

Click here to buy it regulator
+
And click here to buy connectors
+
OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by OrangeBird; Mar 02, 2015 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:29 AM
Joined Dec 2014
192 Posts
You make my point for me, Vincent. A beginner would choose the less expensive bird - and be upset when it dies after a month. And then toss it in the trash. And never buy another WL product again because of a bad first experience.

WL Toys needs to put a higher quality brushed motor in for that very reason. The motor needs to survive long enough to make it worthwhile for a beginner. A month just isn't long enough.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2013
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
WL Toys needs to put a higher quality brushed motor in for that very reason. The motor needs to survive long enough to make it worthwhile for a beginner. A month just isn't long enough.
Of course we all want a better motor but my point was from a "business perspective".
Wltoys did listen to the customers though, hence the brushless main. Wonder if they will come out with a brushless tail motor like they did with the v913....
Old Mar 02, 2015, 02:37 PM
Joined Dec 2014
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
Of course we all want a better motor but my point was from a "business perspective".
Wltoys did listen to the customers though, hence the brushless main. Wonder if they will come out with a brushless tail motor like they did with the v913....
And give up the lucrative replacement parts gravy train they have in the 912?
Old Mar 02, 2015, 10:30 PM
Suspended Account
Canada, QC, Chicoutimi
Joined Aug 2012
835 Posts
Hi Guys

Sale end 03/08/2015 ( just click on photo and buy it ) OFF 40%

Remote Control Helicopter Spare parts Battery Monitor Alarm 1S-8S....SKU014552

OrangeBird is offline Find More Posts by OrangeBird
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
Joined Feb 2013
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
Shouldn't you be able to use the v913 brushless tail on the v912 since the pcb's are the same?
dbranch2480 is online now Find More Posts by dbranch2480
Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM
Joined Aug 2013
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranch2480 View Post
Shouldn't you be able to use the v913 brushless tail on the v912 since the pcb's are the same?
The brushless tail mount won't fit as the v912's tail boom is 8mm and v913 is 10mm however you could fab a bracket to make it work. 2nd issue is the v913 brushless tail motor might be too big for the v912, I haven't check the specs on it.