HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:54 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,934 Posts
Neat!

Your skills are real, FP2; the finish on the Cutlass looks excellent. Good to know that the foam doesn't blow up under the application - I don't have much experience trying to do this (yet), but the times I have tried it with EconoKote came out looking much like a plane-shaped golf ball.

At those times, the Bacardi helped much.

Get someone to do a vid on your Cutlass maiden. And VERY best of luck with it!
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:14 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,734 Posts
Pike,
looks like your having a gain in vigor being a "retiree" and it shows up here!
Keep us post on whatever you'll find to spruce up your bipe.
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Feb 21, 2015, 12:42 PM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,934 Posts
Hiya, RodAir!

Long time no talk! I did see (today!) your post above, looking for those upper wing screws - and hope you found some. If not, maybe some long servo screws would do it as they're about the same size and thread.

And yes, my friend; the fact that every day now is a Saturday tremendously colors my outlook on things .

Never did go to 2 ail servos on the old sttiP - just had too many other things going on. I did hope that mod would kill the aileron flutter, which was horrendous with the 4s setup. I will be back up north in a couple months and may just do it then, as the old girl could use some new warpaint and Beanz' work looks too good to let pass by! In the meantime, I am really looking forward to tomorrow and maidening Lil' sttiP #2.
PikeStaff is offline Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
181 Posts
Thanks guys.

Personally I don't think the added weight would be more than an ounce or two as this stuff is extremely thin and lightweight.

What I also should have mentioned is that it only took a total of 4 rolls of Contact to do this job- and there's still loads left for another plane. At less than $2 (au) a roll it was far cheaper than paint.

It's a great idea about going over the covering with a warm iron. I'll do as suggested and try on a scrap piece later on.

I also used this same covering for my FT Spit about two years ago and although there are a few areas where the covering has come free a bit, it's been in the middle of the covering rather than at a problem area like the leading edge or something. Just by smoothing your hand over the area that's come loose, it simply sticks back down again. This is with a lot of flights plus the Spit sitting around for a couple of hours in 30 plus degrees C of Queensland summers while I flew other planes so I'm happy with it.

What I feel, made a so-so job look even better was the application of a thin band of Contact in a different colour. This just required me to grab a ruler and cut a strip about 3 to 4mm wide that I would then lay on top of a join of two other colours. I'm not sure if you can see that in the pics but once I'd done it, the covering job looked a lot more professional.

I also used clear parcel tape on the leading edge of the Pitts to ensure the covering never comes loose in flight. Plus I did the same around the curves of the wing tip areas. Although from up close it's possible to spot the parcel tape but from a distance of a metre or two, it just blends in.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Last edited by Beanz; Feb 22, 2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 03:04 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Joined May 2012
2,601 Posts
Beanz.....that covering is amazing....you nailed the Pitts logo and I really like the wave on the fuselage and tail section......WOW!!!

Stunning to me

TwisteGrin
TwistedGrin is online now Find More Posts by TwistedGrin