HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:48 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Control Rigging

This weeks update:

Finished the inverted V-tail apex joint. Covered the fixed portion of the tail in Esake Silk and the rudder-vators in Japanese Tissue. Water based polyurethane was use as the binder.

The control surfaces are now attached to the booms and the joints have been reinforced with fiber-glass cloth. Holes for the control horns and exits for the pull wires can be seen in photo 2.

The guide tubes for the pull-pull system are finished and the servo tray is ready to install. (Photos attached).

OOPS... almost forgot. Latest weigh in results. (Now include hardware for aileron servos).

Airframe - 170.9 grams
Servos - 31.2 grams
Rx - 7.4 grams
Battery - 15.6 grams

Regards,

DJ Miller
straitup is offline Find More Posts by straitup
Last edited by straitup; Apr 08, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: added photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Control Horns

Getting down to the wire...

Control horns cut and installed. This is where "Negative Ackerman" gets built in to the system. If I have these angles wrong the pull wires will bind. I used a water based white primer on the graphite sheet to make it easy to see my layout lines. I find this works better than stick on paper templates.

Note the photo of my protective gear. It is absolutely essential when working with graphite. Cutting and sanding that stuff is nasty... really nasty.

Next update: Running the cables - testing the control system.

Regards,

DJ
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
Baltimore
Joined Mar 2006
105 Posts
Why you don't use spring hinge or kable with servos mounted in the wing?
I see too tide turns for pul-pul.
muto is offline Find More Posts by muto
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muto View Post
Why you don't use spring hinge or kable with servos mounted in the wing?
Muto,

Good questions! I did considered that early on but decided against it for the following reasons:

Mounting the rudder-vator servos in the wing is structurally difficult. The cut outs for the sevos conflict with the cut outs for the carbon booms. Doing it that way creates a huge stress riser where the booms attach. It also would have ment adding additional ballast to the nose to get the C.G. to work out. Much more weight in fact than the pull/pull system adds.

I rejected spring hinges simply because I don't trust them on a rocket (for a variety of reasons I won't go into here). So we'll call this design choice, personal preference.

As for the bend radius on the pull wire guide tubing... I know it looks tight, but the 20lb test, braided stainless leader wire can handle it. I did several bench mock-ups to be sure. I wasn't about to cut into that beautiful Art Hobby wing without being certain it would work (and it does, finished it last night - tested good). More photos comming soon...

Regards,

DJ Miller
Old Apr 18, 2011, 04:32 AM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Pull/Pull control system

Installed and tested.

Seems to work just fine on the ground. The ultimate test will, of course, be during flight. Overall, I am happy with the way it turned out but still have a lot of "cleaning up" to do. Photos below show progress to date, enjoy.

Regards,

straitup
Last edited by straitup; Apr 19, 2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: edited photos - added text
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:08 PM
St Catharines Canada
Joined May 2002
862 Posts
DJ

I see that the wires are adjusted and locked by the center screw of the servos but what secures them at the horn end?

Richard
The Tellurian is offline Find More Posts by The Tellurian
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tellurian View Post
... what secures them at the horn end?
A triple overhand knot tied in the wire. Yes, it's that flexible. When pulled really tight you wind up with a little bead about twice the diameter of the hole in the control horn. I'll upload a photo of it later tonight.

DJ
Old Apr 19, 2011, 01:04 AM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Weigh in

New photos added to post #35 and...

Drum roll please, todays weigh in results include all the R/c gear except the aileron push rods and hinges.

Total: Total 241.82 gm (8.53 oz)

Regards,

DJ
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:26 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Sep 2005
130 Posts
Tell us about your flights!
clipper is online now Find More Posts by clipper
Old Aug 15, 2011, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
ON HOLD... again

clipper,

Sorry, no flights to report. I am in the process of changing jobs and moving (Houston to Atlanta). Even if it were ready to fly, there has been a burn ban in effect here since May. So... to make a long story short. Don't look for any updates until October or November (after I get settled in Atlanta).

I guess that will make this the longest build log in Rc Groups history. LOL. Not at all what I had in mind when I started it.

Regards,

straitup
Old Dec 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
USA, NC, Greenville
Joined Dec 1999
9,271 Posts
So did you ever get back to it after settling down in Atlanta ?

Kevin
Kevin Murray is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Murray
Old Dec 02, 2013, 04:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
99 Posts
Kevin,

Short answer... no. Someday, when it is finished and successfully flown I will start a new new thread. But for the moment, it's still on hold.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards,

straitup