HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2005, 06:56 PM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
Discussion
Chris Golds Comet 4 build

hi folks
i have been slowly plodding a long building a De Havilland comet 4 by Chris Golds.
which i have a love affair with after first seeing it at a talk Chris done for elmbridge model club back in 2002.
I can not build this i thought and kept coming up with excuses why not.
To complicated,to bigger project,i do not fly off concrete, and so on then i saw it fly at woodsprings the following year it looked brilliant then my son was born which i thourght would finally get this plane out of my system.
WRONG THIS PLANE HAS PLEASE BUILD ME so armed with a bundle of wood and my modeling knife of we went.
It has been a pleasure and i have learnt a lot of new ways of building and to my supprise a lot easier to build than i first thought.
When i finally finish it will be in B.O.A.C colours G-APDA the first comet 4 to be built Chris Golds talked me in to it at woodsprings it originaly was going to be DAN AIR.
here are some pics of Chrisis comet all the best acrowot
acrowot is offline Find More Posts by acrowot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2005, 07:26 PM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
hi guys
here are some pics of the parts for the fuz and the plugs for the moulded balsa skins for the nose

see you soon acrowot
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:27 AM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
hi
here are some pictures of the fuz with the keel and bulkheads and all the bracing amazing how strong the it became once it was all done.
It took longer to do the bracing than any thing else just to remove it after the skin is in place.
all the best acrowot
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:34 AM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
here are some more pictures the two sides pinned to geather to see how well they matched which was spot on

see you soon acrowot
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:35 AM
Or am I...
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK
Joined Jan 2005
2,460 Posts
WOW beutiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im-sad is offline Find More Posts by im-sad
Old Nov 09, 2005, 10:50 AM
The Netherlands, DR, Emmen
Joined Aug 2002
1,086 Posts
Nice VERY NICE

You will have fun with this build that's for sure........

Appie
Appie is offline Find More Posts by Appie
Old Nov 09, 2005, 01:31 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Oct 2002
299 Posts
Wow! that's a beauty! Your build is moving along nicely too.

I've been looking for Comet drawings after seeing the big one in RC Jets last year, and was hoping to do one about this size. Are plans and/or parts available?
RickG is offline Find More Posts by RickG
Old Nov 09, 2005, 06:32 PM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
the comet i am building was desghned by chris in 2002 you can get the plan from flying scale models web site is www.flyingscalemodels.com
you can also get a plan of his nimrod which was converted from the comet just like the full size here are some pics of the nimrod

thanks for the interest all the best acrowot (geof)
Old Nov 09, 2005, 07:54 PM
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Wow! a Nimrod.

I havent seen one of those since I was stationed at RAF Alconbury. Very nice model.

Ray
RSteel is offline Find More Posts by RSteel
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:38 AM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
hi
i have just sorted some more photos out . The most interesting part was the balsa moulded skins for the nose and tail.
first a plug is made with blue foam i put all the bulk heads in place to help with the shaping.
Then you need to butt join 3/32 sheet together with cyno then soak the sheeting in boilling hot water and 10% household ammonia PLEASE DO THIS OUT SIDE AND STAND UP WIND for 20 minutes then rubber band from the widest point as tightly as possible over the plugs pushing the balsa onto the plug when the balsa rucks up make a cut then over lap it and keep banding till you reach the end i then porred warm water all over then put in the airing cupboard over night.
when dry slowly unband cutting the over laps and remove the waste triangles to make a tight fit and glue with cyno keep doing till all the over laps are done sand to shape and remove from the plug then you have a lovley moulded shell .
here are some pics of the balsa wraped around the plug and the over laps. The hole process is quite easy.
all the best acrowot
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:42 AM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
here is how i stopped all the band coming of the nose with a peace of wood across the nose. acrowot
Old Nov 10, 2005, 10:47 AM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
here is the end result the plug and moulded shell of the tail section

see you soon acrowot
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:04 PM
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Oct 2002
299 Posts
Thanks for the link. I'll need to place an order ...and follow your progress.

I'm particularly interested in the wing center section. There are some changes to the nacelle outline at the back to accomodate the props. I'm wondering if this could be modified for EDF, with the nozzles returned to the scale locations. Do you know what the AUW for the finished model is?

Interesting sheeting technique (...for those of us that hate to strip plank). Results look great.
RickG is offline Find More Posts by RickG
Old Nov 10, 2005, 04:58 PM
surrey england
Joined Jul 2003
226 Posts
hi RickG
you may still be able to get the original plan reveiw as well as the plan which was in January 2003 issue.
In the original write up Chris did say that if he was going to do DF or EDF he would be struggling with the size of the ducts and the available power.
i have just looked at the plan and at the inner duct at the main spar is only about 60mm in depth.
i do feel that the engine nacels could look a little better instead of looking like two seprate tubes.
The all up weight with 10 sub c cells came around about 7 half pound with about 320 watts with speed 400 motors for me this is not anough as it will be flying from very short grass so i will be putting in 4 mega motors as they are a lot more affordable now with speed controlls and 3s3p x2 tp lipos a lot more power with very little weight gain.
It may seem over the top but i feel it is well worth it for a rarely modelled aircraft.
i have taken about 60 pics as i have built it so i am trying to sort them out and post them so if you have any questions or want to see a more detailed picture i may be able to help.
I am now nearly ready to start the wing so i will post the rest of the pics in the next couple of days

it,s nice to here from you acrowot
Old Nov 10, 2005, 06:24 PM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,122 Posts
Wow!

Nice to se somone building the Comet fom Chris Golds plan. I must admit I have a lot of admiration for that man!

Your build is also looking very good. I read the construction artice and the balsa skin forming is a very interesting method - thoug time consuming! Keep the pix coming - the more the better

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E