HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2004, 06:48 AM
Lino Lakes, MN, USA
Joined Dec 2000
148 Posts
Kyosho Valencia 1800

I picked up a use Kyosho Valencia last night (the price was right). It has a Kyosho Lemans 240E motor with gearbox in it. The gearbox is shot. The plans call to use a 6 cell 1200mah pack. Since that was 1986 I'm thinking there are a lot better power systems and batteries out there today. Without battery, esc or servos it weights a whopping 33.5oz. Does anyone know anything about this plane and alternatives on what to fly it with?

Thanks
GHarvey is offline Find More Posts by GHarvey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2007, 04:38 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
I have one on these new in box from 1986. I plan to get it up and running and am going to order new transmitter and receiver futaba batteries. I would love to know what you learn about possible battery alternatives. Thanks Karl Glastad
kglastad is offline Find More Posts by kglastad
Old Feb 07, 2007, 08:00 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,934 Posts
valencia

hey there

I flew one of these back in the 80's when it came out . . . . . . . . ooh!

This was one of the first sucessful electric arfs from kyosho and it was weak from the start.

Thank God for new battery tech and motor technology to reduce the wingloading because the original could damage your house if you ran into it!

I would look toward a geared 400 motor or a direct drive graupner 600 8.4 if you want to go on the cheap.....

to set it up right I would suggest going with an outrunner style motor going for a little smaller prop and higher rpm to get the prop speed up. The wings are thin so dont think it is going to fly like a windstar or a accent . . .it needs speed to keep it in the air. The only area of the plane itself that left something to be desired was in the elevator hookup. Kyosho used a direct rod through a tube to an increadibly small control horn that always got stuck if you applied full up elevator doing basic aerobatics. I would use a different control horn and drop the exit hole for the control rod farther down to allow for more latitude and a longer horn - like a dubro 1/2A horn or something similar...

The wheels are too small for anything other than hard paved surface landings and chuch the wheel pants, they come off on the first landing anyway!

If I was setting mine up I would start with a good 3 cell lipo pack (2100 mah 15C) a castle 25A brushless speed controller and an AXI 2217/20 with a 10X5 prop. This would provide enough weight up front to balance the model without the need for lead as well as provide more than enough power and climb authority to make the plane fun to fly.

There are lower price alternatives to this set up but this is how I would set mine up if I were putting it in the air again.

The stock set up was a pig . . . . the plane was horibly underpowered (as were all electrics back in those days) and was squirily if flown slow....

Hope this helped . .

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Feb 07, 2007, 11:04 PM
Joined Feb 2007
2 Posts
thank you for the specifics in the reply, I will give it a try.
kglastad is offline Find More Posts by kglastad
Old Nov 25, 2013, 06:10 PM
Mechanical Engineer
Joined Nov 2013
1 Posts
Im fixing my dad's old valencia

This thing is older than I am. I just finished washing more than 25 years of dust of the wings and body. Working out some power issues with the remote before I go to the hobby store to find parts.
surrizzle is offline Find More Posts by surrizzle
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Oct 2006
61 Posts
I pulled mine out of the attic about a year ago, dusted it off and replaced the all original setup with a brushless motor, along with all new electronics. Never had any luck getting it airborne with the old Kyosho LeMans motor, but has flown nicely with the new gear. Weight savings alone was hugh with the new motor and lipo battery.
PBnJ is offline Find More Posts by PBnJ
Old Jan 30, 2014, 03:56 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Kyosho 1800 Valencia 26 Years Old Flies Again-Beautiful

Used Himax 3510/1100 motor, Hyperion 3s 2500 with lead in motor mount. Plenty of power, relatively fast, penetrates well, no ailerons. Fly carefully, not for beginner. A special rare sight in the air for sure! Jerrysailfar January 2014
Jerrysailfar is offline Find More Posts by Jerrysailfar
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:53 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Kyosho Valencia Motorglider Video

Flies Fine Looks Great in the Air. Wing Dyhedral keeps it very steady.
You Tube video Link:
KYOSHO MOTOR GLIDER 1988 (4 min 2 sec)
Old Apr 04, 2014, 02:26 PM
Joined Oct 2006
61 Posts
Nice job on the video, I enjoyed watching it. I've attached a couple of photos, one being how I was able to move my battery more forward so no extra weight was needed for the correct CG.
PBnJ is offline Find More Posts by PBnJ
Old Apr 05, 2014, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
It being how I was able to move my battery more forward so no extra weight was needed for the correct CG.
boteshudehua is offline Find More Posts by boteshudehua
Old Apr 11, 2014, 05:53 AM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
PBnJ Battery Relocation

Yes, nice relocation. Jerrysailfar