HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:38 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,118 Posts
Very nice flying Tom the single function head and the elevator on the tail works fine.
Way to go Mate!

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
Pretty well convinced now Bill as I maidened No4 today and it was so easy . Also did more flying with the Auto-G fitted with a delta plate , spot on flew like a dream .
Tom.
Tom Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tom Wright
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:52 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
A pdf build guide for the SFH (single function head and elevator for pitch ) of the Crane Fly Trainer Auto is posted on the first page of this thread.

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar 11, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
Note the tail and fin can be made from 6mm depron or 3/32"- 1/8" balsa .

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Mar 11, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Useful document Tom. If wasn't for the time such documents take to collate, they are worth having for every project (except for the poor guy doing the collating). The Blue Wonder motor mount looks very handy.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
L G Yes these things take some time ,but at least manageable due to the great help received from Malcolm , who is a wiz with IT
It's a shame the modeling world is so predominated by "Buy and Fly" as building from plans ,kits ,or,pdf docs looks to be in decline, which is like saying good by to aeromodelling as we knew it. But of course the modern way has created a huge expansion in the numbers now taking up the hobby so I suppose it's progress ? Thanks for posting ,and I hope your auto gyro flying is going well.
Regards Tom.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:12 AM
United Kingdom, Leicester
Joined Mar 2011
18 Posts
Hi Tom

Great PDF on the build up and info on were to get the parts for it , looks like you have been busy so can we call this the MK4.

As a matter of interest do you still have the other MK's to compeer the MK4 with..............?

Alan
Time Warp is offline Find More Posts by Time Warp
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 AM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
Hi Alan
Thanks for the comments , not sure what to call this one as some must be confused about what a Crane Fly is lol, The original thread over on MF is realy a meandering account of first experiences ,development, and lots of general chat . As the new PDF face page identifies the new model as the Crane Fly SFH ( single function head ) I suppose that will do ,but it can be edited if some one comes up with a realy good alternative.
I do have all the variants ,thirteen in all , and they all fly well depending what sort of auto gyro hat is worn by the pilot making comment. Some fly "fluffy" and slow, which can be an advantage for slower reacting first timers , some fly just like the Auto- G , others have a wide speed range that need it bit more concentration, but as I have insisted on pursuing utter simplicity none are good looking ,which could easily be put right by most builders after gaining their auto gyro wings.
I think the SFH as described in the pdf is the easiest yet to build ,and get to fly first time, but it would only be fair to let other builders decide that.

Tom.
Last edited by Tom Wright; Jan 12, 2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:52 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,860 Posts
Why don't you have a rudder function. Is it of little use?
Al M is online now Find More Posts by Al M
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
Hi A IM
A very good question ...... and my answer is that many pilots fly models well ,but do not use regular rudder coordination , the rudder adds a fourth dimension for newbies to think about and can distract from the basic control inputs needed to keep the model aloft during first attempts.

However when autogyro wings have been gained, adding a rudder makes flat turns and attempts to rog the next tasks to achieve.

If any builder is already an experienced autogyro pilot then build on rudder right away ...but I doubt an experienced pilot would build a Crane Fly as it's just to easy

Tom.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:01 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,860 Posts
Tom,

Do you advise hand launch for my first attempt at gyros?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
A1
It depends on the model , but I have always hand launched the Crane Fly as rog introduces more things to think about ,which falls in to the same category as distractions .
Hand launching enables a better feel for rotor speed ,lack of is "public enemy number one ", some might say that hand launches could involve a harder crash if things don't go right ,but I have seen many a nicely finished autogyros virtually destroyed as they have rolled left on the runway at full power. I have maiden-ed several SFH Crane Fly all from hand launches and all got away first time .....The choice is yours.BTW are you building a Crane Fly or contemplating the maiden of another type?

Tom.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wright View Post
.............. building from plans ,kits ,or,pdf docs looks to be in decline, which is like saying good by to aeromodelling as we knew it.
Maybe not. My LHS mentioned they saw a huge increase in materials sales in the past few months. And with Aeromodeller now back in business, maybe we will see a change. Also autogyros could help here as the effort vs results is better than a fixed wing model.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:26 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,860 Posts
Tom,

I plan on starting with the 23" 6.5 ounce one first. It is finished but it has been cold enough that I do not trust its strength. I don't expect it to last long being made from foam, but I hope it will give me an idea of what to expect. My next project will be Crane Fly. I am almost finished building a two axis head for future use. Possibly for my second Crane Fly.

Al
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
679 Posts
AI
Best of luck for better weather and the maiden.When you get round to the Crane Fly just shout if any help is needed.
Tom.