HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:48 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Sep 2010
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuck View Post
Do you guys that are running 3c get a lot of noise from prop? In. Hover it sounded smooth , but throttle up and it sounded like it was cavataing or out of balance. I am using the thick prop saver too.
It has plenty of power, nothing lacking there, just a lot of noise.
Is this normal?
When I hear a strange prop sound there is almost always something loose on the plane - a crack or a popped joint.

Dave
ombudsman is online now Find More Posts by ombudsman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:38 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
I checked the plane pretty well. The only thing I found that was loose was one of the wheel pants. After two flights with the 3s I changed the prop and ran 3 more 2s packs through it. No sound issues on 2s. I will look everything over again though just to make sure.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:43 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
Did you balance the prop your using on 3S? It's got to be either that or even though your using a thick prop band if it's an old one it could have lost it's spring, try a fresh one or put two on it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:40 PM
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
Yes I was using an old thick prop band. After throttling up I realized I needed to change it. I changed it out it was better but still noisy. I didn't realize that i needed to balance the tuff props. If they need to be balanced, then that is the issue. It makes sense ,The back prop hub is chewed up and distorted.
I will purchase a few more,, and balance before use. Thanks Aviefly.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:46 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,180 Posts
Rule of thumb always balance a prop or at least check them. Gws are bad, tuff are better, even the apc props I have on my 39" Edge needed to be balanced. Something I learned the hard way.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Mar 25, 2014, 03:55 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,240 Posts
Yeh it does make a difference. Bigger props I balance by sanding the heavy side but these smaller slow fly props I tend to sand the rough/sharp edges a little then balance by adding tape to the back face of the light side. Using CA on the back of the light blade is supposed to work well too but I haven't tried it.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:06 PM
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
Yup way out of balance. Thanks guys.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 09:14 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,128 Posts
I bought some of the SF Tuff Props from TH, do you sand or smooth out the prop roots where the prop saver band goes? They're so sharp they cut thru a band in flight
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Mar 26, 2014, 07:30 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I bought some of the SF Tuff Props from TH, do you sand or smooth out the prop roots where the prop saver band goes? They're so sharp they cut thru a band in flight
It wouldn't hurt to do so. Haven't had any troubles with the ones I have. Might give the gws slo fly props a try as well. They have more grunt at lower rpms. At least it feels like it to me.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 05:16 AM
Joined Apr 2014
38 Posts
Twisted Hobbys Pitts and Sbach Martin Young Is The Man (7 min 0 sec)
Old Trooper is online now Find More Posts by Old Trooper
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:05 PM
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
Nice video Old Trooper. Gym flying looks fun, the only in door flying I have ever done is in my living room. Not a lot of fun.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:19 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,180 Posts
Nice flying for sure. Looks like 3s with how it pulls around.

Ok so the yellow isn't to bad.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 02:24 PM
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
I've been flying 3cell for the past few weeks. It really works well for windy days. With the 2s power it almost gets pulled over into my neighbours back yard. But if it isn't windy I like the 2s better in my backyard. It's just always windy now.
Also I have found I fly better without my hat cam. I don't know if it's the weight on my head or just trying get the perfect flight. Either way it is discouraging.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:49 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,180 Posts
Windy here too but 3s wouldn't do any good.

Wind:
NNW at 28 mph

gusting to 33 mph

Might have to trade my fleet in for a kite.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 09:58 PM
SAC ca
Joined Feb 2009
889 Posts
I've got powerlines over my backyard. So a kite would be a bit dangerous for me.