HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 02:29 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Aug 2007
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
I got my flight data recording working again. I was hoping my 4S, 920kv, and 8x4.5 props props would show some decent flying time. Nope...3rd best. My 850kv RCTimer motors on 4S with 9x5x3 props is the winner for best fly time per mAh consumed. I might have to go back and put the RCTimer motors back on.
Thanks for posting those numbers. My frame is on the way. How much does your quad weigh?

Looking at the max amp draw, the highest burst you had was 8amp per motor. I have two sets of flashed esc's, 12a esc's (10gr) and 20a esc's(30gr). Looks like I could use the 12a esc and still be on the safe side(and save 80grams).
drkdgglr is offline Find More Posts by drkdgglr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:40 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkdgglr View Post
Thanks for posting those numbers. My frame is on the way. How much does your quad weigh?

Looking at the max amp draw, the highest burst you had was 8amp per motor. I have two sets of flashed esc's, 12a esc's (10gr) and 20a esc's(30gr). Looks like I could use the 12a esc and still be on the safe side(and save 80grams).
I'd have to weight it again...I forget...somewhere in the upper 1800g range I think. I'll (try to remember) to weight it again and post.

FWIW, I was playing with a Tricopter last night with 930kv motors, 3S, and 9x4.5 props...took about 3/4 throttle to hover. I'm going to try it on 4S next...which is also what I was thinking of trying with the FPV frame....920kv, 9x4.5, and 4S LiPo. I'll post follow up results when I have them.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
I want this frame, but always out of stock.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:55 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man1024 View Post
I want this frame, but always out of stock.
Nah, It's never been put into stock yet. First there were those doing the prototyping. Second were those on a waiting list. Now we're waiting for Hoverthings to cut enough stock to be able to list it and have units available to ship vs list it and trying to play catch up to the demand. Yeah, the wait sucks, but I'm sure Tom's spending every free minute trying to make sure he'll have sufficient stock for initial release.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:53 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkdgglr View Post
Just weighed my frame. AUW is 1390g...that's frame, GoPro camera, 4S 2650mAh pack, OSD, video stuff, etc...the complete, RTF package. It'd be interesting to hear what other's AUW is too. I always seem to come out on the heavy side.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:08 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
Van, My AUW with similar RTF config is 1410g. I made a wiring harness which I think is a bit on the heavy side.

In other news, I am still having major issues getting my FPV frame to fly. Seems like no matter which combination of gear I install it flies very squirrely and loose, wanting to yaw and pitch back the whole time.

I started with new-from-the-pack hoverthings 900kv motors, plush 25a esc's and my Naza, but when it wouldn't hold a hover I switched out the esc's to RCtimer flashed with Simonk, still no luck. I then swapped out the motors to some RCtimer 750kv motors (always on 4s with 8" props), it was a hair better but still extremely hard to hold a stable hover, let alone actually move around.

After much head scratching, CG checking and head banging I swapped out the Naza for a CC. The CC was another notch on the scale better, but far from how they are actually supposed to fly when set up correctly. What is odd is that this equipment came out of my perfectly flying F450 and VC-550 respectively. Other things I have tried are balancing each prop and hub, reprogramming the esc's and re-calibrating the throttle ranges again as well.

I solve problems for a living, so naturally the illogical nature of the issue I am experiencing is really driving me nuts. The only common denominator left is the actual frame, and my wiring harness. It doesn't make sense that I would have the same issues with multiple FC's, esc's or motors. The only thing I can try at this point would be to maybe pull out my wire harness and try using a distribution board. I'm thinking perhaps a short or cold solder in my harness might be able to produce some odd behavior like this? No idea but it's the last thing to change before I have officially swapped everything on the frame out.

I noticed WiseDuck was having similar issues, and someone on the OP forums as well. I wanted to wait until I made sure CG was correct and swapped out all of the gear before posting about it, so now maybe someone else has some insight.

It's got to be either something trivial I have overlooked (I have even reset both FC's, and created new models in my Tx!) or perhaps the power distribution. One other thing I haven't considered is possible vibrations, but with 2 sets of motors and balanced props I would have a hard time thinking I have vibration issues.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
BC, I've run my FPV frame with both Naza and CC boards...once tuned both have worked well for it. On my first flights with the Naza I was having issues of unexpected pitch up. I had my GoPro mounted and recording so was able to watch back. At the same time I got the pitch ups I also saw and heard vibration on the frame. I believe I ended up swapping motors (went from some RCTImer 1000kv to RCTimer 850 kv).. That solved the vibration and I've not had issues since. Hope you figure out your weirdness. It could be vibration. Have you held on to the frame while at ~hover power to feel for any vibration?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
724 Posts
You know I haven't tried hanging on to the frame and feeling for vibes, but that solution sure sounds better than the chickens and goats I was about to sacrifice in an effort to get this thing going. I'm going to tighten everything up again and look for any possible vibes.

The only odd snafu during the build was that I shaved one of the arm tabs 1mm to short and it doesn't snap into its socket snugly.

Either way, vibes are the only culprit left at this point so off I go.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Just weighed my frame. AUW is 1390g...that's frame, GoPro camera, 4S 2650mAh pack, OSD, video stuff, etc...the complete, RTF package. It'd be interesting to hear what other's AUW is too. I always seem to come out on the heavy side.
AUW, All Up Weight (Gross) is good to know, I'll add it to the first post.
I've had some family matters keeping busy lately so my progress has been slow.
I hope to update my post in the next week or two.

Thanks for all the great post everyone.
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
PastorBikerBrewerPilot
United States, NE, Central City
Joined Mar 2012
188 Posts
spacers

Same issue here LemaLife. Fortunately, I ordered some extra parts for my VC-450 and had some to "borrow."

Everything was neatly packaged, but just was short a few pieces.

I've also struggled a bit to get the legs to "snap" into place. I'm afraid to put too much pressure on it for fear of busting it and having to wait for replacement parts. I don't want to trim it to make it go easier as I want it snug, but man, it is tight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaLife View Post
Just starting to build my HTFPV and noticed a problem. The instructions call for 54 spacers to be used, but the kit only comes with 50. Not a big deal, but I wanted to throw that out there. Did any of the people who've already built it come across that problem?
The RevKev is offline Find More Posts by The RevKev
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Aug 2007
94 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. At first I thought I would be safe with a 12 amp esc, as you measured max average of 8amp/motor. But then I realized that in flight, one motor will always be pulling more amps than the other. So the average may be 8a, but the peak of one motor could be much higher....
drkdgglr is offline Find More Posts by drkdgglr
Old Apr 11, 2012, 01:44 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,552 Posts
Quote:
Dang, that's really good!!! I expect to come in somewhere around 1600g. No matter what I do that seems to be the weight

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,043 Posts
Here's my HT-FPV getting ready for its maiden flight.

LemaFPV ready for maiden flight (0 min 27 sec)
BayAreaCrasher is online now Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:13 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
669 Posts
Quote:
my one is 1315grams (no OSD) (see post #24 for details)
juz70 is offline Find More Posts by juz70
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:48 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juz70 View Post
my one is 1315grams (no OSD) (see post #24 for details)
That's good. Did you put helium filled ballons in it or something?
RCG Plus Member