HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Mar 2011
14 Posts
Discussion
How to make an IR link from reciever to SYMA?

How to make an IR link from reciever to SYMA?

I am interested in being able to control infrared mini helicopters through my usual radio, JR PCM 10. I saw something about it around but no details about building an IR transmitter that would go from my receiver and control the heli.

JR Transmitter - JR receiver - IR link - IR heli.

Anyone with a schematic, web site, or any info?
jrPCM10 is offline Find More Posts by jrPCM10
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:19 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
Don't know of any project to do exactly that, but this thread talks about the Syma IR protocol and has Arduino code to generate the IR signals. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1417249

Most of the Arduino Syma code seems to be for connecting to a PC, but there should be Arduino code floating around to read the servo channels from a receiver. Would just be necessary to combine the two.
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
i have an avr based adapter that converts trainer output of radio to s107 ir. ive used it to control the heli and also a small 1" rc boat i built that works on s107 signals. that thread contains all the info needed to do something similar.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:38 PM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
I did something like this a while ago to interface the trainer port on a TX to some IR LEDs to control a 3.5ch toy coaxial sold by Modelzone in the UK. Similar to Syma, and might even be compatible. I reverse-engineered the IR protocol, but never got around to comparing it to Syma. I think there's at least some documentation for the Syma protocol on the web.

I used an AVR tiny45 and code written in Bascom. Just a simple timer-based 3-ch PPM decoder, and another timer-based IR modulation output, with some throttle curves and ADC input for the gyro trim.

I'll post files for it if there's any interest. There's a free demo version of Bascom (BASIC language compiler for AVRs) that is plenty enough to do this sort of project with.
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,622 Posts
what a coincidence. i used t45 too. (great minds think alike. lol!) i doubt the protocols are compatible though. even syma is not compatible with syma as shown in the protocol thread mentioned above.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:08 AM
Indonesia, West Java, Bekasi
Joined Dec 2011
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcro View Post
I did something like this a while ago to interface the trainer port on a TX to some IR LEDs to control a 3.5ch toy coaxial sold by Modelzone in the UK. Similar to Syma, and might even be compatible. I reverse-engineered the IR protocol, but never got around to comparing it to Syma. I think there's at least some documentation for the Syma protocol on the web.

I used an AVR tiny45 and code written in Bascom. Just a simple timer-based 3-ch PPM decoder, and another timer-based IR modulation output, with some throttle curves and ADC input for the gyro trim.

I'll post files for it if there's any interest. There's a free demo version of Bascom (BASIC language compiler for AVRs) that is plenty enough to do this sort of project with.
Hi, I'm very interested in your project. Please post it if you don't mind.
Thanks......
Hirac is offline Find More Posts by Hirac
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:06 AM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
You want to control a $15 toy with a decade-old R/C radio system?

Do you want to do this in public or at home?
XtalHunt is offline Find More Posts by XtalHunt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
KK Tri Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined Feb 2012
346 Posts
Quote:
You want to control a $15 toy with a decade-old R/C radio system?
No, it's more of an engineering exercise and being able to control the toy model much more linearly and comfortably than with the piddly supplied controller.

Source code with some comments, plus a hand-drawn schematic of my ATtiny45 PPM-to-IR encoder attached. Hope somebody gets some fun out of it!
mattcro is offline Find More Posts by mattcro