HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:40 AM
Polar Flyer
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Help!
Aquila Grande Information

I recently aquired an Aquila Grande. It has flown as simple 2 channel polyhedral sailplane. The Grande is being cleaned up, modified (adding spoilers) and recovered. Does anyone have the set up information or instruction manual for the Aquila Grande?
ken stewart is offline Find More Posts by ken stewart
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Dec 2003
531 Posts
Suggestions

Hi:
Just checked mine.....
Rudder: Full throws - lots of long wing hanging out ther - momentum.
Elevator - 1" at TE UP and 3/4" down.

HOWEVER: You will get a much better idea by setting up withg more up and down. Then at the field find how much you need to get plane out of trouble.
You will normally fly with 20 - 25% of full throws.

The CG will really determine how much throw you really need on the Elevator. The AG flies a lot like the regular - it just climbs in a thermal better. Floats longer in dead air.

If you have a programable - you will want to connect/couple the elevator with rudder - to keep the nose in proper attitude in turn. When you bank it over. rudder will need to begin to be neutraled or even oposite throw to keep from having the turn evolve into a ever tightening turn. This is just for the AG.

I have expo on all my throws so the surfaces moves very little with lots of stick movement and then at the 30% of stick movement I get lots of surface movement.
Good luck
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken stewart View Post
I recently aquired an Aquila Grande. It has flown as simple 2 channel polyhedral sailplane. The Grande is being cleaned up,

Oh yes these are just my experiences, you may experience differing.......
modified (adding spoilers) and recovered. Does anyone have the set up information or instruction manual for the Aquila Grande?
vintagesailplnr is offline Find More Posts by vintagesailplnr
Last edited by vintagesailplnr; Feb 13, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:41 AM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Aquila Grande' Info

The plans say to balance the Aquila Grande' on the rear edge of the joiner for first flights... and that works well.

Position the tow hook down & forward about 15-20 degrees from the balance point. The plans show 10 degrees, but that's too far back relative to the CG. I've seen too many AG's stall on the line on their first flight. Get a few safe launches under your belt with a conservative tow hook locaton, then you can play with the CG and tow hook locations.

It's a long wing and a short-ish tail moment... you need all the rudder you can get. You don't have to use all of it all the time, but it's nice to have it when you do need it. The horizontal stabilator's trailing edge is V-notched in the center to clear the rudder. Rig the rudder to use all of the available space.

Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
bobgofish

I bought an Aquila Grande last year from ebay and part of the build instruction is missing.
I too am looking for a copplete build instruction manual for the Aquila Grande.
I plan to build this model electric as I am a wheelchair pilot with thermal on my mind.
The fuselage is fiber glass.
Your Thoughts Please?
bobgofish is offline Find More Posts by bobgofish
Old Feb 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
Polar Flyer
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
bobgofish

Contact these people as I belive that they have Aquila Grande Plans

http://www.aerosphereonline.com/contact/

RCM Plans has plans for the Aquila which is the 101" version of the Aquila Grande.
ken stewart is offline Find More Posts by ken stewart
Old Feb 24, 2012, 05:29 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
Good luck with Aerosphere, seems like they have gone on extended vacation. To bad, they bought a great old product line and let it go down in flames. I even know someone that offered to buy them out lock stock and barrel, still no response. Anybody can roll down to the local T Square a make a set of plans for 3 bucks a sheet then charge you $27.00 for a set of “building plans” … now for the good part, the plans don’t even come with the wing, or fuse profiles.

http://www.aerosphereonline.com/mm5/...e=Power-Planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken stewart View Post
bobgofish

Contact these people as I belive that they have Aquila Grande Plans

http://www.aerosphereonline.com/contact/

RCM Plans has plans for the Aquila which is the 101" version of the Aquila Grande.
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Riding the crest of a high and
Joined Jan 2003
6,806 Posts
I bought the plans for the Aquila Grande from Aerosphere last year. Yes, some of the rib profiles are not included on the plans, but otherwise the instructions are there and really nice.

I wish Aeroshere manufactured kits, but in this economy I'll take what I can get. I found a guy online who had all the rib profiles and cut me a very nice set of ribs for the Grande.

Since the Grande came with a glass fuse, there are no formers for the fuse, so my plan it to just adapt the existing Aquila fuse ( I have those plans too) to make a woody fuse that's slightly longer.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:55 PM
Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
(Snip)... Since the Grande came with a glass fuse, there are no formers for the fuse, so my plan it to just adapt the existing Aquila fuse ( I have those plans too) to make a woody fuse that's slightly longer.
Make your wood fuselage longer if a longer tail moment is what you want, but the Aquila and Aquila Grande fuselages are the same length (only different by the wing root fillet airfoil). The difference in overall lengths is due to the Grande's longer chord on the rudder.

Tim
Esprit2 is offline Find More Posts by Esprit2
Last edited by Esprit2; Mar 06, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:45 AM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,208 Posts
I just saw this thread.
So if anybody need the booklet I can e mail a copy on jpg form (so it's not too heavy) if you have dropbox or something like that I also have in pdf form (but is over 100Mb).
PM me if you need any of these.
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:21 AM
USA, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
I have an Aquila Grande which I bought built up with the fiberglass fuselage and it's a great flyer. I would like the pdf version if you wouldn't mind sending it along.

I just finished the plans for a modified Sagitta XC with more tail area, an SD 8020 airfoil on the tail surfaces and a longer overall fuselage by 25%. Parts are being laser cut. I really enjoy big floaters.

The Aquila Grande:
jeaton01 is offline Find More Posts by jeaton01
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:26 AM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,208 Posts
As I said, I have no problem sharing it but since it is over 100Mb it's impossible to email it.
We need to find another way to send it.
Fernando
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
Your manual is 100Mb?, the one I have is only 5.1Mb. Why mine is only 5.1 I don't know, ran it through the scanner and that's what the jpg came out at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferincr View Post
As I said, I have no problem sharing it but since it is over 100Mb it's impossible to email it.
Fernando
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2010
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferincr View Post
Fernando
Try using Sprend for sending large files. Free and fast.
You just upload the file to Sprend, and then mail the link to the file to whoever is to have the file. The file can be downloaded only once. If it hasn't been downloaded after a week, it will be deleted.

http://sprend.com/?r=0YUD0
sablatnic is offline Find More Posts by sablatnic
Last edited by sablatnic; Apr 09, 2012 at 01:36 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:32 AM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly01 View Post
Your manual is 100Mb?, the one I have is only 5.1Mb. Why mine is only 5.1 I don't know, ran it through the scanner and that's what the jpg came out at.
Yes, if you want it in .jpg I can make it quite small too.
I can even attach it here once I get home.

@sablatnic: I'll look into that software too .
Old Apr 09, 2012, 12:59 PM
US and Costa Rica
Joined Dec 2004
1,208 Posts
here we go...

These are fairly small (but readable) jpg's.
If anybody wants the full size pdf's PM your email address in the next 5 days (which is the time I can get on a free trial of Sprend).