HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:17 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
OK, that helps.

Today I am using a pair of 9C Supers with FASST, DSM2 and 72 MHz. This is working just fine.

My concern was really toward the future. Next year might see a purchse of an 8FC Super or the then current model. But I might look to another maker if it seems Futaba is going to keep spinning up new protocols and then leaving them behind.

However, your note seems to suggest backward and downward compatibility is being provided in the 8FG Super and above class radios through updates. May not be there today but likely in near future.

Since radios are now software updateable without having to send them in, that would be just fine. I can live with that.

Once I move up I lose the flexibility of changing channel modules to switch frequency bands and protocols. Now I am really stuck and locked in if the radio only handles FASST or FASSTEST and can't look back or down the protocol line. I would prefer the flexibilty to use genuine Futaba at whatever price point Futaba is selling. And I would prefer not to have to maintain multiple radios based on what frequency modulation I am on within the Futaba family.

I can keep one 9C for Spektrum DSM2 and 72 MHz if I am still using them at that time.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:42 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
$280 from Tower + $25 off = $255... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWGS&P=7

Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:54 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
Mikarro,

If that post is for me, thanks but no-thanks.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
The price for the T8J has been announced: It will be $279.99 with the R2008SB receiver.
You can Pre-Order your at Tower.
Here are the links:
Air:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWGR&P=7
Helicopter:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBWGS&P=7

I think that all of the Futaba dealers will have them about the same time, so if you want to order one through your LHS you could do that too.

jdanks
jdanks is offline Find More Posts by jdanks
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:42 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
its a good deal - for any sport flyer who won't need the glider etc specific programming of more complex radios ... this is good value
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Sep 2004
101 Posts
Futaba 8J manual

This is a really cool radio!
Here is a link to the manual
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8j-manual.pdf
jdanks is offline Find More Posts by jdanks
Old Mar 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bird View Post
its a good deal - for any sport flyer who won't need the glider etc specific programming of more complex radios ... this is good value
I'm not fan of Spektrum but in this case the DX7s is a better radio with telemetry and free updates for the same money and receivers are cheaper as well.
DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
953 Posts
I wouldnt sell the 8J short so quickly, compared to the DX7S it seems like a much better heli radio with 5 heli throttle/pitch conditions vs only 3 for the DX7S, it also has fairly nice programming features in general. And the 8 channel receiver it has is pretty nice also with built in dual antenna diversity, high voltage and sbus capability..

Plus It has some neat things I didnt even know about, the transmitter itself has dual antenna diversity system (I guess they beat the DX18 to the punch on that) and short range wireless communication with other 8J's to transfer models to each other..
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:32 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
I think a very good competitor to the new F8J is the Hitec Eclipse 7 Pro

in a toss up, I think the Eclipse wins - better programming, Voltage telemetry and costs about the same.... but without a doubt this new F8J radio is really nice and brings Futaba back into cotention.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:39 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,485 Posts
I don't like that Futaba has two completely incompatible radio lines, FASST and FHSS. If they add FHSS to the higher end radios, then I don't have a problem with it.

But if you started with an F8J and then went to 8FG, none of your receivers would work with the new radio. Might as well have had them on Spektrum or Hobbico Tactic or Hitec or 72 MHz.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 09:26 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
953 Posts
As mentioned in other posts pertaining to future Futaba radios, Futaba will possibly only have two lines (S)FHSS and FASSTest , note the new Futaba 18MZ can use S-FHSS receivers..

So the Futaba upgrade hierarchy would be 6J or 8J for lower end and then 18MZ and whatever will be announced this later year to replace the older FASST radios, it doesnt seem like a bad product lineup after they migrate to FHSS/FASSTest with the higher end radios supporting both and the low end supporting FHSS...

Maybe Futaba will release a (S)FHSS module for their 12FG/12Z/14MZ radios ? I know they've already released one for the 7U/8U/9C/10C line..

Also read the manual for the 8J, http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/8j-manual.pdf its a pretty complete radio, and while not having sailplane mixing, with 6 free programmable mixers you can easily take care of a 4 control surface wing.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, CT, Stamford
Joined Jan 2007
779 Posts
Have read over this thread and am a bit confused on a few things.

From what was mentioned, if I understand this correctly for the 8FG/FGS, it was listed that this will be able run all of the three the protocols?

In the confusing part, if the above is correct, is this something that is coming via a new 8ch radio to replace the current 8FG/FGS units out now that will be out in the next year or so?

Or is this something that is being planned where it will be a software upgrade that will be out in the next year or so?

Or is it both, kinda like how the 8FG was eventually able to go 14ch and essentially be a 8FGS via a software upgrade even though you could also get that natively with the 8FGS.

Thanks
WBFAir is online now Find More Posts by WBFAir
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:39 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
i'm no expert on this but my guess is that a radio that is currently only fasst capable would need both a hardware and a software update to handle the other Fhss system
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:50 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,204 Posts
A software "code" upgrade is need it to be able to run fhss, but for FASSTest you will need software and hardware (telemetry).

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:34 AM
Norway
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
In the house!

Got my T8J in the mail the other day and have fiddled with it a little. Here's a few early thoughts:

It's pretty. Compared to any Hitec or Spektrum, it just looks a whole lot better. Compared to newer JR's i guess it's a matter of taste, but I like the tight and straight line design compared to the JR XG8's more curvy, and in my mind overdone shapes.
It feels good in the hand. The plastic feels slightly cheap, like any newer futaba i've touched, but it's perfectly balanced, fits my hands nicely, and the metal on the front seems to actually be metal.

What i really dont like is the battery lid. Its flimsy, the lock requires force to "klick", and it generally doesn't fit that well. The T8J is a low/mid price model, but still, at 280$ I'll allways be hoping for something better than a hatch that feels like it's going to break whenever opened or closed.

The display is easy to read, has adjustable lighting both in contrast, brightness and timing, and it seems to be same size and type as on my mates 8FG.

Sticks are smooth and nice, switches and twistknob is std Futaba quality, and it has a 5-way mini-joystick with rubber top for operating the menus. As seen on pics, 3 other buttons completes the programming buttons.
I like the joystick a lot. I find it much easier to use than the touchwheel on the 8FG. Sure it only jumps one step for every move of the stick, but compared to that silly touchwheel on the 8FG, this is a hundred times more precise in my opinion.

Menus themselves are very similar to current more expensive Futabas. It's similar to the 8FG, and even the 10CG as far as i know from pics and vids online. Allthough with less functions, it's easier to navigate and find your way in.
I still think the JR and Spektrum tx's i've messed with has a better and more logical system for programming and manuvering the menus, but if you've fiddled with a newer Futaba before, you'll have no problems.

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to air systems, and this is my first midrange system, so i can't really say anything about which functions are there and which are missing from the expectations in the pricerange. In my level of experience it has pretty much everything.

All in all I'm very happy with my choice. I've stuck with Futaba since I started out with cars and boats 15 years ago, and even with the curent confusion around fhss and fast, I still think Futaba rules I get receivers for around 40$ on ebay, and those are original Futaba's.

It might be the time for Futaba to put telemetry into their lower priced systems, but for me, It's not an issue.

In this pricerange it seems to me that the T8J is one of the best there is. S-FHSS is as good or better than then the competitors systems. I've run it on my 4PL car system for some time, and it has served me perfect, both regarding range, and reliability. For an average level user, I see no limits on S-FHSS compared to FASST. Sure, at the time you need to use Futabas own rx's, but seriously.. is 39$ for a 6ch receiver so bad? would it be a huge part of you're rc budget?
Skalle is offline Find More Posts by Skalle
Last edited by Skalle; Apr 06, 2012 at 08:26 AM.