HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:29 PM
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
Yes, stock motor is strong enough but has a lot of heat, considered to replace stock Esc'S with a stronger one(30~40A) will solve the problem.Also, i found stock lipo is lack of "C" rate for 3D flight.
AC
ok. Thanks! Too bad I have 4 stock battieres. That is ok. For now, I will mainly fly this indoors, and I plan to just get used to it for a while before trying to 3D it. I think it would have plenty of power to flip and hover inverted and do a roll, but it doesn't seem to have enough power for advanced 3d tricks.
earthling1984 is offline Find More Posts by earthling1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Here is my 3rd flight of the 4F200 on a pretty nice day. I have been testing my batteries after flying and find I can get about a 5minute flight time and the battery will still have 20% charge left in it after landing. I set my timer to 4.5minutes so I have some time to land if I am up high or if it is windy and I want to wait for gusts to stop.

Walkera 4F200 Flight by a CUSTOMER! (4 min 12 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2010, 04:59 PM
Joined Sep 2010
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling1984 View Post
and do you think the stock motor is strong enough for 3D? I find it boggs down a bit at full pitch, but tail holds and it has pretty good lift speed.

Where I go to fly when I have time, there is a constant wind in the afternoon and I often make long FFF against the wind at full throttle/full pitch, I can ear the motor bogging down a lot, at this time it still works well but have considerable lateral shaftplay.

As for the servo, I find they become slow and sluggish after 2-3 min of flight, flip and roll become very slow, maybee this is due to the weather condition at this time of the year where I live, around 25-30f....... don't know.

If you want longer servo arm I have 3 that I dont have any use for it since I installed another brand servo, paid me the shipping 5$ and the arm are free.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Dec 02, 2010, 06:00 PM
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
Where I go to fly when I have time, there is a constant wind in the afternoon and I often make long FFF against the wind at full throttle/full pitch, I can ear the motor bogging down a lot, at this time it still works well but have considerable lateral shaftplay.

As for the servo, I find they become slow and sluggish after 2-3 min of flight, flip and roll become very slow, maybee this is due to the weather condition at this time of the year where I live, around 25-30f....... don't know.

If you want longer servo arm I have 3 that I dont have any use for it since I installed another brand servo, paid me the shipping 5$ and the arm are free.
Thanks for the advice! I actually already have 3 of the longer arms, I just haven't installed yet.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:10 PM
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Well... My 4F200 and 4G6 Crashed today due to a defective TX...

I recently(about a week ago) purchased a 4F200 from Wowhobbies. I received it a couple days ago, and so far have had about 3 flights on it. First couple flights went fine, they were done in my back yard. Then today I went to the indoor flying field. First flight was with the 4F200. Got it up and it flew great for about 1 or 2 minutes. About 2minutes or so into the flight, all the sudden I had no control, and the helicopter started spinning. It crashed.

Well I didn't even think about the transmitter being faulty. At first I thought the belt broke, but it hadn't... and, I had *no* control over the heli, so even if the belt broke, I would have had control of aileron/elevator controls, but none.

Anyways, I didn't think about the transmitter being faulty, I figured it had to be something wrong with the 4F200, so I packed it up and took out my 4G6... bad idea... again I used the same 2801 pro transmitter. I took off and started doing some flips and inverted flight. After about 1minute into flight, while I was hovering inverted, all the sudden, I had no control again. Helicopter wouldn't respond to anything and it flew itself inverted into the ground.

I then realized it was the transmitter...

I flew a few flights with my Dx6i and my other helicopter + some planes, and no glitches... so there wasn't a problem with this flying area, cus the DX6i worked fine, and nobody else flying had any problems either.

I contacted wowhobbies and told them I had a faulty transmitter which caused my brand new 4F200 to crash. I told them I wanted to return for a full refund. I am waiting for a reply, we'll see what they say...
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:20 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Well... My 4F200 and 4G6 Crashed today due to a defective TX...

I recently(about a week ago) purchased a 4F200 from Wowhobbies. I received it a couple days ago, and so far have had about 3 flights on it. First couple flights went fine, they were done in my back yard. Then today I went to the indoor flying field. First flight was with the 4F200. Got it up and it flew great for about 1 or 2 minutes. About 2minutes or so into the flight, all the sudden I had no control, and the helicopter started spinning. It crashed.

Well I didn't even think about the transmitter being faulty. At first I thought the belt broke, but it hadn't... and, I had *no* control over the heli, so even if the belt broke, I would have had control of aileron/elevator controls, but none.

Anyways, I didn't think about the transmitter being faulty, I figured it had to be something wrong with the 4F200, so I packed it up and took out my 4G6... bad idea... again I used the same 2801 pro transmitter. I took off and started doing some flips and inverted flight. After about 1minute into flight, while I was hovering inverted, all the sudden, I had no control again. Helicopter wouldn't respond to anything and it flew itself inverted into the ground.

I then realized it was the transmitter...

I flew a few flights with my Dx6i and my other helicopter + some planes, and no glitches... so there wasn't a problem with this flying area, cus the DX6i worked fine, and nobody else flying had any problems either.

I contacted wowhobbies and told them I had a faulty transmitter which caused my brand new 4F200 to crash. I told them I wanted to return for a full refund. I am waiting for a reply, we'll see what they say...
That sucks. Is the tx shutting off or just stops sending signal? And does the motor shut off when this happens. Or did the helis hit the ground and do the chicken dance? I hope that wow will work with you on this.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old Dec 03, 2010, 06:28 PM
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster7467 View Post
That sucks. Is the tx shutting off or just stops sending signal? And does the motor shut off when this happens. Or did the helis hit the ground and do the chicken dance? I hope that wow will work with you on this.
The TX is still on, I don't know if it flickers or anything cus I was watching helicopter, but it didn't when I checked it. It 'seemed' to be on and working fine. The motor did shut off on the 4F200 luckily quickily after hitting the ground, it didn't dance much... the 4G6 on the other hand, danced a bit. The blade grips were completely ripped off, flybar bent in half, main shaft most likely bent(Stay true $20 shaft... supposed to be strong... but I don't know if it will stand up to this, we'll see when I test it), canopy, and probably more I haven't found yet, those are just from looking at it quick after crash before packing it up; I haven't repaired yet.

I hope wow will just let me return for a full refund. Problem is, they will probably just think I crashed it... If they check my order history though they will see I am a loyal customer who purchases a lot from them. And I have no reason to lie about this, if I did crash it, I would just fix it. I want to return it for a refund because I don't trust this TX, and don't really want to try another one of same model.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 07:52 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,619 Posts
earthling1984,
So sad to heard about your bird's crash! uncontrolled heli is destructive tho.Hope you can solve problem with your vendor.
good luck man,
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:29 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,004 Posts
While I am still waiting for my 4F200 to be fixed, I ordered a Trex 250. At the same time, I upgraded my Trex 450 to 3G FBL. I come to the conclusion that for the long term, it is too dangerous and costly to rely on the 4F200. Not that I have had much luck with a Trex 450. I burnt out a motor and couple of ESCs recently that costed over $100. But at least Align has a much better reputation than Walkera. Having spent over $1000, this is getting to be a very expensive Christmas for me. But the cost still pales in comparison to nitro helis. I hope I will not need to buy any heli next year.

Therefore, I would urge those who are considering buying a V450D01 or the new V500 to consider carefully. At that size, the machines are much more dangerous and safety should take a much higher priority over cost. The problem is that I am still using my 2801pro to control to Trex 450 and 250. Obviously, I will have to watch this carefully.

earthling1984, I am sorry to hear about the crashes. But I would be very surprised if your vendor will agree to a refund once the model has been flown for any reason. But I hope that in the least, they will examine your heli carefully and replace any part if required.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 04, 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2010, 08:39 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
The problem is that I am still using my 2801pro to control to Trex 450 and 250. Obviously, I will have to watch this carefully.
I dont know that there is any evidence to support the 2801 being any worse than a dx6 in terms of signal quality AFAIK it uses a similar spread spectrum technology and the radio chipsets are reported to be of good quality. There are too many variables to any wireless link for blame to fall on a TX design without a strong pattern of failures.

The only issue the 2801 has is its programming oddities (eg. resetting a model changes the stick mode on ALL of them to mode 1 and resetting a model sets all throttle directions to normal) these should be fixed but shouldn't cause crashes if you are careful when changing settings.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Dec 04, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
I dont know that there is any evidence to support the 2801 being any worse than a dx6 in terms of signal quality AFAIK it uses a similar spread spectrum technology and the radio chipsets are reported to be of good quality. There are too many variables to any wireless link for blame to fall on a TX design without a strong pattern of failures.

The only issue the 2801 has is its programming oddities (eg. resetting a model changes the stick mode on ALL of them to mode 1 and resetting a model sets all throttle directions to normal) these should be fixed but shouldn't cause crashes if you are careful when changing settings.
I agree, if anything the Walkera 2801Pro Tx appears to be one of its most reliable products. Although Martin had reported a problem with restricted range.

"About 2minutes or so into the flight, all the sudden I had no control, and the helicopter started spinning. It crashed."

This is what exactly happened to me on my second flight. Although I do not suspect my Tx was at fault and I have continued to use it since then.

The main reason why I decided to get a Trex 250 was mainly based on my experience with my V200D01 which is of a similar size, and with which I have flown over 90 packs. I am quite happy with the V200D01 but there were a few problems that I could not accept in a CP heli. One was that the bottom part of the main gear would come off in mid air leaving the shaft unconnected to the main gear. I also had an aileron servo burnt out in mid flight. More recently, the tail servo suddenly seized up in mid flight. I can just extrapolate this to what may occur with my 4F200. We really need more accounts of long term usage of Walkera products rather than just an initial review.

It seems that with many Walkera products, it is a matter of the luck of the draw whether you are going to get a lemon or not. For example, I have had a ghastly experience with my 4G6 with which I had hardly flown 10 packs after 9 months. Whereas lots of others seem to be quite happy with it. Now it seems that both earthling and I got lemons with our 4F200.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Dec 04, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:24 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,619 Posts
I bought mine from Terence and at the 15Th flight, she'd lost control on 5feet high and sunk on ground like Titanic.Just wondering if there's any problem among TX, test it with all my Walker helis and works fine.Finally, i realize that crash is due to static effect generated from tail boom/ belt drive!
AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwayscrash View Post
I bought mine from Terence and at the 15Th flight, she'd lost control on 5feet high and sunk on ground like Titanic.Just wondering if there's any problem among TX, test it with all my Walker helis and works fine.Finally, i realize that crash is due to static effect generated from tail boom/ belt drive!
AC
Static effect on the tail boom? Interesting idea. This happened on two of my helicopters though, I know it was the TX. I'm not saying all 2801's are bad. Just this is the only 2801 I've tried, and I personally, don't want to trust another 2801. There are many complaints about almost all brands of tx/rx's, but so far, I haven't had a single spektrum radio glitch or loss signal; I'll stick with spektrum.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:50 PM
UK, Leeds.
Joined Mar 2009
398 Posts
Quote:
Static effect on the tail boom? Interesting idea. This happened on two of my helicopters though, I know it was the TX. I'm not saying all 2801's are bad. Just this is the only 2801 I've tried, and I personally, don't want to trust another 2801. There are many complaints about almost all brands of tx/rx's, but so far, I haven't had a single spektrum radio glitch or loss signal; I'll stick with spektrum.
Just to balance I have a DX7, 2801E and 2801Pro. So far no binds lost mid flight with Walkera and two lost with the Spec. The Spec were on little micro planks so not a big deal. Luck of the draw... who knows.

GOOD LUCK with WOW.

Sorry to hear about your helis, the rebuild is so annoying when its not your fault you binned it.
rew-7 is offline Find More Posts by rew-7
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:53 PM
Live to learn. . .
Austin, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,489 Posts
Quote:
I can't remember where I heard it, but I thought that the 2801 carried a warranty, unlike the walkera birds. Good luck,

Rafa
Rafa's CB100 is offline Find More Posts by Rafa's CB100