HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:54 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
384 Posts
On 3s it flies perfect. Once i get the CG set propperly ill be happ. When i bank i hate when the tale drags lower . It's technically 70oz of thrust which is unlimited vertical climb and yea, i tried it lol.
pokiou is online now Find More Posts by pokiou
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
tree hugger
Joined Sep 2012
34 Posts
I just got a good deal on a new funcub airframe. I'm wondering how I can power it for a good price (motor esc and prop). I don't need crazy power, I just want it to fly nice.

Oh, I'm wondering if the motor from my f4u1a corsair would go well. I think it's a park 15 950kv. I wouldn't mind putting a little more power into that plane. I'm still pretty new to the hobby but long enough to realise that the cheapest way to fly is to get the airframe at the local hobby shop and the components from hobbyking or something like it.

I'd like more power than speed but to stay light. Still, nothing extreme.
footsy is offline Find More Posts by footsy
Last edited by footsy; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuejim View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to the Fun Cub gang
7am Palm Beach County FL 57degrees and winds 11 gusting 22...so I flew anyway!!!!
Flew one battery, little rough in some gust but all in all a good flight until final. Caught a big gust about three feet off the ground and left wing tip went up like a rocket, right caught and she cart wheeled Luckily just tail wheel fitting got pulled loose so she'll be back in the air by the weekend

RickFlaGuy, hope you have better luck on the west side!
Jimmy
I'm on the east side of the state. I'm only 57 and you know they won't let me live on the west side for at least 8 more years.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:09 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by footsy View Post
I just got a good deal on a new funcub airframe. I'm wondering how I can power it for a good price (motor esc and prop). I don't need crazy power, I just want it to fly nice.

Oh, I'm wondering if the motor from my f4u1a corsair would go well. I think it's a park 15 950kv. I wouldn't mind putting a little more power into that plane. I'm still pretty new to the hobby but long enough to realise that the cheapest way to fly is to get the airframe at the local hobby shop and the components from hobbyking or something like it.

I'd like more power than speed but to stay light. Still, nothing extreme.
The power 15 is a lot heavier than a 10 or 480. Some like it but I like it light.

If you are in the US try Heads up RC. The link below gives a complete list of parts you need. They fit and they will work. Unlike HK They have something called customer service.

There is an upgrade choice on this page.

They ship the some day for $2.00.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:16 AM
Registered User
dk31's Avatar
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by footsy View Post
I just got a good deal on a new funcub airframe. I'm wondering how I can power it for a good price (motor esc and prop). I don't need crazy power, I just want it to fly nice.

Oh, I'm wondering if the motor from my f4u1a corsair would go well. I think it's a park 15 950kv. I wouldn't mind putting a little more power into that plane. I'm still pretty new to the hobby but long enough to realise that the cheapest way to fly is to get the airframe at the local hobby shop and the components from hobbyking or something like it.

I'd like more power than speed but to stay light. Still, nothing extreme.
At the time when I was looking for my setup, most people used a 3536 or so motor. Search HK or any other vendor for 3536 or 3530 and you ll get many choices for ~20$. If you go for a 950kV version of this motor, a 40Amp ESC and a 11X7 prop would be fine on 3S lipo.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:45 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
There is only one problem with components from hobbyking.. you have to be willing to wait a long, long time for the stuff to get in your hands. I ordered a couple of orange six channel receivers a month ago, and haven't heard a word yet on when they if ever, will ship. I ordered a second funcub from Tower, a custom decal set from ModelMarkings.com in England, and six servos and a float set from headsuprc.com. Everything arrived in a few days, except th edecals from England, which took a whole week! Hobby king could take months.. ridiculous.
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:49 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
I love Heads up RC!!! They ship the same day and you get your stuff fast!! If I need anything, I go there first to see if they carry it. In my opinion, they are the best for customer service and fast delivery. Some people just know how to run a business.
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
Two quick questions

Hi guys,

I have two questions that I'd like to ask you guys and see what you think. Here are my questions:

This one may sound a little nuts, but I was wondering if anyone had taken off and landed on grass with the float set? My new fun cub will have the floats and it would be cool if I could leave them on and take off and land on grass.

I am painting my new cub in olive drab with invasion stripes on the wing and fuse. I was wondering if I could just mask the white stripe areas and not worry about painting the black stripes, and just have them olive drab? Most pictures have the stripes black, and a few have them the olive drab color. It would be easier to just mask the white stripe areas. Would any of you notice that the stripes are not black?

I ordered a gear set from the cub nut. I wasn't sure who to make the check out to, so I emailed him asking that. I never got a reply, so I just made the check out to "Jim the cub nut" Anyone else ordered from him? I figured I'd take a chance and just send him the 60 bucks. I hope the gear comes some day!

Anyway, thanks for reading... hope all had a nice Thanksgiving
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Hi guys,

I have two questions that I'd like to ask you guys and see what you think. Here are my questions:

This one may sound a little nuts, but I was wondering if anyone had taken off and landed on grass with the float set? My new fun cub will have the floats and it would be cool if I could leave them on and take off and land on grass.

I am painting my new cub in olive drab with invasion stripes on the wing and fuse. I was wondering if I could just mask the white stripe areas and not worry about painting the black stripes, and just have them olive drab? Most pictures have the stripes black, and a few have them the olive drab color. It would be easier to just mask the white stripe areas. Would any of you notice that the stripes are not black?

I ordered a gear set from the cub nut. I wasn't sure who to make the check out to, so I emailed him asking that. I never got a reply, so I just made the check out to "Jim the cub nut" Anyone else ordered from him? I figured I'd take a chance and just send him the 60 bucks. I hope the gear comes some day!

Anyway, thanks for reading... hope all had a nice Thanksgiving
I've seen skis on grass but never floats. If slick the bottom with packing tape or urethane it might work.
As for in vision stripes, if you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't notice
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
Registered User
Jeffem62's Avatar
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
Has anybody here converted the FunCub into a Twin Engine? Looking to see modes for FPV flying and putting a GoPro in the engine cowling area.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:16 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
I love Heads up RC!!! They ship the same day and you get your stuff fast!! If I need anything, I go there first to see if they carry it. In my opinion, they are the best for customer service and fast delivery. Some people just know how to run a business.
Heads up is a class act in every way. Best of all they listen and respond quickly.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Own your own - What it means
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
DLGFPVBAJAOCD
electrich's Avatar
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
3,598 Posts
+1000 on headsuprc.com. They do it right.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:57 PM
Registered User
Weed89's Avatar
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,263 Posts
+++ A +++ on headsuprc.com......a Class Act...and great value for a $
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:35 AM
Registered User
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Hi everyone, got a question for the ones using floats...
I just read that the floats (multiplex) are intended for a weight around 1 KG. Now, no matter what I do but with battery installed (even just a 3S 2200 30C) mine weighs about 1255 grams?.... Got the NTM 910kv (117 grams engine) with 40A ESC so nothing big or heavy. Will it still float? Up to how heavy can it get? (I intend to use up to 3000 mah so total weight 1330grams) before those floats don't carry anymore? Experience please?
Thanks
Boreel is offline Find More Posts by Boreel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:02 AM
All Thumbs
FunPilot's Avatar
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Returning to CG for a sec ...

I've been fooling around with the CG on my Fun Cub and find, as have many others, that moving it a bit forward from the recommended 80mm works best for me.

When I set CG at 80mm the plane is too "floaty" and I have to work to keep it level, but by setting it right at the servo cable channel, about 10mm ahead of normal on my FC, it seems to handle much better in turns and most other maneuvers.

That's just my particular setup, but there it is FYI.
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 04:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 09:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 09:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 10:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 11:02 AM