SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
Works to Fly
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Sep 2007
2,813 Posts
Ok, I just took the plunge and got the A9X. I left JR/Spektrum over 2 years ago because of loss of bind issues, and no practical, affordable telemetry. I changed to FRSKY and was very happy until trim switches stopped working while in flight and the ail/elevator gimbal went out on a maiden flight. Not only did the spring break, but the post that holds the spring broke. Needless to say, a crash resulted and luckily it was a heavy duty foam DS glider was just launching when the break happened, so no major damage. Had it been moving out on the backside, or been an expensive moldie, this could have been a disaster. This with a 16 month old Taranis
So after looking around and talking to ALOT of people, I picked the A9x.
Since two of the best and fastest RC pilots in the DS arena trust their 4,000.00 planes to them and have had no breaking hardware or lost plane issues, I'm going with that.
I've been navigating through the radio, and though way different, it has a lot of the programming flexibility of the Frsky. It is a very solid system and I'm hoping this works for me.
Slopedaddy is offline Find More Posts by Slopedaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
6,381 Posts
This is the A9 thread not the A9X, but you made a good choice. I was thinking of a Taranius for more channels, but now you scare me.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by 4*60
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
4,032 Posts
If you don't do dynamic soaring I think you might be OK.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:03 PM
Works to Fly
Joined Sep 2007
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
This is the A9 thread not the A9X, but you made a good choice. I was thinking of a Taranius for more channels, but now you scare me.
Be afraid. Most of my Taranis friends are replacing trim switches and push buttons quite often. The finish came right off the case when I wiped it down with a little rubbing alcohol to remove what I thought was grime from my hands. It was the silver paint coming off!Its just black plastic under that cheap paint job. One friend's Taranis toggle switches are getting pitted and rusty. We bought these Radios in 2014.
It's too bad they went so cheap on the hardware because the rest of the TX parts seem to be excellent.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:07 PM
Works to Fly
Joined Sep 2007
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
If you don't do dynamic soaring I think you might be OK.
I do most different types of slope soaring including PSS and fly at Fermin on occasion. A broken gimbal could be expensive or even deadly at that spot. I'm keeping the Taranis for the foamies and see if they improve it, then who knows?