New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2015, 04:45 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
1,283 Posts
I bought an apprentice off a guy at a swap meet a month ago. It was a fantastic deal and I got it for my newbie friend to get better on. I fixed it up and gave it no less than a dozen test flights, including loops, rolls, etc without issue. I went out with my friend yesterday for him to give it a whirl and he somehow crashed it 5 minutes into the flight...a total nose-dive into the dirt from 100 ft up. I honestly have no idea how he did it. He has at least a few hours of flight time by now and a plane like this almost takes zero effort to fly.

He claims he did a dive and then lost control. He suspects the ailerons got disconnected. However, I saw the plane right before his crash and the wing was still on top of the fuselage. We had FOUR rubber bands securing the wing, so I really don't think that was the issue.

I suspect he dived and when he pulled up, the wings separated a little from the body. This likely caused the Rx/Gyro to wig out a bit, but instead of being calm and letting it settle down, I think he freaked out and lost control. I guess the "Oh Crap" switch doesn't help much when you forget to use it.

This friend of mine has an interest in flying RC, but with how infrequently he flies and how much trouble he has when he does fly, I'm beginning to think this hobby isn't for him.

Sorry, I realize this is a rant. But I had to rant to some people who care. My wife doesn't understand. She just tells me to find a less stressful hobby. =D
Suko is online now Find More Posts by Suko
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by Neil_M
Joined Feb 2010
74 Posts
So sad poor plane.
Neil_M is offline Find More Posts by Neil_M
Old Aug 03, 2015, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by xmech2k
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,506 Posts
Sorry for the crash. In my experience, 4 rubber bands aren't enough on the Apprentice. It can do the lifting thing if you pull too much elevator. You need all 8 if you're using the stock ones.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Aug 03, 2015, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by gobigdave
United States, MA, Scituate
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
Definitely want all 8'of the stock bands.
gobigdave is online now Find More Posts by gobigdave
Old Aug 03, 2015, 10:21 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
Joined Apr 2013
1,283 Posts
It's strange then. I've been using 4 this whole time without issue and I felt like I really gave the plane some stress flights before letting my friend fly.
Old Aug 03, 2015, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by iflypby
TreeTopFlyer
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2014
23 Posts
The original rubber bands that came with my Apprentice were longer than the new issue from Eflite. I use all eight, plus one under the fuselage to help hold the battery door closed. Even then, I get some wing to fuselage flex if I am really cranking her around. I have longer bands that I use for storage to keep the pressure from damaging the wings. The ailerons disconnecting should not cause her to go straight in. She just becomes a rudder aircraft for turns. Maybe the elevator clevis became disconnected? Hopefully, Easy to repair. Maybe some buddy box time to help him get some confidence back.
iflypby is offline Find More Posts by iflypby
Old Aug 04, 2015, 01:20 AM
Find More Posts by Suko
Joined Apr 2013
1,283 Posts
Yeah...that's the thing. I buddy box'd him quite a bit already. An accident of this magnitude should have been well beyond what I thought his current skills where at. Maybe it was a completely legit mechanical failure...but not being the pilot at the controls makes that tough to know for sure. I will probably do wireless buddy box the next time we go out for sure.
Old Aug 04, 2015, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by iflypby
TreeTopFlyer
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2014
23 Posts
Suko, where do you fly? I have been flying my Apprentice(and others) at the Arlington Eagles field this summer.
iflypby is offline Find More Posts by iflypby
Old Aug 05, 2015, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by Suko
Joined Apr 2013
1,283 Posts
The instance above was at 60 acres in Redmond. I usually fly at the local middle school or high school when I'm by myself. I don't belong to any of the clubs because most are pretty far away from where I live.
Old Aug 07, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by Harrow
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,333 Posts
Almost no doubt the crash was caused by using only 4 rubber bands. This is what would have happened......he put it in a dive, it picked up lots of air speed, then when he tries to pull out, the force is too much for the rubber bands, and they stretch, allowing the leading edge of the wing to lift up, and you then lose control. You could get away with mild flight, but pulling out of a big dive is too much. I've had it happen with 8 old rubber bands and recovered, but with only 4, the effect would be severe, and possibly the main wing got quite displaced while loose.
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Old Aug 09, 2015, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by Surgi
Surg on YouTube
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jul 2014
45 Posts
Enjoying the Apprentice with a different rx, motor, esc , prop and tires. Once you get rid of the safe receiver, the plane takes on a whole new dimension. Awesome plane for sure!

Apprentice S 15e Runcam HD - LCRCC - 8/9/15 (10 min 26 sec)
Surgi is offline Find More Posts by Surgi
Old Aug 09, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by GLHS592
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
826 Posts
I've been flying mine converted to taildragger. It changed a plane I was kinda bored with into something much more fun to fly. I bought a Dubro tailwheel assembly and it worked perfect. I hadn't flown this plane in several months before the conversion. Now, I'm taking this plane with me almost every time I fly.
GLHS592 is online now Find More Posts by GLHS592
Old Aug 09, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Surgi
Surg on YouTube
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jul 2014
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
I've been flying mine converted to taildragger. It changed a plane I was kinda bored with into something much more fun to fly. I bought a Dubro tailwheel assembly and it worked perfect. I hadn't flown this plane in several months before the conversion. Now, I'm taking this plane with me almost every time I fly.
I didn't realize how great of a plane it really is. I know I'll also be taking it with me every time I head to the field now. I think I viewed your pics on the conversion. Looks like a lot of work? (I am one lazy you know what haha)
Surgi is offline Find More Posts by Surgi
Old Aug 23, 2015, 05:30 PM
Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot
LOAD"*",8,1
United States, IL, Lombard
Joined May 2009
3,739 Posts
Nice Video Surgi! I like the view from the tail - I might have to try that Nice long flight times wit this plane & battery combo.

I had a good flight a couple weeks ago -two Mobius camera went for a ride that day. Actually it was a bunch of flights, all on one battery. This one was the shortest:

Two Camera Views (3 min 26 sec)
FR4-Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FR4-Pilot