New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by Mcswiney
Joined Jun 2015
13 Posts
Discussion
Need a new one meter sailboat!

I bought a beautiful one meter sail boat that was built from a fiberglass hull and a pile of sticks.The builder was a pro and I could sail in any wind! Unfortunately I loaned it to my brother in law and it was sold because he left it in a storage container!!! It was a one meter ship and not the junk plastic boats so many companies sell!! I was thinking of getting a VELA from tower.Any reviews on that boat? I do sail in the ocean or at least I did!!!! Help guy I want a REAL SAIL BOAT One meter with a 6"mast.I can make ripstop sails myself! HELP
HELP!!!
Myles
Mcswiney is offline Find More Posts by Mcswiney
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2015, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by seabee CE
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
Joined Feb 2012
538 Posts
You will get many ideas, so here is one, I would take a Seawind over a Vela.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Aug 06, 2015, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by Radsail
Australia, VIC, Altona Meadows
Joined Apr 2013
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcswiney View Post
I bought a beautiful one meter sail boat that was built from a fiberglass hull and a pile of sticks.The builder was a pro and I could sail in any wind! Unfortunately I loaned it to my brother in law and it was sold because he left it in a storage container!!! It was a one meter ship and not the junk plastic boats so many companies sell!! I was thinking of getting a VELA from tower.Any reviews on that boat? I do sail in the ocean or at least I did!!!! Help guy I want a REAL SAIL BOAT One meter with a 6"mast.I can make ripstop sails myself! HELP
HELP!!!
Myles
Check out the Dragon Flite 95 thread. Going on the pedigree of the design team (same as the DF65) this will be one great boat. Won't be available until the end of the year though!
Radsail is offline Find More Posts by Radsail
Old Aug 06, 2015, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by ktm500mx
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
293 Posts
1 meter

the thing is what do you want to do with the boat?
there are many 1m classes so if you want a us 1m or Odom
iom soling you really need to narrow it down abit.
Mike

ktm500mx is online now Find More Posts by ktm500mx
Old Aug 06, 2015, 08:40 AM
Joined Jun 2015
13 Posts
Hi Guys

I last saw a seawind at Reds pond 10 years ago and it didn't sail very well.it was built for show and no go! I like light and strong.Brass turnbuckles and brass hardware not plastic everything.They make great showcase displays but I wouldn't take them out in Beverly Harbor to beat a 6 knot current!My old boat did beat the tide!!!!!! If the seawind has changed I'll look into it.I want a fiberglass hull and wood deck with a 6'mast that will pickup the smallest breeze and it will sail tight into the wind!
Any Idea's will help greatly I've been out of the rc hobby for 10 years and am just getting into it again.I'm amazed how much has changed. I'm converting Boats, sail and glow,planes and cars.I just want a good sailing 6'mast sailboat that is not all show and no go.
Thanks Guys
Myles McSwiney
Old Aug 06, 2015, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Joined Mar 2012
300 Posts
If you are in the Marblehead area, go over to Reds Pond and see if you can buy a used Marblehead, bigger than one meter, but meets your other criteria. Otherwise, send a pm to Sailing Junkie who posts regularly here. He has a good sense of used boats available in the U.S. Northeast....
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Last edited by Tom Corbett; Aug 07, 2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2015, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,420 Posts
You can also look for an older used IOM.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 06, 2015, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by foxwyck
USA, VA, Powhatan
Joined Nov 2010
64 Posts
I don't think you will find a one meter off the shelf that meets your criteria - both cosmetics and performance - surely not a Vella.
So you need to decide what's important - wants vs needs - and more importantly what your budget is.
There are several good clubs around Salem, go out and talk with them, see what they are sailing.
foxwyck is online now Find More Posts by foxwyck
Old Aug 07, 2015, 11:32 AM
Joined Jun 2015
13 Posts
Hi Guys

Everyone at Reds pond sails 914's.Its a beautiful boat,but small and it requires too much time building and pre built are $900!! but too small for my type of sailing.Right now I'm going towards your recommendation of a seawind.I hope they have improved it in 10 years since I saw it sail last .It looks heavy and made for show.I'm investigating the Vela.it is an arf and it has a 6' mast and the video of it sailing looks fair.Which boat would you gentlmen recomend.Seawind is pretty and the vela I have little knowledge about.Only that it fits my size needs for high wind and is a arf.I am looking for a ARF I have lost my will for building,.20 years of building light and strong in boats ,planes and cars requires time ,skill and money!So those of you who own a seawind or a vela please tell me the parts that need rebuilding because they are not designed for heavy use.
Thanks
Myles McSwiney
Old Aug 07, 2015, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by gpzy
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,420 Posts
The Seawind is the same boat you saw sail ten years ago. I've never had or seen a Vela on the water. But I doubt you will find a read to sail off the shelf boat to suit your needs. What's your budget ? My first choice for sailing in the ocean would be an IOM, regattas are held in rough water and these boats when setup right take a beating. I am sure you can find an older boat that you would be happy with.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Aug 07, 2015, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by breakwater
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,666 Posts
Hi Myles.
It sounds like you're already familiar with the club in Marblehead, which is great.
I suppose the question is if you'd like to sail with a class/ or club, or if you don't mind "sailing alone"
If you would like to sail with a club, it's advisable to buy whatever that local club sails irregardless of the design, as everyone will have the same. If you chose to sail alone (Which is totally fine!) then the design is somewhat moot as you'll be the only one enjoying it. Each has it's positives and negatives, and I guess it's up to you which you prefer.

At Redds Pond, the CR-914 is a great boat, and is very active, and growing, and in your 1 Meter range.
Yes, they are $900 if ordered new from the supplier (CPM) and worth it. Especially if you race the boat long-term. But they can often be had for much less second-hand, as there are ton's of them around. Best to come watch the races and talk to people. You'll find a boat in no-time. Just be very cautious in the second hand market.

The club in Marblehead also sails the, Well, Marblehead class!
They are much larger then what you are looking for (At 50" long), but are very high-performance. The average used one seems to go for about $900 but you can spend a lot more, or a lot less. Just depends but there are lot's of those around as well.

The club essentially sails three classes, The CR-914, the Marblehead (Which is sort of misconstrued as three different classes if you read the racing schedule) and the EC-12. All of which are popular and have great resale value in the area. Any class outside of that (Seawind,e etc) is welcome to race on an informal basis on Thursday nights, but class racing occurs on the weekend.

Be sure to check out the club's Official web page here:
http://mmyc.us
And the club's Facebook Page here:
https://www.facebook.com/MarbleheadModelYachtClub

Best of luck! and feel free to contact me if you need any help sourcing a boat that the local club sails! It's what I happen to focus on.
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Aug 07, 2015, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2015
13 Posts
What about the ragazza?

It look ok, has anyone sailed it or seen it sail?So now I have the seawind,Vela and Ragazza to choose from.which will do it guys?
Myles
Old Aug 07, 2015, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by bbbp
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,719 Posts
Search you tube for videos of the boats you are interested in. You may find some sailing in similar conditions that you have available. If all you see are calm lakes, I would give that boat lower ratings for your selection.

Have you looked at the Laser sailboat. It is not sloop rigged, but the videos show it sailing in strong conditions. There are a couple available on the east coast craiglist sites.

BP
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Aug 07, 2015, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by ktm500mx
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Jul 2008
293 Posts
Club at Redd's pond

there is a club at redds pond very active . if your are really into 1m
check out www.theamya.org and see if someone is close by sailing
a 1m variant I think Jim Linville's club maybe up that way and they sail
a couple 1m variants.
Mike

ktm500mx is online now Find More Posts by ktm500mx
Old Aug 07, 2015, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Boomer1
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcswiney View Post
It look ok, has anyone sailed it or seen it sail?So now I have the seawind,Vela and Ragazza to choose from.which will do it guys?
Myles
Myles
There are very comprehensive dialogs on the Ragazza, the Vela and on the Seawind on this forum. Just type in the boats name in the search window in the sailboat section and you will find the information you are asking about.
I suspect that if the Seawind you experienced didn't sail to you liking, it very likely was not set up correctly. They sail quite well when set up properly. I have had several over the years and still enjoy mine. I had a Vela when they first came out and it had manufacturing defects, so I returned it. I think if you read the discussions on these boats, you'd discover the best of the three is the Seawind. It is not Fiberglass but holds up quite well - there are thousands of them around the world.

The reviews on each of these boats are worth while reading. I agree with "breakwater" that a "pre-owned Marblehead" would fit those needs you have provided.
I have a CR 914 in my collection and can share that the kits are not hard to build. Plus you can save some $$$ building your own should you consider getting one.

Ocean sailing requires a well sealed boat, set up properly to insure you have a problem free experience.

A great web site is stockmaritime.com a company that produces some very advance boats. http://stockmaritime.com/premium/

Here is another boat that might catch your interest. Check out this link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2445564
These are sailed pretty much in sea water and look pretty good!
http://www.hbrcsailboats.com/basic-boat/basic-boat

One more to tease your taste buds. The Sprinta http://www.ramoser.de/home_d/sprinta...inta_rc_d.html

This forum offers a wealth of information for anyone wanting to learn, or catch up etc. Just takes a little time to read through some of the discussions.

There are many choices - budget can be a limiting factor - Some of us are addicted to this hobby and others not so much. Check out the boat section in the forums classified section. Some good boats appear there on a regular bases. Worth a look see.

Check out the AMYA web site to review the boats listed there for your consideration,.

Best of luck and welcome back!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 07, 2015 at 09:00 PM.