HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2014, 07:12 AM
Joined Dec 2014
6 Posts
Help!
Turnigy 9x Basic Setup help please

Hello ,

I just got a new turnigy 9x for my "kraken" .

As you know the plane runs on two motors with separate ESC's connected by a Y-Harness to a single battery .

I have successfully binded the transmitter to the receiver.
Since mine is a Mode 2 transmitter . I changed the stick setting to mode 2 and changed the setting from Heli to Airplane .

Can someone help me setup the transmitter and receiver .

Which channels to connect on the receiver for throttle of both motors .

Which channel to connect for the two Ailerons.

And also how to setup differential thrust .

Regards
Requiem
RequiemKrak is offline Find More Posts by RequiemKrak
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2014, 01:58 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,949 Posts
I would love to help you, but i have been running er9x firmware so long i can't remember the original firmware setting! Generally, though you want one esc on channel 3 and the other on channel 5 (ailerons on 1, elevator on 2 and rudder on 4). I guess I should ask if you are using a rudder a rudder or the throttle differential as rudder.

Your best bet is to ask your question in the 9x thread in the radios forum further down the first page.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 25, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2014
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I would love to help you, but i have been running er9x firmware so long i can't remember the original firmware setting! Generally, though you want one esc on channel 3 and the other on channel 5 (ailerons on 1, elevator on 2 and rudder on 4). I guess I should ask if you are using a rudder a rudder or the throttle differential as rudder.

Your best bet is to ask your question in the 9x thread in the radios forum further down the first page.
My plane has two motors and two Ailerons , No Rudder . I want to use throttle Differential as rudder .
RequiemKrak is offline Find More Posts by RequiemKrak
Old Dec 26, 2014, 04:27 AM
West Wales
Joined Jun 2009
21 Posts
Simple solution is to buy a cheap 'V' tail mixer and use that Works a treat on my aircraft. Throttle on Elevator and rudder to rudder on input, ECS on each output. Job done.
John.E is offline Find More Posts by John.E
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
65 Posts
I haven't checked out the radio area of rc groups, so you might find everything you are looking for there. I have used a Turnigy 9x for the last 2 years using the stock firmware that it came with. (Version 2 ) I believe. It's a great radio with lots of computer mixes.

I can help you setup your 2 ailerons servos, however I think I just googled it and watched a you tube video that explained how to do it.

The Turnigy 9x is a fantastic radio that lots of folks us. However, in my experience, not many people use it with the stock firmware. Most people upgrade to EXR9, or whatever the newer firmware is called. However, this isn't super simple to do. It involves buying a smartypants board to install in the radio, or other various hacks to upgrade the firmware. You don't just plug it into your computer with a cord and 10 minutes later have a brand new radio. (As far as I can tell anyway.)

So while lots of people are using the radio, I'm not sure how many will be able to help you with advanced programming on a firmware not many people use.

I would setup the aileron servos as demonstrated on you tube, and then probably buy a v-tail mixer as John.E suggested. Hopefully those two solutions would work together.

The 9X has lots of cool features like 8 model memory, being able to setup v-tail mixing easily, Elvon mixing easily, flaperons if you want them, dual rates with exponential. So there is lots you can do with the stock firmware. However, once you get into much more complicated stuff I haven't read of too many guys using the stock firmware. I don't care cause I don't need it. Everything I have done so far has been simple enough the radio has done everything I need it to.
Nwtlakes is online now Find More Posts by Nwtlakes
Old Today, 04:00 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemKrak View Post
I just got a new turnigy 9x for my "kraken" .

As you know the plane runs on two motors with separate ESC's connected by a Y-Harness to a single battery .

I have successfully binded the transmitter to the receiver.
Since mine is a Mode 2 transmitter . I changed the stick setting to mode 2 and changed the setting from Heli to Airplane .
Mode1 = Model 1
Mode2 = Model 2

It is just that the 9x doesn't have very good graphics symantics the way it is set up. Also a reason to go ER9x.

I hope you have (or they have) removed one of the postive power wires from one of the ESCs.

Quote:
Which channels to connect on the receiver for throttle of both motors .
Using an elevon splitter -

Sensibly it will still be Ch 3 for the throttle and using an elevon controller (<$US5), the rudder Ch 4 will be the other other input to the elevon controller. The outputs will go to each ESC.

Quote:
Which channel to connect for the two Ailerons.
Ch1. This could also be Y harnessed in instead of the rudder to the elevon splitter/controller. In this case don't bother using a rudder (or does it not have one anyway?).

Ch 2 for the elevator.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Today, 07:05 AM
Joined Nov 2014
1 Posts
Hello.

So I woud recomend the following setup:

left aileron/elevon channel 1
right aileron/elevon channel 2
left engine ESC channel 3
right engine ESC channel 5
- Create new model
- Type select - ACRO
- Mode name - KRAKEN for example
- Stick set - MODE2, thurst reverse - exit
- Func setting
- On the second page left collumn full down ELEVON
- On the elevon page: state-act, ail1-50 50, ail2-50 50, ele1-50, ele2-(-50) you may have to change singns depending on your servo orientation.
- On the second page, right column PROG.MIX
- mix1: state act, master thr, slave aux (the first one), offset 0, uprate 100, dnrate 100, sw on
- mix2: state act, master rud, slave thr, offset 0, uprate 100, dnrate 100, sw on
- mix3: state act, master rud, slave aux (the first one), offset 0, uprate 100, dnrate 100, sw on
- On the second page, right column AUX-CH
- Set CH5 to PIT TRIM (the first aux channel is PIT TRIM)

Take this please as a start point only. You have to personalize it for yourself depending on your servo orientation and throws.

Have a nice day.
GunHed is offline Find More Posts by GunHed
Old Today, 03:52 PM
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Nov 2012
65 Posts
Gunhed,

Is the above programming specifically for the stock 9x firmware? And it is for setting up two aileron servos and differential power to the two motors controlled by the rudder stick? If that is what you have written out here I will definitely give it a try on one of my twins.....
Nwtlakes is online now Find More Posts by Nwtlakes