HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2012, 01:21 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxnut View Post
"Only 38 inches" ??? Pour some Miracle Grow on it and make it 64 inches, then freeze dry it until it is 26 inches and call it the "Slick-ette" I double-dog-dare-ya.
Haha, that sounds dangerous.. But on a double-dog-dare I just might.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:39 AM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00ber420 View Post
fuse halves werent seperated so needed to cut by the tail section
Mine wasn't either, easy fix though.

The parts came back in stock and shipped out last week. It'll still probably take another week or two for them to get here though, starting to get a little antsy. I decided on the paint scheme I'm going to try on my slicko. I think I'll glue the horizontal sections together first with the wood to ensure there are no little gaps in the paint.

Hey 3flyguy3, what paint did you end up using for the orange on your slicko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I plan on starting into a new design soon. Get Real has some cool stuff in the works that I might have to borrow from We had done some testing on a 38" Slicko some time ago. I'm thinking something like that might be next.
Both a bigger and lightweight micro version sound nice. You might also want to try an airfoil on the big one.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Last edited by Rayne; Jul 29, 2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Got a quick flight in the yard on 3s,will have to fly the slicko in a more open area to really have fun with it. This was the first flight on the pack and i wanted to see how long the flight time would be under heavy throttle usage.. 5 minutes plus on a 370mah 3s pack.

Slicko EPP 3s Flight (5 min 38 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Got a quick flight in the yard on 3s,will have to fly the slicko in a more open area to really have fun with it. This was the first flight on the pack and i wanted to see how long the flight time would be under heavy throttle usage.. 5 minutes plus on a 370mah 3s pack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBm-fEaCT5g&feature=plcp
That looks like a lot of fun. I didn't realize the slicko also doubled as a tree trimming tool.

What power setup are you using on yours?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
I can't do that with my batteries...old batteries suck..I have sucky batteries. What battery were you using, what motor, and what is your weight without battery. I have no where near that kind of RPM or punch out. I need batteries, but don't know what to buy. Using a Cell-Pro 4S charger BTW.
Can you do a pic of where and how you mount your battery ?
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:45 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
271 Posts
hells yeah

finally got mine built and maidened, i work a lot so i really got to do 30 mins here and there!

Anyways, heres some pics of how i tucked my rx behind the rear fuse stiffeners, vert stiffners etc..
n00ber420 is offline Find More Posts by n00ber420
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
271 Posts
while maidening noticed under heavy elevator use i would get some sideways action, so the tail section went under the knife.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
271 Posts
cg right here, flies nice between the 2 servos, slightly tail happy
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:29 PM
One more flight...
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Aug 2008
271 Posts
for what its worth i uploaded to youtube a vid of my maiden, also my first flight in about 1 year
rcpb slicko maiden (3 min 3 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
3flyguy3, I'd start at about 50% expo on all surfaces on high rates. That should smooth things out quite a bit. I wanted the Slicko to be tame on low rates and insane on high rates.
Khen (or anyone), if you suggest 50% on high rates what do you suggest for low rates? I currently have 70% expo on low and 100% on high. I put 50% on high as suggested but the deflection was less than the low rate.
I'm beginning to think I don't understand dual rates and expo like I thought I did.

I understood expo to mean the throw happens slower ("curve") if expo is dialed in. Say for instance, 70% expo moves the surface slower than 30%. Expo is not the amount of deflection. Is that wrong?

Maybe that's not coming out right but it makes sense in my head but now my thoughts seem wrong.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:21 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Khen (or anyone), if you suggest 50% on high rates what do you suggest for low rates? I currently have 70% expo on low and 100% on high. I put 50% on high as suggested but the deflection was less than the low rate.
I'm beginning to think I don't understand dual rates and expo like I thought I did.

I understood expo to mean the throw happens slower ("curve") if expo is dialed in. Say for instance, 70% expo moves the surface slower than 30%. Expo is not the amount of deflection. Is that wrong?

Maybe that's not coming out right but it makes sense in my head but now my thoughts seem wrong.
Here are a couple videos that help explain how d/r and expo work. The first goes through d/r, the second one expo. By the way what paint did you use for the orange on your slicko?

Transmitter Dual Rate and Expo Theory, Part 1 of 2 (8 min 28 sec)

Transmitter Dual Rate and Expo Theory, Part 2 of 2 (10 min 46 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Here are a couple videos that help explain how d/r and expo work. The first goes through d/r, the second one expo. By the way what paint did you use for the orange on your slicko?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9vWmRncdws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoNtTVs9i5M
Thanks! I forgot about these videos. So I guess what I was thinking was correct. Probably didn't transfer from my brain to my fingers as well.
I used Rustoleum 2X.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Last edited by 3flyguy3; Jul 29, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Rayne,im using a 2206 1500kv outrunner,12amp esc,dura thrust 8x4.3 prop,3s 370mah nanotech pack. I'll do some more tree trimming when i can .

Maxxnut,i'll get some pics posted later when i have time,cut out 4 planes this week and have flown 3 plus the slicko and some other stuff so been busy. I'll be flying the 2205 outrunner next week,i do have larger 3s packs as well that should have slightly more punch and ofcourse longer flight times but the 370 packs are only a few grams heavier and slightly taller than the 2s packs i run so they fit in the same cut out as 2s 440-460 packs(just slightly more snug and balance isnt affected much).

3flyguy3,i run 50% expo on high rates usually(45 degree plus throws) and 25-30% expo on low rates,usually 30 degrees throws or what looks about right. High rates should be set for about 45 degrees of surface throw on most 3d foamies,expo amount used is a personal preference,some may use more or less than i do with the same high rate throws. To much expo makes a plane feel mushy in the air.. less precise and not as quick to respond.. to little expo on high rates and a plane is overly sensitive to small stick movements and very twitchy in the air. Ideally most will want a plane to be gentle and smooth to small imputs yet quick and responsive when full stick movements are applied. Low rates are a gentle comfy zone.. still enough throw for loops and rolls and aerobatic type flying but a bit more relaxing on the sticks for the pilot and usually a safe zone for those new to 3d planes that have flown sport flyers etc and are not quite use to having 45 degree throws and massive pitch,roll and yaw authority in a plane. Hope that helps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:24 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
Slicko Gear Im Flying

Heres some pics,NOTE: my scale is accurate to plus or minus 1 gram and has been accurate enough for me.. im not gonna sweat a couple grams on any plane over 4oz. The slicko is a big plane when it comes to the 32'' size epp planes(see pic next to a 32'' more common size epp 3D plane). I have the original carbon kit version with the added bracing and its well worth any weight added for the rigidity it gives the wing.. especially during faster flying and high energy moves. Im glad the carbon upgrade will still be offered for those that want it now that the wood spar kits are being produced.. yes carbon does require more effort during the assembly but its well worth it to me(especially when running 3s set ups). Im using heavier than spec servos in mine,Power HD 9g on ailerons,two 6g's for the tail. Im using landing gear as well as the ply motor mount and pie pieces to strengthen the nose,the wheels im using are larger and heavier and i made small bearing,hubs for them but they total the same weight with gear legs as the original gear with wheel pants and fairings so no weight lost or gained by that. Took these pics tonight.. this is the exact set up and gear i used in the 3s video posted above.. the slicko was flown on the 3s 370mah nanotech pack in the video above but ive included pics of the other packs ive flown and there weights. Note the 330mah 3s Pro pack has velcro on it(roughly 1g of added weight). I've responded to all questions here in the forum and that i received privately on rcg and elsewhere as well about the slicko. I try to be thorough when its called for,I.E specs,weights etc. See included pics,i also did an impromptu video build of the slicko carbon kit when i got it months ago and made it public recently since it may be helpful to those new to epp planes and the assembly. NOTE:the paper build manual wasnt completely finished at the time. I got my slicko kit a little before the manuals were done but it wasnt a concern for me so the last couple steps i included pics in the video,it was built at night and flown the next day by myself as well as local pilots and people really liked it,the most noted feedback at the indoor venue was it flew very precise and it was very crisp in snap rolls and rigid,some thought i was flying a depron plane during the maiden and came up and asked me what is was made of. Hope that helps
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2012, 02:59 AM
Hoarding balsa is a sickness
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,201 Posts
Thanks for all the pics and info, looks like I am right in the ball park with mine, and I think my son's yellow one will be a little lighter. I am enjoying flying in the wind with mine, doing rolls while moving backwards is just too strange,
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut