HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyOne View Post
I've also heard and read plenty of positive comments about the X2. I just haven't heard much about the X2 4 m. I love my X1 4 m, so I probably shouldn't even be thinking about an X2, but you know how it is with sailplanes.

George
Xp2 wing profile is so much more dymanic than Xp2. profile... One cannot compare then directly. In faster distance flight, when Xp1 starts to suffer in a bad way, Xp2 just goes :-)

Both planes will go up in a thermal. Also remember that structures have gotten much better since the Xp1 was introduced. We are now flying 10-15% (even more) lighter planes for same strength. You can also fly Xp2 with much less ballast. Light weight usually helps when in thermal.

And if everything else fails, add 2mm more camber
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:20 PM
USA, TX, Mansfield
Joined Aug 2004
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79 View Post
I've found the X2 to be fairly accepting of a wide range of camber in launch, from none to over 15mm measured at the flap root.

Just start with something like 10-12mm at the flap root and dial in your elevator trim to get it where you want. A lot of guys jam the hook as far back as they can get it. Mine is about 4mm rear of the middle of the slot. I have about 13mm of camber full span and it pulls hard and launches as good as anyone would want.

I got two good days of dialing in the x2. No pop-offs after reducing trailing edge drop and some down elevator. Really enjoying the plane. Flew it in no wind and winds that built to around 20 without ballast. The plane moved around reasonably well given the winds. Loving it!! I think it's THE value in the crop of newer ships.

Rob
onemetre is offline Find More Posts by onemetre
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:23 PM
RIP MC
United States, CA, Midway City
Joined Dec 2003
3,383 Posts
Has anyone traced out the end panel of an X2 for airfoil comparisons yet? Care to send me a copy? ?
fnnwizard is offline Find More Posts by fnnwizard
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:44 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
866 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=101
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106
roydor is offline Find More Posts by roydor
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,383 Posts
Finally got my hands on a couple X2 - 3.8s. No time to take a close look yet, but has anyone tried flying this new 3.8 with the 3.5 stabs yet?

If I recall correctly, when I had the orignal 3.8's, the cg felt perfect at 118-120mm with the 3.5 stabs. I'm thinking the newer X2's should behave the same. And yes, definitely smaller stabs for me on the 3.8's .
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:44 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnnwizard View Post
Finally got my hands on a couple X2 - 3.8s. No time to take a close look yet, but has anyone tried flying this new 3.8 with the 3.5 stabs yet?

If I recall correctly, when I had the orignal 3.8's, the cg felt perfect at 118-120mm with the 3.5 stabs. I'm thinking the newer X2's should behave the same. And yes, definitely smaller stabs for me on the 3.8's .

I have both stab sets - a standard 3.8 MKII and a SL with the larger stab - I rn them both at 124 and it rocks

I can feel the difference int he LZ with the larger stabs - its larger all the way for me.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,895 Posts
I'm gonna put 4.0 stabs on mine, if i ever get one!
I LOVE J Lo....

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,470 Posts
Here we go...

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:38 PM
Flightcomp.com
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2006
1,720 Posts
I'm going to test some DLG stabs on my X2 soon, also I will be testing some 3.5 tips I modified to fit on the vertical to see if bigger is really better.
ak79 is online now Find More Posts by ak79
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:10 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,097 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to test some DLG stabs on my X2 soon, also I will be testing some 3.5 tips I modified to fit on the vertical to see if bigger is really better.
Actually I already tried that - you will get really familiar with dual rates on your elevator

I also already tried just one half of one smaller stab for my SSL version. REsults might vary... ok I tried that by accident, its quite important to tape those little suckers together.

No X's were harmed in any of this.
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,847 Posts
Quote:
I am in TEXAS... and BIGGER is always BETTER!!!!!
schrederman is online now Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:09 PM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,383 Posts
X-1 vs X-2 foil comparisons.
A quick look. I need to mention that the TE of the 2 are not "aligned" as in the co-ordinates are not rotated to give exact reference points.

I won't bore most on here with the analytics as I have in the original X thread .
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:19 AM
RIP MC
Joined Dec 2003
3,383 Posts
Here's a quick plot of the 3.5 X1 vs X2 in its natural foils.
The analysis suggests that the X2's can achieve absolute lower sink at min sink speed (within 3mph range, 1.5m/s), but suffers vs the X1 up until past 30mph (13m/s).

In other words it can hang a bit better, but can move about better when flying over 30mph.

Seems to correlate well with most of the flight reports on here so far. One can say the foil is optimized for the "extremes" of F3J...i.e. either to maximize climb, or come on home fast (against the wind).

I'll have to see how the foil reacts at the various typical camber and reflex positions. I wish NAN would post these types of info.
Last edited by fnnwizard; Dec 27, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
X2 airfoil data

Hi Tuan,,,

while your away from the christmas tree now,,,,, Id like to get the theoretical data for the "max" camber reflex position at a zooming speed.
Is that possible mr wizard ? Richard
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
question

fnnwizard; With a unpublished airfoil and the fact that it (airfoil) changes from root to tip, how do you run such polar graphs? I'm trying to do the same thing with a changing airfoil, but having difficulties...
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY