SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 03, 2014, 03:27 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem Fodder View Post
DZ, wing washout is essentially reducing the angle of attack of the wing out near the tips. This enables the wing near the wing root to stall before the outboard wing does and softens the stall. Aileron function is still maintained during the stall.

Here is a good link about wing washout.

http://www.mnbigbirds.com/images/PDF...%204_21_12.pdf

I achieved washout by adding two nylon washers about 1mm thick each under the trailing edge side of the struts. This effectively lowers the leading edge to obtain the desired washout. This does place a bit of extra pressure where the struts mount to the fuselage, so pay attention down there as you might have to add some glue to prevent the plastic strut mount plate from separating from the fuse.

BTW, man that really does suck to find the only tree in the flying area!
Thanks, yeah the tree strike was my own stupidity. Just not accustomed to flying the larger planes in this field, my depth perception was lacking being used to the micro planes. Next time I'll need to adjust my position to take that tree out of play.
deadzone is online now Find More Posts by deadzone
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
After looking at it again, I think I'm going to take a crack at repairing it before giving up. Looks like I could repair the nose with glue, then maybe will use some of that CF rod I purchased to reinforce it. Do you think Gorrilla glue would be good for gluing on the firewall? Or is Epoxy better?

Beyond that, the landing gear is bent badly, I'll see if I can straighten it out with pliers. Several punctures to the foam including the wing, will atempt to use the foam filler putty to smooth them out.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:12 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,121 Posts
Epoxy would be my choice for that repair. Hopefully the breaks were clean. Epoxy works well for that if the break is clean and the parts mate tightly. I like Gorrila Glue where I need to fill gaps. GG works well for CF rods too. The picture is from my Alfa Tempest that cracked the nose up after a hard landing last summer. The CF is laid flat to the foam with GG and held in place with light clamps until the glue set. What you cant see is the CF that is also glued to the upper surface on the inside.

If you can fix it then at least you can fly the heck out of it with no fear!
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:04 PM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
Quote:
Epoxy would be my choice for that repair. Hopefully the breaks were clean. Epoxy works well for that if the break is clean and the parts mate tightly. I like Gorrila Glue where I need to fill gaps. GG works well for CF rods too. The picture is from my Alfa Tempest that cracked the nose up after a hard landing last summer. The CF is laid flat to the foam with GG and held in place with light clamps until the glue set. What you cant see is the CF that is also glued to the upper surface on the inside.

If you can fix it then at least you can fly the heck out of it with no fear!
For the Cub, the only obvious place I was going to add CF was horizontally behind the firewall right along the section that separates the battery compartment from ESC. Maybe one rod both above and below that section of foam. Would you add CF along the fuselage too? If so, how long? You could obviously put one end at the firewall, but not sure where the other end would go.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 08:40 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,121 Posts
The Cub is made of an entirely different foam compound than the Tempest in the picture. The foam in the Tempest is essentially the same as meat packaging trays. It definitely benefits from having CF reinforcement. Not so sure with the Cub. Short lengths could be pressed into the foam to bridge a break line, but I doubt running full length strips would be of much benefit. Likely cause more headaches trying to install it.

Been reading up a bit on covering foam with a film like Monokote. I may get ambitious one day and recover the Cub to give it a new lease on life...............
Old Mar 04, 2014, 12:25 PM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
Quote:
The Cub is made of an entirely different foam compound than the Tempest in the picture. The foam in the Tempest is essentially the same as meat packaging trays. It definitely benefits from having CF reinforcement. Not so sure with the Cub. Short lengths could be pressed into the foam to bridge a break line, but I doubt running full length strips would be of much benefit. Likely cause more headaches trying to install it.

Been reading up a bit on covering foam with a film like Monokote. I may get ambitious one day and recover the Cub to give it a new lease on life...............
I went ahead and glued the nose and firewall back together using Gorilla glue I had in the house (didn't have any Epoxy on hand). Anyway, once that began to set, it turned out pretty sturdy. I don't think I'm going need any CF support afterall. The firewall itself provides adequate support in both directions. There is some missing foam on the front side of the firewall but that wont' affect strucutural integrity and will be covered up by the cowling so I won't bother fixing that.

I also finally got around to buying some brass tubing for my 2.5" Dubro wheels. This will allow them to spin freely once and for all. I was making takeoffs and landing harder than they needed to be with my poor wheel setup.

Last step before I try to fly this again, I'm going to get some foam filler to patch up a few puntures and rough areas on the wing and fuselage.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Feb 2014
7 Posts
Time to order batteries. I am torn between 1500 and 1800s. I know the 1500 I want will fit, and its roughly 1oz heaver than stock. the 1800s on the other hand Im not 100% it will fit. the width and height will fit but the length is 106MM will that fit in the bay? I have no problem moving the esc. another issue is the 1800 is almost 2oz heaver than the stock battery. Im not at home right now to look at the plane but how much weight is there stuck on the front? Will I have to add weight to the tail to get a decent CG with the 1800? Id rather the bigger battery for run time, having the capacity for an upgrade down the road, and that they are more useful for me in the other RCs if the plane thing doesn't work.

if you care here are links to the batteries.

The_ocho is offline Find More Posts by The_ocho
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:29 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,121 Posts
There are 3 chunks of dead weight under the cowling, if you can get a larger battery to offset the useless nose weights than do what you can to put them in there, including removing the weights! My 1500 mah packs are 86 mm long and fit inside the battery cavity with no problems at all. Easy 10 minutes of flight time with room to spare for go arounds in the event of a botched landing approach.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:25 AM
Joined Feb 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
There are 3 chunks of dead weight under the cowling, if you can get a larger battery to offset the useless nose weights than do what you can to put them in there, including removing the weights! My 1500 mah packs are 86 mm long and fit inside the battery cavity with no problems at all. Easy 10 minutes of flight time with room to spare for go arounds in the event of a botched landing approach.
Yeah ditching those weights is the idea. why have dead weight when you could use it. I ended up getting the 1500s. they were $8 each so I grabbed 3.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:37 AM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_ocho View Post
Time to order batteries. I am torn between 1500 and 1800s. I know the 1500 I want will fit, and its roughly 1oz heaver than stock. the 1800s on the other hand Im not 100% it will fit. the width and height will fit but the length is 106MM will that fit in the bay? I have no problem moving the esc. another issue is the 1800 is almost 2oz heaver than the stock battery. Im not at home right now to look at the plane but how much weight is there stuck on the front? Will I have to add weight to the tail to get a decent CG with the 1800? Id rather the bigger battery for run time, having the capacity for an upgrade down the road, and that they are more useful for me in the other RCs if the plane thing doesn't work.

if you care here are links to the batteries.

Those Turnigy 1500s might be a tight squeeze in the height department at 24mm. Let us know how it goes. Here are the 1800s I just bought from Motion RC, these fit fine but are a little tight length wise
http://www.motionrc.com/admiral-1800...-lipo-battery/
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:42 AM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
Okay, just got my Cub put back together. Everything works fine and the landing gear and wheels are better than ever with the brass tubing. I also glued the tail to the fuselage as it is way too loose. Nose glued together okay, only concern I have is if the thrust angle could have got changed, will have to keep an eye on that when I fly it next. Overall the nose and motor mount seem sturdy, although I don't know if this could take another full on nose dive.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:27 PM
Joined Feb 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
Those Turnigy 1500s might be a tight squeeze in the height department at 24mm. Let us know how it goes. Here are the 1800s I just bought from Motion RC, these fit fine but are a little tight length wise
http://www.motionrc.com/admiral-1800...-lipo-battery/
Its only 2MM bigger than the stock battery which is 67 35 22. I have no doubt that ill fit in there though It may be tight
Old Mar 05, 2014, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_ocho View Post
Its only 2MM bigger than the stock battery which is 67 35 22. I have no doubt that ill fit in there though It may be tight
That's the thing, there is not a lot of breathing room with the stock battery (between battery and door) so it might be very tight.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2014
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
That's the thing, there is not a lot of breathing room with the stock battery (between battery and door) so it might be very tight.
The tab that holds on the forward side of the door is excessively big. I planned to take some of the styrene I have laying around and making a new tab like on this page

http://2bfly.com/reviews/flyzone-sel...er-cub-review/
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:57 PM
Joined Oct 2013
620 Posts
You guys know a touch up paint that is good match for the Flyzone Cub? Now that I got mine back together, would like to repaint the bad spots eventually. I bought one from the LHS awhile ago and it is way off so I'm not going to buy another one until I know it is nearly an exact match.