HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:11 AM
Joined Jan 2014
144 Posts
Discussion
inexpensive landing gear for 32" 3D foamies?

I am looking for inexpensive landing gear options for the Twisted Crack Yak - standard plane...one is not included with the kit and the recommended one is almost $20.

Any bolt on options out there that are lower cost?

THX
Kooshball is offline Find More Posts by Kooshball
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2014, 09:53 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,632 Posts
I built one out of light music wire for my Crack Yak. It was just OK. Wanted it primarily for looks as I included small wheel pants. Could barely ROG with it on...smooth runway only, no grass. Mostly hand launch. If you use wire, select a size that will barely keep it off the ground. To stiff and it results in damage when landing.

On my Pitts I have the TH gear set up. Well designed. Worth the expense.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:44 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I have the 1" Landing Gear Wheel Set. You will also need one 2mm x 1000mm Carbon Fiber Rod to cut down for the gear legs. I've found 7" - 7x1/2" are a good length for the legs.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Feb 24, 2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: corrected rod size
Old Feb 24, 2014, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2014
150 Posts
Do you really need LG? Often we go putting LG on small planes without really thinking about the necessity. Most fly better without LG, you have less weight so your performance is better and flight times are longer. Also many bad landings with LG result in damage to your plane as either the gear rips the fus, or the LG/wheels hit the wing.
Dwayn is offline Find More Posts by Dwayn
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 24, 2014, 02:33 PM
Joined Jan 2014
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I have the 1" Landing Gear Wheel Set. You will also need one 2mm x 10000mm Carbon Fiber Rod to cut down for the gear legs. I've found 7" - 7x1/2" are a good length for the legs.
I think you may have an extra zero in your rod measurement...

Will that length rod ship for a reasonable price, and / or could it be cut in half and then shipped at a reasonable price?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 02:54 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooshball View Post
I think you may have an extra zero in your rod measurement...

Will that length rod ship for a reasonable price, and / or could it be cut in half and then shipped at a reasonable price?
Oops, corrected the rod length. I ship my carbon fiber for the same price as my small parts at $2 within the lower 48 states. It will be more if you are elsewhere.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Feb 24, 2014, 03:26 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayn View Post
Do you really need LG? Often we go putting LG on small planes without really thinking about the necessity. Most fly better without LG, you have less weight so your performance is better and flight times are longer. Also many bad landings with LG result in damage to your plane as either the gear rips the fus, or the LG/wheels hit the wing.
I think it is necessary. I like hovering onto walls and landing on roofs and taking back off again LOL. And I like going from a hover to land on the fence.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:08 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
I ordered the carbon rod and wheel sets from rcpb back when the crack yak came out and made my own. If you search the attachments in the crack yak thread pics of the mounting points etc should come up on the first page or two of attachments. Some 3mm epp or 6mm scrap etc makes nice wheel fairings and wheel pants to.

Crack Yak Front Room Flying (2 min 59 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:50 PM
Joined Jan 2014
144 Posts
Thanks guys