SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:39 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
im going to get a watt meter so i hope to be able to know whats going on there. how many amps can you put through the stock motor without harm? i rarely fly WOT so i was hoping it might work. thoughts?
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:37 PM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,413 Posts
I did check the amps. It was fine, but I don't remember what it was and Since the plane is hanging in winter storage, I am not gonna check it again right now.
nageotte is offline Find More Posts by nageotte
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:46 PM
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Jun 2012
349 Posts
Has anyone mounted a go pro on the jug?
bladeguy5 is online now Find More Posts by bladeguy5
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:05 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
i guess i was mistaken about the way the electronics function in these set ups. i was thinking that the esc was the limiting factor in allowing the motor to use a big prop. not that the esc was going to give it to much juice and kill the motor. still trying to figure this stuff out as i am quite new... thanks for educating me on this. would it be better to go smaller esc or bigger motor to turn a 4 blade? i am not looking for full time WOT just want to cruise around no more than 3/4 max with a 4 blade. thanks, walt. cool shirt i found too!.
Last edited by walter3rd; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:22 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
im going to get a watt meter so i hope to be able to know whats going on there. how many amps can you put through the stock motor without harm? i rarely fly WOT so i was hoping it might work. thoughts?
Nobody knows the limit on the BL15 motor, as parkzone doesn't provide any relevant specs. But experience here has shown that its probably less than 40A.

Experience also shows that once you get this plane in the air, you'll be using a lot more WOT than you thought you would

Personally, I think you need to get you draw below 40A at WOT for this motor. I would go over to eCalc.ch and plug in numbers for the jug. Use the pre-defined e-flite power 15 motor (they don't have the bl15 since no specs are available). Then start playing with propeller sizes and pitches to get your amps down, while keeping the pitch speed up and thrust to weight above 1.

If you're not attached to this motor, then buy the 710kv turnigy g25 motor and go for the hobby lobby 11" 4 blade prop. I think that's what people are using for that prop on this plane. Check the search function on this thread, and run those numbers through eCalc as well.

And do buy that watt meter.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:28 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i guess i was mistaken about the way the electronics function in these set ups. i was thinking that the esc was the limiting factor in allowing the motor to use a big prop. not that the esc was going to give it to much juice and kill the motor. still trying to figure this stuff out as i am quite new... thanks for educating me on this. would it be better to go smaller esc or bigger motor to turn a 4 blade? i am not looking for full time WOT just want to cruise around no more than 3/4 max with a 4 blade. thanks, walt. cool shirt i found too!.
Well, I think you want the amps down. If they stay high even if you have equipment that can handle it, you'll end up with short flight times.

The easiest way to do that is by selecting a smaller dia prop, or less pitch. Using a lower Kv motor will also do this, but at reduced performance with the same prop. Basically, just start trying things in eCalc.

Or, you can go the easy route and just use the stock setup with the E300 prop. Leaving your upgraded ESC in there won't hurt anything.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, NJ, Newark
Joined Nov 2005
2,061 Posts
I think even 40amps is too much to keep up with this motor... maybe around 35 with propper cooling
BlinkguY is online now Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:01 PM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,413 Posts
The ESC will not force any current on the motor or from the battery. Both the battery and the ESC simply make the power available. The motor draws what ever current it needs. With a bigger prop or more pitch the motor must work harder(more current) But there is a limit to how much work it can do. If you exceed that limit on the motor, or ask for more current than the ESC or battery can provide, one of the three will fail. You need a motor that can do enough work, and an ESC and battery that will give the motor as much current as it wants. It is a matched system. Even a mismatch such as a much larger ESC than you need will eat into your efficiency and draw down the battery.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,567 Posts
thanks for this education. i apreciate all the guidence. i m going to run the stock setup for a bit with extra 300 prop that is on there now, but i know i want to go hobby lobby 4 blade at some point and thought the bigger esc was a must. i now see a bigger motor will be required as well. i am going to stay with 3 cell batts so that wont change. i will go to ecalc and try to figure it out there as well. watt meter is backordered! pain!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:49 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,413 Posts
Walter, FYI the four blade comes set at a pitch of 10 and despite the advertising, the minimum Was about 6 or 7 with their pitch guage.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
flying is everything
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Oct 2010
273 Posts
@ walter I run a Hobby-lobby 9.5x10x4 with a turnigy g25 710 kv an ice lite 75amp esc a castle 10amp bec on a 4s set up and i love it. its fast when i want it and i fly between 1/2 to 3/4 and at half im as fast as a stock set up at wot i have over 30 flights with this power set up and it runs great.
jdm2ner is offline Find More Posts by jdm2ner
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2ner View Post
@ walter I run a Hobby-lobby 9.5x10x4 with a turnigy g25 710 kv an ice lite 75amp esc a castle 10amp bec on a 4s set up and i love it. its fast when i want it and i fly between 1/2 to 3/4 and at half im as fast as a stock set up at wot i have over 30 flights with this power set up and it runs great.
Did you put that on a Wattmeter and see what you are pulling?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:10 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
Hi everybody! Another P-47 guy here trying to put a 4 blade prop on. I have a Durafly 10.5X7.5X4 blade that wont go past the threads on the stock adapter from PZ. Where can I find the compression type adapter that is just 5mm long period? I dont want to drill the prop....I wonder if the HL 5mm adapter would work? Thanks for any help you can give...

Paul
Wild Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Wild Deuce
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:18 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
you can get a prop reamer at any hobby shop. The size for PZ props is 8mm.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:48 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2012
154 Posts
That's a great idea...ok 8mm on the smooth part behind the threads....thanks! When you ream a prop I'm guessing I need to rebalance...

Paul
Wild Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Wild Deuce