HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2004, 01:04 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,930 Posts
"The Plan Page"

Take a look, there are free plans and instructions for building many popular and obscure rubber models that could be converted to electric power. To print out plans, set up your printer for 8 1/2X14 and size 100% (not "fit to page").

http://www.theplanpage.com/index.htm
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2004, 01:22 PM
Mississauga, Ontario
Joined Mar 2003
696 Posts
That's one of my favorite sites! I expecially like the North American Navion from that page. Check out this P-40 by JIMA. It was made from the plans in the Earl Stahl section of that website. Just shows what you can do with these plans!
The Max-Q is offline Find More Posts by The Max-Q
Old Dec 31, 2004, 02:37 PM
Crossville Memorial, Tennesse, United States
Joined Jul 2003
204 Posts
Stahl Navion & others

Bob Holman lists plans and laser cut parts for the Stahl Navion, Taylorcraft, & others. Check the "AMA & Scale" link at

http://www.bhplans.com/oldtime.htm

John
JohnBlankenship is offline Find More Posts by JohnBlankenship
Old Dec 31, 2004, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
You are all right on target. Nice P-40. I have surfed these pages again and again looking through all of their gems. I keep hoping to find the plans for an old Schweizer 1-7 or 1-19 or even the primary glider here.

Has anyone built the Aeronca K or the Stahl O37 Grasshopper who can post pictures or stories?

Tom Martin
TMRC
mmartin55 is offline Find More Posts by mmartin55
Old Dec 31, 2004, 04:03 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,663 Posts
I have a 125% Fairchild 24 half-built from Earl Stahl's plans downloaded from the Plan Page. There's a thread on this build in this forum, and I should finally be able to post some pictures in a day or two.

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 31, 2004, 04:18 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
Gary does a great job keeping new stuff coming every month on the planpage. He's also one heck of free flight modeller. I've flown with him at some indoor sessions and his stuff always flies great and he's always willing help those of us who are gravity challenged.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:55 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,323 Posts
A one season vet. 200% Earl Stahl, from the plan page.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Jan 01, 2005, 01:39 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Yes the Plans Page is a great site, both my SE5 and Bristol F2b are from blown up copies of the numerous plans found there. Has anyone yet done the the Stahl Albatross D5a? It's very stringer intensive but looks pretty nice.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 01, 2005, 03:38 AM
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looooeeee!
Yes the Plans Page is a great site, both my SE5 and Bristol F2b are from blown up copies of the numerous plans found there. Has anyone yet done the the Stahl Albatross D5a? It's very stringer intensive but looks pretty nice.

Looee
I started building an Albatross DVa on Tuesday. I have used a set of Earl Stahl Plans enlarged by 141% and done modifications from free flight to RC.

I have been changing it as I go as I think up different ways of building. I thought I would replace the tissue covering on the fuse with polystyrene but then thought planking would be better but might add weight. I thought I would use 1/32 balsa for the planking. Any suggestions on what would be better? I have not yet built up a round (compound) fuse and am open to suggextions. Besides what sort of finish would I use for the foam covering if I go that way?

Anyway I have posted pics of the build and will continue to do so as I build.

First pic is of my recently cleaned workbench with plans laid out.

Second pic is all the formers cut ready to go.

Third pic is the first side of the fuse going together.

Final pic is the completed (sort of) fuse over the plan. The Albatross in the top corner is my reference give or take a few details.

So far The tail feathers and fin/ rudder are made and the wings are next up on the board ready to be put together tommorrow.

The span is about 650 mm and I am aiming for an all up weight of about 220 grams with all the gear. 3 channel with IPS GWS motor. 7 x 5 prop and hitech feather RX with GWS 5 amp ESC.

The span is a bit small but I hope by being a bi-plane there will be enough wing area.

I'll keep the pics coming.

Dom
DomDom is offline Find More Posts by DomDom
Old Jan 01, 2005, 09:28 AM
Joined Mar 2004
2,410 Posts
Most excellent. I love it. Better close that drawer before you suffer and on-the-hobby injury!

Tom
mmartin55 is offline Find More Posts by mmartin55
Old Jan 01, 2005, 09:49 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,323 Posts
Steve
Last edited by St. Martin; Jan 03, 2005 at 05:18 AM. Reason: stupid idea
Old Jan 01, 2005, 10:17 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,920 Posts
Great photos of your build Dom, If you want you should start a new thread on it's construction. One thing that always struck me about this model is the stab-elev. seems rather large, as I think Mr. Stahl enlarged the tail surfaces for free flight. If you printed this out in MSPaint you can use the "Stretch-Skew" function to reduce the area a bit closer to scale, although it will also shrink the opening for the fit of the fuselage sides also.

Looee
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 01, 2005, 05:38 PM
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
36 Posts
Thanks for the observation Looee. I should have checked my three views. The width of the tail plane is in fact much narrower than that shown on this plan. It looks like I will have to alter the build again. ( too bad i have already built the tail plane) It should be simple enough to re-make.

I will start a new thread when I get more photos. I'll post it in the scale electric section.
DomDom is offline Find More Posts by DomDom
Old Jan 02, 2005, 04:26 AM
Ay up it's warped
Derbyshire UK
Joined Feb 2003
1,304 Posts
More a sofware question this one. I have tried inputting the P40 plans into Autocad but can not get rid of the border to match the sheets up. How do you do this?
mtbrider is offline Find More Posts by mtbrider
Old Jan 02, 2005, 05:44 AM
Big gov never Works
Joined Jul 2002
12,323 Posts
I have a Lexmark printer. I used the "print as a multi-page poster" to get the desired size. I believe it was a 4page poster to get the 200%. Then taped the pages together. To get the opposite wing panel, I reversed the image horizontally.

Steve