HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:48 AM
Norway, Oppland, Jevnaker
Joined Jul 2013
41 Posts
Discussion
X3V screw glue or not?

I have a couple of X3V but have not been using screw glue on them. I had a issue with the screws for the swagarm to the mid-connector. Tried screw glue - but think I put on to much glue - and the screw broke inside the mid-connector - impossible to get out. New midconnector has been mounted but the screws were not in the screws package. Should be M1.4x10.

In the manual it does not tell if we should use screw glue on these screws.

I naturally have to check and thighten the screws regularly.

Someone also told me that on as thin as M1.4 screws - the glue is not neccessary.

But I also see that many says - always screw glew. (Metal to metal of course)

Any "best practice" on screwglueing the X3V?

Thanks
Stein
SteinHolstad is offline Find More Posts by SteinHolstad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:12 PM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinHolstad View Post
I have a couple of X3V but have not been using screw glue on them. I had a issue with the screws for the swagarm to the mid-connector. Tried screw glue - but think I put on to much glue - and the screw broke inside the mid-connector - impossible to get out. New midconnector has been mounted but the screws were not in the screws package. Should be M1.4x10.

In the manual it does not tell if we should use screw glue on these screws.

I naturally have to check and thighten the screws regularly.

Someone also told me that on as thin as M1.4 screws - the glue is not neccessary.

But I also see that many says - always screw glew. (Metal to metal of course)

Any "best practice" on screwglueing the X3V?

Thanks
Stein
I use "blue" (medium strength) Loctite 243. Not so strong so as to not be able to remove the screw, but strong enough to lock them in place for flying.

Cheers

MG
MightyG is online now Find More Posts by MightyG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: X3V (Blackie) For Sale
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:24 AM
Joined Jul 2013
41 Posts
Thanks..

I used 222 - low strength

243 - medium strength

So i think 222 is the right one to use on thin screws. But i did not apply any heat to the screws before taking them out - and i know i applied to much glue as well.

Found this link/pdf: http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_d...king_Guide.pdf

Cheers
Stein
Last edited by SteinHolstad; Jul 26, 2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:53 AM
MightyG
Joined Mar 2013
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteinHolstad View Post
Thanks..

I used 222 - low strength

243 - medium strength

So i think 222 is the right one to use on thin screws. But i did not apply any heat to the screws before taking them out - and i know i applied to much glue as well.

Found this link/pdf: http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_d...king_Guide.pdf

Cheers
Stein
Ah, nice guide... thanks for that. You definitely need to be sparing with the loctite, as you definitely don't want it getting into any of the bearings! Regardless of what strength you use, on the swagarm screws, just a tiny drop into the "out" end is enough, let it sink in a bit then wipe away the excess, remember to run the screw in and out a few mm a couple of time to spread it a bit as well. Not to far out or you run the risk of getting loctite in the swagarm bearing! Once the screws in place, wipe away any excess again. I've not had any issue's doing it this way and the screws are still removable without excessive force. I guess if you use 222 you'd run less risk of fracturing the screw when removing it though.

With regards to your old mid-connector, get a 0.7 mm drill bit into your drill or drill press and drill it out from the "in" end of the hole. This way the rotating force of the drill will also push out the left over screw. Once it's out then use some solvent to clean out the remaining loctite & thread. I've had to do this myself when one of the tail fin holding screws sheared on a hard landing.

Cheers

MG
MightyG is online now Find More Posts by MightyG
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: X3V (Blackie) For Sale
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:52 AM
Joined Jul 2013
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyG View Post
With regards to your old mid-connector, get a 0.7 mm drill bit into your drill or drill press and drill it out from the "in" end of the hole. This way the rotating force of the drill will also push out the left over screw. Once it's out then use some solvent to clean out the remaining loctite & thread. I've had to do this myself when one of the tail fin holding screws sheared on a hard landing.

Cheers

MG

HI

I'll get a 0,7mm drill bit somewhere and give it a try!!

Thanks for the glueing description!!
Stein
Last edited by SteinHolstad; Jul 26, 2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: misspelled