HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a 1S plane for indoor and park flights

Hi everyone!
First of all, this forum is awesome! I learned a lot reading it.

Here's my problem : I have a DX6i (no receiver, only transmitter) and I'm looking for a 1S bind and fly airplane. I have 10 1S batteries that I use for my Blade CPx, so I'd like to use that type of battery. I really like 4 channels plane, and that's what I'm looking for. A lot of people recommend the Ultra Micro T-28 Trojan BNF. Is there other choices then this plane?

Also, I read a little bit about EPP foamies, but I'm not ready to build one. Is there some EPP that are bind and fly? Or Plug and play? If they are PNP, I will have to buy the receiver for my DX6i?

Thanks for your help.
Sorry if I posted this thread in the wrong place...
franboud is offline Find More Posts by franboud
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
327 Posts
the trojan its not a living room flyer, 4ch....... the trojan is ok , here the complete list http://www.parkzone.com/UltraMicro/#pzbnf
chulian1819 is online now Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
I have heard a lot of good things about the UM Trojan, but I personally love the UM Mustang! (made by Parkzone)

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:36 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
The mini vapor can be flown almost any place indoors. For large indoor spaces like high school gyms the Trojan is fine but you should do your first flights out of doors under calm conditions in a large grassy field. You don't want to fly it indoors right off the bat because that first turn may come up sooner than you expect.

E-Flite also has planes that will bind to your DX6i. They tend to be hotter, mostly outdoor planes but some are very good planes. They're mostly 2S.

You shouldn't overlook the Champ, even though it comes with a Tx. It's a really nice beginners plane. I love flying mine and I am far from a beginner.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Thanks for your infos.

I will be flying it outside in a pretty big park. I would like the plane to be micro because I will also fly it indoor in a gym.

The Champ? Can I bind it to my DX6i?

For now I am planning to by :
- Night Vapor (for backyard flying)
- UM Trojan (but not sure about this one...)
- Of course, some spare parts...!

Thanks again.

Ps : What about EPP foamies? Is there a way to buy one ready to be plug with my receiver?
Last edited by franboud; Mar 15, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Forgot to talk about EPP...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:01 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
867 Posts
franboud,

What is your experience with flying airplanes?
What type of airplanes do you like?
What weather conditions will you be flying in?

The answers to these can help direct our recommendations of PNP and BNF planes for you.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
CorvetteC5, thanks for asking those questions. I should have answered them in the first message I wrote.

What is your experience with flying airplanes? I am a beginner, but I learn fast and I am patient. My first helicopter was a Blade CPx, and I learned to fly it pretty well now, without breaking too much parts.

What type of airplanes do you like? I like small planes. Also, I would like the plane to run on 1S batteries, because I have a lot of them and I have a good charger for 1S (only for 1S...). I love the look of planes with a wing in the middle of the plane, like the pole cat by ParkZone. I also love the look of the Extra 300 3D (no longer available...). But, I know that I can't fly those planes... not yet. I don't like planes that looks like replicates of real one use it different wars.

What weather conditions will you be flying in? No wind. Open air. A big park with no trees. Also, in my backyard, but this is optional. I also go in a school gym sometimes.

I have a budget of 280$. That's why I was looking to buy 2 planes : a night vapor and another one. Please don't take in mind my budget because I can put a little bit more if I find the perfect plane. But, for a small plane running on 1S, I'm pretty sure I won't break my budget!

Again, thanks a lot for you help.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:56 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i say get a champ and a mini vapor. the champ is 3ch and super easy, but also super fun (not real sure why!) and the mini vapor by all reports is a true indoor flyer.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:39 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
And yes, the Champ will bind to your DX6i. It's a very gentle and forgiving plane and if you fly it around half throttle it looks very scale like in the way it flies. It can also loop and spin and if you are good it can do some pretty nice rolls. You also get a spare transmitter for emergencies.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
"Free" in Christ!
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
852 Posts
Fun, but not 4 ch.
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:12 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by franboud View Post
Thanks for your infos.

I will be flying it outside in a pretty big park. I would like the plane to be micro because I will also fly it indoor in a gym.

The Champ? Can I bind it to my DX6i?

For now I am planning to by :
- Night Vapor (for backyard flying)
- UM Trojan (but not sure about this one...)
- Of course, some spare parts...!

Thanks again.

Ps : What about EPP foamies? Is there a way to buy one ready to be plug with my receiver?
That sounds pretty good.... I would suggest one of the AS3X warbirds for your park flyer... the difference in flight is almost unbelievable... my AS3x gee bee flies like its on rails compared to by UM p-51... wind affects it less, and poor flying affects it less... there are a couple 1S AS3X planes....

For the indoor plane, The vapor is a good choice...

As for EPP, its really not necessary at this scale, the reason no one does it in the UM size is it would make the planes MUCH heavier as well as less rigid... EPP is much floppier and heavier, not to mention thicker than the stuff the e-flight/parkzone planes are made of...
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
I have several small EPP planes, but I haven't really found many RTF EPP planes, especially 4ch.
There however some Walmart type EPP planes that can be converted to regular 3 or 4ch planes, especially with the newer micro rc gear.

Here's a AirHog micro, that after I converted it, was still under 1oz.
It's able to fly in some wind and because its so light and the motors are in the rear, it can crash over and over again without much damage.

I also converted another EPP plane to ailerons and elevator, its a bit bigger, about the size of the HZ Champ, and flys well in the wind, because it has a semi-symmetrical airfoil and is around 3ozs with regular Rc gear in it, two 6g servos, Berg 4ch and a 340mah 2 cell lipo.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:45 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
You could go ahead and get a t-28, fly it, and if it gets busted up, take the guts and transfer them to a easy to build EPP plane that will take a lot more punishment.
Your going to have to learn to build some day. If you build it, it's easier to repair!

Here's one of my favorites, the smaller Zoom, by Hacker. Just a bit bigger than the HZ Champ. I'm thinking about making some a bit smaller.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:28 PM
Joined Mar 2013
9 Posts
Thanks again.

With all your tips, I think I'm going to replace the Vapor by a Champ. I don't need the plane to fly indoors (except in a school gym), and you all seem to say that the Champ is more fun to fly. Also, I like the fact that you have a controller, so if I buy another plane I can invite a friend over and we can fly the planes together.

Now, I have to decide which 4 channels plane to buy.

@Butch777 : I like the idea of buying a UM T-28 and if I break it, transfer the electronic to an EPP plane. The Hacker Zoom 4U looks great! But, will the electronic and the 1S batteries be enough power to make it fly? They say it's better to use 2S.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,579 Posts
The one I'm thinking of building will need a 2s to fly.
I'll use the guts from a crashed Stryker UM, and lighten the Zoom airframe.
Hacker makes a smaller EPP Mini Zoom, but I haven't seen it in the US yet.
I was going to make a EPP Mini Zoom and use some of my Champ guts, but I sold most of them.