SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2014, 08:32 PM
Australia, SA, Victor Harbor
Joined Jan 2008
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan View Post
Problem with that is when you turn on the radio, make sure the flap stick is in the extended position. Otherwise the servos will try to snap to the close position!

Brian, an EAJ
Depending on the servos used I guess, I'm using JRs with slow start function which stops that issue.

Or just make the switch position part of the pre start.
greenfeet is offline Find More Posts by greenfeet
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:47 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,836 Posts
Another weekend of aerotowing with the Blanik and it was wonderful. The air was really smooth with just a few gentile breezes and the Blanik was in its element. I really love flying a ship that has mass especially once it is trimmed out to my liking. Every movement of the stick produced a corresponding action which was 100% linier. With almost no turbulence to disturb its flight, the Blanik flew on and I got a good chance to trim all 5 flight modes and evaluate just how much camber it will accept and just how slow it will fly. Its amazing how this ship floats with camber and still retains its maneuverability. This ship is the best landing scalie I've ever had, and I've had to rethink my strategy for landing with this one. My moniker of never slow a scalie down "especially when landing" means nothing with the Blanik as it never gets going fast. Even with no wind you don't really need the flaps or the spoilers as the normal speed of the ship in cruise mode is about 22 mph. Going well down wind on the base leg is not necessary as you can do a short turn to final from almost any altitude and still land short. Even in the dive to the runway its hard to get this ship to speed up. With the flaps at 25 degrees and full spoilers and you can dive at the runway at 45 degrees and not speed up much at all. I had several landings with long roll outs that stopped within 5' of where I was standing and two of these I had to step out of the way.

The telemetry is still iffy with maybe 60% of the reports providing accurate data and the rest false data or the "no data" report. I did get her to 2100' and well up wind and was straining my eye sight.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Aug 23, 2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:32 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,836 Posts
I lost one of the blue wing tip at the last Aerotow. It must have come off while I was way up and way out as we could not fine it anywhere. I contacted Horizon Last Monday and it appears this $5 part may not be available separately as its part of the wing assembly. They took my name and phone number and said they would look into it but have not called me back yet. I will call them again Monday morning.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:51 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
I got the same answer when I ask for a replacement canopy, the answer was it was part of the fuselage so I have to buy a new fuselage to get the canopy. May be making a balsa part is not that hard?

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 24, 2014, 05:59 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,209 Posts
Wha??

The part number for the canopy and windscreen is in this thread somewhere.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Aug 24, 2014, 11:20 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,836 Posts
I do believe the canopy is available now
Old Aug 25, 2014, 03:16 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,836 Posts
Horizon Hobbies comes through again. This is the main reason I fly JR and Spektrum. The Horizon Hobbies people are the best. I contacted them again this AM and they are sending me a set of the wing tips. They could not find a product number and stated their was no way to charge me for them so they are going to mail me new tips at no charge. This is product service at its finest. Keep up the great service and I'll be a customer for life.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:48 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,117 Posts
Brian,

You have been complaining about the canopy kit since the beginning of this thread. Here is the part number EFL491014. They are in stock just go order one. I bought two recently after messing mine up so I would have a spare and glad I did because mine got broke again thanks to a hard landing when I let a friend fly my plane. Will be ordering another why they have them so I still have spare.

See Ya,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:50 PM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,117 Posts
Guys has anyone that has gad to make repairs found a paint that matches the fuse color pretty close? I am having to do some structural and cosmetic repairs to the front end of mine and I am hoping to avoid painting the entire fuse.

Thanks,

Pat
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Sep 02, 2014, 07:40 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmccleave View Post
Brian,

You have been complaining about the canopy kit since the beginning of this thread. Here is the part number EFL491014. They are in stock just go order one. I bought two recently after messing mine up so I would have a spare and glad I did because mine got broke again thanks to a hard landing when I let a friend fly my plane. Will be ordering another why they have them so I still have spare.

See Ya,

Pat
Pat,

I have a set of canopy now, it was sent to me free of charge. I was saying for the parts that is not available, at the beginning they could not sell the canopy separately, now they do, so that would be the same for the "tip tanks"!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Sep 02, 2014, 10:37 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Feb 2005
413 Posts
That Blanik is a real sweet hart, I have flown with it for a year now, and I have just been very impressed by the flying characteristics of the machine.

It is super easy on tow with its natural high attitude on the back of the towplane
The range of CG is HUGE 20-80mm, making quite impossible to have a bad first flight
The range of speed is really good, and allow the plane to fly in every wind conditions
The wings are super strong and can handle positive and negative aerobatics manoeuvers as snap roll.
I really like the fin, that I kept removable, it fit really well is small cars

Peter, you did a real great job designing that glider!

I swapped it with a buddy couple weeks ago as this plane is much more docile than the plane my friend was flying with. And guess what he love it now!

WHAT DID I DO! I miss it already!

This bird is meant for spreading the aerotowing around
And on top of that you can have parts ! (nobody crash right?)

Well done again Horizon to let us grow the aerotowing community

My last flying session with MY former Blanik (nostalgia...)

E Flite Blanik @ HH Aerotow 2014 (1 min 42 sec)

Stéphane
sruelle is offline Find More Posts by sruelle
Old Today, 06:28 PM
Volt Power
Joined Dec 2007
18 Posts
Blanik Suspention Mod (0 min 7 sec)

suspension spring from a strat! (0 min 17 sec)
jetheliset is online now Find More Posts by jetheliset