SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:28 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Panic over! When I got home the wing was as straight as previously.So to pass the time I lined the seat area with some 1/32 ply,attached the strips to the seat and bolted it in place.A gentle clamp pulled the l/e tight to the seat while I drilled out for a locating pin.Just a 3mm alu pin for now.
Trimmed the former top and the block to allow me to fair the canopy line to the wing apex.
I need to do a bit of reading up on the best place to install a weight to balance the wing.I'm guessing the mac.With the servos in the 10g weight does the trick.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Some work on the fairing.Canopy blank built up,and wing extended to cover the former.After a bit of sanding canopy blank taped and some filler to build up the sides.Some more sanding here next,I'm going to leave the wing front till the l/e's are on,I'm wondering if I could use a section of the wing bed to make fillets on the lower surface.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Got struck by a bout of the dreaded sanding.I tapered the trailing edges and filled and sanded the canopy plug.I'll harden this with ca and then prime and wet dry sand it.
Made up the wing skins over taped templates.
This a/m set up the boards for the wing.I cut some lam.floor to the size of the bed and spray glued in place.Then did a dry run ,using block and clamps as stops to position everything.
Whilst trying the empty buckets to see how the weight would be distributed,I realised that I'd never done a full span wing with weight on this bench.So to eliminate any chance of it bowing I cobbled together a prop at the centre.I've been considering laying some steel channel to support it,looks more and more like a good idea.
The deed is done.Full buckets plus a clamp either end,more timber on top to spread the weight.As the t/e is outside the beds I've clipped it to make sure of a good joint.
If preparation is all as the saying goes,this should be ok.About 4hours work before I put brush to epoxy!
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Tapatalk decided it didn't like my other pics,but here they are for your delight and amusement
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
We have a wing!I've given it all a prelim.sanding,using some concave/ convex foam blocks in an attempt to preserve the foil shape.The 3rd pic shows how it beds down onto the neoprene strip.I'm going to have a go at foam fillets so these will be hidden.
And a bench fly sans tail,which is covered in filler at the moment.
All in all I'm quite pleased with how this has gone(so far)
Next-l/e's and tips.And some research on the best way to cover,I need to achieve a balance between durability and weight.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:55 PM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
732 Posts
Can't wait to see it fly !
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FZ5: design phase
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post
Can't wait to see it fly !
You and me both!Still quite a bit to do,but it's all detail stuff from now on.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Bit of fillet doodling.Some filler,and this will do.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
In between other jobs I gave the fin a dose of the filler/sand/primer treatment.With the wing attached,propped the plane up level on the board,and checked across the canopy base with the straight edge.With everything squared to lines laid
out on masking tape,centred the front of the fin using the waxed paper template,and got even measurements from the fin apex to the l/e tips.And a square to check for 90* to the board.I must have done something right as every thing fell into place without any persuasion.Next carefully remove the wing,apply some glue to the fin/fus joint and recheck.The fin is a good tight fit so wont need clamping.
With the fin fixed I can use some filler to fair it into the fuselage and get the whole thing prepared for final paint.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:58 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,645 Posts
A nice straight model is a joy.

Any idea what the approximate weight might be??
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:10 PM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,826 Posts
I predict that this plane's flying weight will be 985 grams.......(glassed wing)
er...ah, oh you were asking Stuart.

Well that's my guess.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SW-7 Final flaps
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkS View Post
A nice straight model is a joy.

Any idea what the approximate weight might be??
Hi Herks,mind reading?I'd just put all the bits on the scale,810grms.You'll probably have more idea than me how much light glass and paint will add.
Stuart
------- plus wood l/e,filler around the fin joint,fillets-----Kents figure might not be far off
Last edited by Stupot46; Feb 05, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:18 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
A word about the wing.It's turned out very rigid,and despite my best efforts,nice and straight.Verns spar system is so simple to do,I'll certainly be using it again.Sans leading edge it weighs 440grms.I was going to glass it but is that necessary?Iirc each balsa skin took 20plus grms of epoxy,so at least 4x that plus cloth is a lot of weight.
I may follow Vern again,use tissue,paint and a thinned clear varnish.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:46 AM
InceCreations
Joined Jul 2009
732 Posts
Hi Stuart,

For glassing, I calculated about 250gr/per m2 surface
(what I've seen when glassing my MIG15:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...errerid=271334).

Note that with balsa, I expect more epoxy to be pulled into the wood. I would say about 25% more.

This is with 25gr/m2 gloth and 2 layers of epoxy.

So if you have a 20dm2 wingarea, the added weight would be = 20/100 * 2 * 250 = 100gr.

What is the added weight for what you mentionned "tissue, paint and clear varnish" ?
vincent123 is offline Find More Posts by vincent123
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vincent123; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent123 View Post

Note that with balsa, I expect more epoxy to be pulled into the wood. I would say about 25% more.

This is with 25gr/m2 gloth and 2 layers of epoxy.

So if you have a 20dm2 wingarea, the added weight would be = 20/100 * 2 * 250 = 100gr.

What is the added weight for what you mentionned "tissue, paint and clear varnish" ?
Thats a good question to which I do not have an answer.I've put my top man onto researching this(me)Results expected shortly